collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by garyellis
[Today at 10:55:43 PM]

NSWE Investment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 10:51:17 PM]

Fan Voted Player of the Year by Dave
[Today at 10:44:27 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by Dogtanian
[Today at 10:41:39 PM]

Champions League Contention by dave.woodhall
[Today at 10:28:40 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:28:12 PM]

Kits 23/24 by KRS
[Today at 09:53:38 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by brontebilly
[Today at 09:51:21 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by garyellis
[Today at 10:55:43 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 10:53:46 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 10:51:17 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by dave.woodhall
[Today at 10:50:00 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 10:45:16 PM]

Re: Fan Voted Player of the Year by Dave
[Today at 10:44:27 PM]

Re: Peter McParland 90 today by Dogtanian
[Today at 10:41:39 PM]

Re: Fan Voted Player of the Year by Monty
[Today at 10:38:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: UEFA Europa Conference League - Alkmaar, Legia and Zrinjski  (Read 372750 times)

Offline Nii Lamptey

Re: Europe
« Reply #960 on: April 26, 2023, 11:08:32 PM »
Cannot believe where we are compared to our prospects last November.
Nas bringing in the best manager we’ve had in 40 years, has turned the club around in the space of 5 short months! 
And next season should be even better…..

European football to look forward to (hopefully!), Lerner’s blot of a badge finally exorcised from memory, (being replaced with that new majestic round badge), and the already mighty Villa Park getting a facelift in the form of a shiny new North Stand. In March next year, it’s also the club’s 150th anniversary!

This feels different to the false dawns of the past… There’s just an overriding sense that these guys know what they’re doing.

In terms of European qualification, I reckon Brighton along with Spurs will falter, which means if we go all in to win all 5 remaining games, we finish 5th. If we do that, the only team who can mathematically overtake us are Brighton.

European football as well as finishing above Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs would be bloody brilliant! UTV

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #961 on: April 26, 2023, 11:36:34 PM »
One result went for us, the other didn't. 4 of Liverpool's remaining games are at home, including to us. Still in our hands though.

Brighton result was a big one.  They have got three games in hand on us, npbut now have to win two of those if we can match their points tally in the other five games.  First one is Manchester United next week, so a tough one.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #962 on: April 26, 2023, 11:50:55 PM »
One result went for us, the other didn't. 4 of Liverpool's remaining games are at home, including to us. Still in our hands though.

Brighton result was a big one.  They have got three games in hand on us, npbut now have to win two of those if we can match their points tally in the other five games.  First one is Manchester United next week, so a tough one.

Way to look at things. If Brighton lose to all of Newcastle, Arsenal and us away and Man. City at home they can only reach a maximum of 61 points (and that's with us on at least 57 points).

I think they might drop some points in other games, Wolves are a tough team to break down if they score first so could see that being 1-1.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #963 on: April 26, 2023, 11:51:04 PM »
Finishing higher than Brighton and Spurs is our target. Liverpool likely take 5th. After today 6th is very possible.

Offline Dick Edwards

« Reply #964 on: April 27, 2023, 07:05:40 AM »
Finishing higher than Brighton and Spurs is our target. Liverpool likely take 5th. After today 6th is very possible.

Absolutely this. Liverpool winning last night will keep Manchester United motivated tonight against Tottenham.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #965 on: April 27, 2023, 07:19:18 AM »
Emery has managed the team brilliantly with a depleted squad, we have key players out, one which we may not see in a Villa shirt again.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #966 on: April 27, 2023, 09:54:03 AM »
I think we're going to go on a bit of a drawing spree now which may weigh us down. Fascinated to see if we have another Newcastle performance in us but our run-in is tough.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #967 on: April 27, 2023, 09:58:25 AM »
I think we're going to go on a bit of a drawing spree now which may weigh us down. Fascinated to see if we have another Newcastle performance in us but our run-in is tough.

If Spurs lose tonight and to us, that could be the difference-maker we need to make top seven.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #968 on: April 27, 2023, 09:59:42 AM »
Brighton have got a tricky run in as well, and they're also playing twice a week for the rest of the season. They've got Arsenal, Man City, Man U, Newcastle and us in their remaining fixtures.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #969 on: April 27, 2023, 10:04:35 AM »
I don't think the players will be going into the remaining five games jaded. They have had no cup games, not many midweek games at all, and from here on in they won't have another midweek game. And against Man Utd we will have had 2 more days to rest than they will. I'm thinking we'll take 7 points from the next 3 games.

So the question remains, why do we always look more knackered despite having more rest time than the team that played a couple of days before, normally in some forgotten corner of Europe?

Villa dominated the game in the first half against Fulham. Not so much in the 2nd half it's true but I think that was at least partly down to conserving energy. We saw out the game without much trouble so good strategy. Hopefully that will be to our advantage V Manure.

It would also help if they draw 5-5 with Spurs, get 15 minutes injury time and 2 players sent off.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #970 on: April 27, 2023, 10:09:02 AM »
Brighton have got a tricky run in as well, and they're also playing twice a week for the rest of the season. They've got Arsenal, Man City, Man U, Newcastle and us in their remaining fixtures.

If we beat Brighton on the last day of the season we'll most probably finish above them. Possibly also Liverpool if we beat them but obviously a trickier prospect away at Anfield. I've a funny feeling we'll finish 6th (based on absolutely nothing scientific like a results predictor, or anything like that). 

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #971 on: April 27, 2023, 10:22:20 AM »
I think we're underselling how good we actually are - We have the second best form in the league (*with an absolutely exceptional manager!), so we should be seen on an equal footing with pretty much every team bar Man City imo.

Ollie seems to always up his game against the big guns, and I wouldn't be surprised to see us pull maximum points from Old Trafford and Anfield. We're going to have to start to get out of that mindset that we're the underdog at some point, if we want to succeed. Even if Kamara is out for the remainder of the season, Dougie, JJ and McGinn are more than a match for their midfield lineups..... Curtis Jones FFS!?

The one I'm least confident about is Wolves away, so I'm wagering we'll get 13 out of 15 points. UTV!

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #972 on: April 27, 2023, 10:25:56 AM »
I think we're underselling how good we actually are - We have the second best form in the league (*with an absolutely exceptional manager!), so we should be seen on an equal footing with pretty much every team bar Man City imo.

Ollie seems to always up his game against the big guns, and I wouldn't be surprised to see us pull maximum points from Old Trafford and Anfield. We're going to have to start to get out of that mindset that we're the underdog at some point, if we want to succeed. Even if Kamara is out for the remainder of the season, Dougie, JJ and McGinn are more than a match for their midfield lineups..... Curtis Jones FFS!?

The one I'm least confident about is Wolves away, so I'm wagering we'll get 13 out of 15 points. UTV!

It's not so much that I'm not confident we can win up at Klanfield or the Theatre of Memes, more the probability of this ridiculous run coming to a halt at the hands of a bent ref in those venues.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #973 on: April 27, 2023, 10:28:28 AM »

It's not so much that I'm not confident we can win up at Klanfield or the Theatre of Memes, more the probability of this ridiculous run coming to a halt at the hands of a bent ref in those venues.

Fair point. Especially at this end of the season where the powers that be don't want to upset the status quo.

On the subject of cheating, is that Toby jugheaded cheat, Bruno Fernandes crocked? Saw an image of him in a protective boot with crutches on Monday? That's another big plus for us if he's out.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #974 on: April 27, 2023, 10:31:03 AM »
Hopefully, and I hope they give Spurs a good twatting tonight, causing the Spurs players to lose it and start kicking them all over the place. That would be grand.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal