collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dennis Mortimer Villa Legend  (Read 11163 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Dennis Mortimer Villa Legend
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2017, 11:22:45 PM »
I've spent a few years getting some memorabilia signed by villa players especially from the European cup winners. It took me ages to meet Dennis Mortimer though, him and Gary Williams. I didn't think those two did many appearances.

I've got an old yellow number 3 Henson away shirt that Gary Williams wore at the sty in 1986 for the Frank Worthington testimonial. (I know, I'm not sure why Worthington qualified for a testimonial after playing for them for just three years). My bluenose uncle was a steward around the dressing room area and pinched it for me.

3 years is a lifetime with them, and anyway they consider loan signings "Blooze Legunds".

One their all time greats was there six months, for fucks sake.

The Holy Trinity. United had Best, Charlton and Law. Small Heath had John Stern, Effeminate Martins and the Irish defender who gave a rude hand gesture to the vile fans. # Blues Legend.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2017, 12:58:16 AM »
I've spent a few years getting some memorabilia signed by villa players especially from the European cup winners. It took me ages to meet Dennis Mortimer though, him and Gary Williams. I didn't think those two did many appearances.

Mortimer's always been a bit of a contrary sod and Williams has never been part of the ex-players circuit.

I have just recalled that a bloke I knew in Shanghai swore that Gary Williams ended up working in a pub in or near York.  Any idea if that is true?

This is true because I had a pint (twenty odd years ago) in said pub and couldn't believe who was serving me - it was Gary Williams, himself!  I can't remember what the pub was called, it was a bit of a boozy, surreal weekend.

Brilliant - cheers for confirming. The fella I met always seemed straight up but as we usually crossed paths at 3-4 in the morning I thought I may have imagined that anecdote!

Offline ez

« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2017, 11:01:27 AM »

I've got an old yellow number 3 Henson away shirt that Gary Williams wore at the sty in 1986 for the Frank Worthington testimonial. (I know, I'm not sure why Worthington qualified for a testimonial after playing for them for just three years). My bluenose uncle was a steward around the dressing room area and pinched it for me.

3 years is a lifetime with them, and anyway they consider loan signings "Blooze Legunds".

One their all time greats was there six months, for fucks sake.

The Holy Trinity. United had Best, Charlton and Law. Small Heath had John Stern, Effeminate Martins and the Irish defender who gave a rude hand gesture to the vile fans. # Blues Legend.

That reminds me of that really tall player blues had, a mate of Ian Taylor i think. Anyway he had a video about himself called The Legend.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2017, 11:29:23 AM »
Kevin Francis? I think he started at Derby and came on at The Baseball Ground against us in the early nineties. It might have been Cascarino's debut. He was about ten foot tall. The Villa fans in the away end were singing "What the f***ing hell is that".

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2017, 11:34:36 AM »
Kevin Francis? I think he started at Derby and came on at The Baseball Ground against us in the early nineties. It might have been Cascarino's debut. He was about ten foot tall. The Villa fans in the away end were singing "What the f***ing hell is that".

An old joke:

Trevor Francis is manager of the Blues and they turn up to train but the pitches are frozen, so Trev takes them all inside to the gym. However, as they walk in there is a clearly human large turd in the laying right before their eyes.

"Who's shit on the floor?" says Beelzebub.

"Me boss, but I'm good in the air" replies Kevin.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2017, 01:08:38 PM »

He used to live opposite a mate of mine in Bromsgrove when he was at the Blues. Really lovely bloke by all accounts - I remember his kids being very polite.

Offline Holte132

« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2023, 11:54:38 AM »
Met the legend that is Dennis Mortimer at Lichfield Market this morning. He was signing copies of the Champions of Europe publication that was done for last year's 40th anniversary. Lovely man!

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2023, 03:48:33 PM »
Met the legend that is Dennis Mortimer at Lichfield Market this morning. He was signing copies of the Champions of Europe publication that was done for last year's 40th anniversary. Lovely man!
I have met him twice and he was a lovely bloke.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2023, 04:34:10 PM »
I met him in Kingsteignton, a small village near me in Devon. The South West Lions managed to arrange for him to come to one of the meets. He was great, he stayed for the match we watched and had photos with anyone who asked.

Offline enigma

« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2023, 05:13:19 PM »

He used to live opposite a mate of mine in Bromsgrove when he was at the Blues. Really lovely bloke by all accounts - I remember his kids being very polite.
Became a Canadian Mountie after retiring from football.

Offline Grande Pablo

« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2023, 08:08:40 PM »

I got a few bits signed & a photo this morning too.  Quietest signing I've ever been too.  Martyn who runs the picture stall (& who does all Mortimer's framed memorabilia) is a top bloke.

Offline Holte132

« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2023, 09:42:24 PM »

I got a few bits signed & a photo this morning too.  Quietest signing I've ever been too.  Martyn who runs the picture stall (& who does all Mortimer's framed memorabilia) is a top bloke.

I hadn't seen any publicity at all about the signing. Just happened to be walking through Market Square and noticed the claret and blue!

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2023, 10:15:08 AM »
I met him in Kingsteignton, a small village near me in Devon. The South West Lions managed to arrange for him to come to one of the meets. He was great, he stayed for the match we watched and had photos with anyone who asked.

I think I stayed there, had a very pleasant afternoon in a pub called Church Tavern near the river.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2023, 01:45:40 PM »

I think I stayed there, had a very pleasant afternoon in a pub called Church Tavern near the river.

Would that be The Church House Inn, on the River Teign, just along from Shaldon?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal