collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread  (Read 391261 times)

Online FatSam

Re: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread
« Reply #2310 on: January 24, 2023, 10:24:05 PM »
My concern would be that Henrique is one year into a six year contract at Betis. Better to sign Brazilian players directly from their Brazilian clubs surely? That’s what Man City and Chelsea do. An international scouting network could be funded by the premium paid on transfers for another club to find the player.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 10:28:50 PM by FatSam »

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #2311 on: January 24, 2023, 10:30:42 PM »
My concern would be that Henrique is one year into a six year contract at Betis. Better to sign Brazilian players directly from their Brazilian clubs surely?

Agree. We should be more savvy - buy the tapioca when it’s ejected from their father’s nob.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2312 on: January 24, 2023, 10:52:14 PM »
If a villa side were to win the double there would still be people moaning about the tactics, the manager, the subs made/not made, some signing that hadn't contributed enough or one of the longer-serving players not being good enough for where we want to go etc etc. The older you get the more you realise this.

I’m old, but still as guilty as anyone

If social media was about in 81 I’d have probably been moaning about Ken Mcnaught
‘Not mobile enough, makes too many mistakes, not comfortable on the ball’ you know that kind of shit

« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 10:54:17 PM by john e »

Offline LeonW

« Reply #2313 on: January 24, 2023, 11:17:31 PM »
That the 4-4-2 formation is working so well at the moment is a bit amazing really. Buendia isn't a winger, nor is Ramsey/McGinn and Bailey isn't a striker. Does anybody know what Emery likes to play when he's got a settled team of his own to work with?

I don't think it's working that well with the ball to be honest. It was great first day out v Man United when we over ran them in the middle. Spurs away too, once we opened up in the second half it was too much for them. But when our CBs are pressed hard we are in trouble getting the ball through the lines. I think Wolves and Leeds showed how we can be exposed. Stick 3 v 2 in midfield to neutralise our strongest players (Kamara/Luiz) and press our CBs hard. Both games it took until half time to switch Buendia into the middle. We won't get away with Moreno/Buendia defensively against better teams. Ramsey isn't in great form either. McGinn is a loss and I think will replace Buendia v Leicester.

I'm not sure why Emery won't switch to 4231 permanently but I think he wants to leave Bailey high up the pitch. To be fair it worked v Leeds early on.

We had 575 passes at Southampton, came away with a clean sheet and all three points. You are way too down on our progress compared to just a few months ago. We have a manger that is willing to change and adapt his style in order to put the best team out to get results.

Despite 575 passes, Martinez still had to make an unbelievable save to keep the game scoreless at a crucial time and our winner came from a set piece. I can't recall another clear cut chance in the second half despite owning the ball. I really admire the defensive resilience Emery has implemented but with the ball I have increasing concerns about the 442 setup.

I think you're talking absolute nonsense. If we had better attackers, things would probably be more comfortable. IMO the set up is good but we've got bailey/watkins/buendia who I think all need improving on. Set up isn't the issue, we need more quality.

Also can't believe you'd be questioning the set up given the results after 3 months in the job, and the rabble we were when he took over

Moon a stick you want

How did Gerrard get on early on? Any number on here were willing to anoint him as the chosen one 12 months ago based on a similar start to Emery. Maybe those players you mention are the problem as too inconsistent etc but I think tactically we have a problem with the setup of the forward four. The other seven are fine, especially if Carlos comes back fully fit and helps our ability to play out from the back under pressure.

If there’s a problem with the tactical set up, you’d bet on Emery to fix it. These things take time. Look at the managers he’s outwitted already (like Ten Haag and Conte) and look at the teams we’ve picked up points against already. It doesn’t have to be perfect now, but whilst the team is transitioning we’re picking up points and results way beyond where we could reasonably expect.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2314 on: January 24, 2023, 11:57:16 PM »
If a villa side were to win the double there would still be people moaning about the tactics, the manager, the subs made/not made, some signing that hadn't contributed enough or one of the longer-serving players not being good enough for where we want to go etc etc. The older you get the more you realise this.

Easily the most boring thing is fans moaning about other fans.

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2315 on: January 25, 2023, 12:09:25 AM »
I have no problem with anybody reserving judgment, because while our league results have been excellent, the performances have left plenty to be desired. But I do think it's easy to forget that Emery hasn't only had to improve us, he's also had to undo the damage caused by Gerrard (nothing personal, no bitterness from me, but he had the team performing as less than the sum of their parts).

Turning around a team's form isn't easy: Gerrard rightly got credit after his first half-dozen games, but he failed to build on it. I have a lot more faith in Emery to make long-term positive changes (for many reasons), and frankly I'm over the fucking moon with about 95% of what I've seen, but if somebody takes a bit more convincing than a brief upturn in form and two cup exits, so be it.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2316 on: January 25, 2023, 12:25:18 AM »
When they were shite, before Keegan and the Everybody's Second Team bollocks, Newcastle supporters were sound. Now they're arses. 

Online Rory

« Reply #2317 on: January 25, 2023, 12:37:51 AM »
When they were shite, before Keegan and the Everybody's Second Team bollocks, Newcastle supporters were sound. Now they're arses.

I've no doubt that if I lived or worked in Newcastle for a while, I'd find many who are grand. Unfortunately I've only met four or five who have moved away yet still insist on waxing lyrical about how fecking brilliant Newcastle is - so brilliant they left.

It doesn't help that I arrived late to the game we relegated them in 2009 and saw the utter state they left Witton roundabout in, had a glass bottle thrown at me by a twat in a Newcastle shirt in 2010 (in Cambridge, of all places) and I've known two or three Mackems who were absolutely sound and hated Newcastle.

Pretty much the only positive I can think of is that Shearer has always seemed very balanced - complimentary if anything - when talking about Villa. That must take some doing after the pisstaking he personally suffered from the Holte.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2318 on: January 25, 2023, 01:11:00 AM »
Newcastle had the Keegan/Dalglish/Gullit (to a point) and Shearer years where they had full houses, competed in Europe and nearly won the league. From a media standpoint they were a superb story against the evil Man U empire and threatened to become something in the battle for trophies for years to come. They operate in one club market too and get talked about with disproportionate reverence. They also play the victim role to perfection as a sleeping giant despite not having won much ever. But they disappeared up their own arses quickly, had a series of shit managers and went down hilariously. But they present a much more appetizing story of redemption than we do because our recent moments of relevance were not as exciting as theirs.

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #2319 on: January 25, 2023, 01:45:31 AM »
my sentiments also

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #2320 on: January 25, 2023, 02:03:26 AM »
Geordie used to live by us in the eighties and we went up in a mini bus to the Villa game and his relatives put all of us up for the weekend, went to the local pubs and no one gave us any problems, probably because we knew the family couldn't fault them really,we continue going up on non-football occasions, truthfully one of the best memories of my life.Met a few younger lads in Benidorm and they were the same, there was a older gent who used to work on the Wolverhampton Road that's how we got chatting,he was seventy and keeping a eye on them, pretty sure he was drinking them under the table,had a great time with them as well,miss them days

Online Rory

« Reply #2321 on: January 25, 2023, 02:13:26 AM »
Newcastle had the Keegan/Dalglish/Gullit (to a point) and Shearer years where they had full houses, competed in Europe and nearly won the league. From a media standpoint they were a superb story against the evil Man U empire and threatened to become something in the battle for trophies for years to come. They operate in one club market too and get talked about with disproportionate reverence. They also play the victim role to perfection as a sleeping giant despite not having won much ever. But they disappeared up their own arses quickly, had a series of shit managers and went down hilariously. But they present a much more appetizing story of redemption than we do because our recent moments of relevance were not as exciting as theirs.

I think you're absolutely right to refer to things as 'appetizing'. Where I disagree is somewhere within that vague PR landscape that has designated London & the North West as the heartlands of English football - with the North-North (Leeds & Newcastle) as the outliers.

Newcastle were decent in the mid-90s and Keegan had his meltdown, then Shearer signed for the club he supports, which is a modern fucking miracle. That's media exposure 25 years ago.

If we market ourselves correctly, we are the club of both the establishment & the modern disenfranchised. We're the guys with the unique name, the unique history, utter dogshite local neighbours within an 80-mile radius.

Put it this way: I work in PR, and I'd take commission work on Villa before fixed rate on the likes of Newcastle.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #2322 on: January 25, 2023, 06:24:48 AM »

Newcastle in the 1990’s and beyond have never been anything more than media hype. The finished second twice in the 90’s to an evil empire in the north west. Sounds like another side closer to home who did it first and also won a couple of trophies along the way. The only reason they present a more interesting story is because they’ve been hyped up to be it by the media. In 1995/96, the great ‘entertainers’ of Newcastle scored 66 league goals - just two more than Everton that season. What could be more appetizing than the return to the top table of a previous league and European cup winner, who had twice come close to winning it before and came back up into the top flight following a shocking relegation? Answers on a postcard.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #2323 on: January 25, 2023, 06:43:00 AM »
Post Keegan nail recently Newcastle fans have had to put up with such crap but still turned up in numbers. Fair play. Now they are fronting a sport washing operation and apparently successful. Would you take that at Villa? For me no, we do things the right way.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #2324 on: January 25, 2023, 06:51:13 AM »
All this talk that we are after another striker (having also signed Duran) - if we do sign another striker, I would imagine Archer will be leaving the club this summer (he won't want to be 4th choice).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal