collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread  (Read 391188 times)

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread
« Reply #2295 on: January 24, 2023, 08:43:39 PM »
That the 4-4-2 formation is working so well at the moment is a bit amazing really. Buendia isn't a winger, nor is Ramsey/McGinn and Bailey isn't a striker. Does anybody know what Emery likes to play when he's got a settled team of his own to work with?

I don't think it's working that well with the ball to be honest. It was great first day out v Man United when we over ran them in the middle. Spurs away too, once we opened up in the second half it was too much for them. But when our CBs are pressed hard we are in trouble getting the ball through the lines. I think Wolves and Leeds showed how we can be exposed. Stick 3 v 2 in midfield to neutralise our strongest players (Kamara/Luiz) and press our CBs hard. Both games it took until half time to switch Buendia into the middle. We won't get away with Moreno/Buendia defensively against better teams. Ramsey isn't in great form either. McGinn is a loss and I think will replace Buendia v Leicester.

I'm not sure why Emery won't switch to 4231 permanently but I think he wants to leave Bailey high up the pitch. To be fair it worked v Leeds early on.

We had 575 passes at Southampton, came away with a clean sheet and all three points. You are way too down on our progress compared to just a few months ago. We have a manger that is willing to change and adapt his style in order to put the best team out to get results.

Despite 575 passes, Martinez still had to make an unbelievable save to keep the game scoreless at a crucial time and our winner came from a set piece. I can't recall another clear cut chance in the second half despite owning the ball. I really admire the defensive resilience Emery has implemented but with the ball I have increasing concerns about the 442 setup.

Making excuses for winning! 

Sure we are nowhere near the finished article but enjoy the win, score loads doesn’t lie

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2296 on: January 24, 2023, 08:49:39 PM »
That the 4-4-2 formation is working so well at the moment is a bit amazing really. Buendia isn't a winger, nor is Ramsey/McGinn and Bailey isn't a striker. Does anybody know what Emery likes to play when he's got a settled team of his own to work with?

I don't think it's working that well with the ball to be honest. It was great first day out v Man United when we over ran them in the middle. Spurs away too, once we opened up in the second half it was too much for them. But when our CBs are pressed hard we are in trouble getting the ball through the lines. I think Wolves and Leeds showed how we can be exposed. Stick 3 v 2 in midfield to neutralise our strongest players (Kamara/Luiz) and press our CBs hard. Both games it took until half time to switch Buendia into the middle. We won't get away with Moreno/Buendia defensively against better teams. Ramsey isn't in great form either. McGinn is a loss and I think will replace Buendia v Leicester.

I'm not sure why Emery won't switch to 4231 permanently but I think he wants to leave Bailey high up the pitch. To be fair it worked v Leeds early on.

We had 575 passes at Southampton, came away with a clean sheet and all three points. You are way too down on our progress compared to just a few months ago. We have a manger that is willing to change and adapt his style in order to put the best team out to get results.

Despite 575 passes, Martinez still had to make an unbelievable save to keep the game scoreless at a crucial time and our winner came from a set piece. I can't recall another clear cut chance in the second half despite owning the ball. I really admire the defensive resilience Emery has implemented but with the ball I have increasing concerns about the 442 setup.

I think you're talking absolute nonsense. If we had better attackers, things would probably be more comfortable. IMO the set up is good but we've got bailey/watkins/buendia who I think all need improving on. Set up isn't the issue, we need more quality.

Also can't believe you'd be questioning the set up given the results after 3 months in the job, and the rabble we were when he took over

Moon a stick you want

How did Gerrard get on early on? Any number on here were willing to anoint him as the chosen one 12 months ago based on a similar start to Emery. Maybe those players you mention are the problem as too inconsistent etc but I think tactically we have a problem with the setup of the forward four. The other seven are fine, especially if Carlos comes back fully fit and helps our ability to play out from the back under pressure.

Online villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #2297 on: January 24, 2023, 08:50:24 PM »

Only one club has a higher points tally since the day Emery took over. I, genuinely, have no idea how you could have "increasing concerns" when we couldn't string three passes together in October and we look better than ever with results against some of our biggest bogey teams.

You're just pissing in your own cheerios.. not sure why.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2298 on: January 24, 2023, 08:58:26 PM »
Our squad isn't one that you think should be winning 5 out of 7. Through organisation, tactics and in-game changes, Emery's been able to get better results than what they would otherwise be able to get. Let's see what he can do when he's backed in the transfer market and able to shape the squad with his players.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2299 on: January 24, 2023, 08:59:09 PM »
If we are now in the market for tier 45m players, I don't understand why we haven't joined the bidding war (rumoured to be around 35m) for Anthony Gordon. (Unless we;re keeping it under the radar?) Fast, skillful, tracks back, wins free kicks, shithousery, not afraid to have a ruck. It would be like signing Ashley Young in 2006
Anthony Gordon is shit. Gets attention because he runs around like a clueless rabid Yorkshire terrier.

Online coreyfeldman

« Reply #2300 on: January 24, 2023, 09:14:43 PM »

I think you're talking absolute nonsense. If we had better attackers, things would probably be more comfortable. IMO the set up is good but we've got bailey/watkins/buendia who I think all need improving on. Set up isn't the issue, we need more quality.

Also can't believe you'd be questioning the set up given the results after 3 months in the job, and the rabble we were when he took over

Moon a stick you want

How did Gerrard get on early on? Any number on here were willing to anoint him as the chosen one 12 months ago based on a similar start to Emery. Maybe those players you mention are the problem as too inconsistent etc but I think tactically we have a problem with the setup of the forward four. The other seven are fine, especially if Carlos comes back fully fit and helps our ability to play out from the back under pressure.

If you were manager we'd win every single game then as you obviously know all the answers

Offline Villan82

« Reply #2301 on: January 24, 2023, 09:15:10 PM »
If a villa side were to win the double there would still be people moaning about the tactics, the manager, the subs made/not made, some signing that hadn't contributed enough or one of the longer-serving players not being good enough for where we want to go etc etc. The older you get the more you realise this.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #2302 on: January 24, 2023, 09:38:44 PM »
If we are now in the market for tier 45m players, I don't understand why we haven't joined the bidding war (rumoured to be around 35m) for Anthony Gordon. (Unless we;re keeping it under the radar?) Fast, skillful, tracks back, wins free kicks, shithousery, not afraid to have a ruck. It would be like signing Ashley Young in 2006
Anthony Gordon is shit. Gets attention because he runs around like a clueless rabid Yorkshire terrier.

And looks like the love child of Claire Balding

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2303 on: January 24, 2023, 09:40:47 PM »

And looks like the love child of Claire Balding

And Zelda from the Terrahawks

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2304 on: January 24, 2023, 09:51:30 PM »
€60m for Luiz Henrique - a Brazilian striker, 10 goals in 89 in Brazil, 1 in 15 in Spain.

Surely not?

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2305 on: January 24, 2023, 10:10:31 PM »
He’s 20, isn’t he? His record isn’t going to count for much at this stage.

Offline Villatillidie25

« Reply #2306 on: January 24, 2023, 10:15:18 PM »

Increasing concerns. He’s been here 5 minutes. Let him keep coaching the team, adding the right players and tweaking tactics for every game and in game before we discard the system

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2307 on: January 24, 2023, 10:18:40 PM »
€60m for Luiz Henrique - a Brazilian striker, 10 goals in 89 in Brazil, 1 in 15 in Spain.

Surely not?

He's a winger from the you tube clips I've seen.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #2308 on: January 24, 2023, 10:22:39 PM »
He likes the Mahrez feignt judging by the obligatory YouTube videos.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2309 on: January 24, 2023, 10:22:47 PM »
He’s 20, isn’t he? His record isn’t going to count for much at this stage.

22 and looks like he plays on the wing more than up front. Not sure where the £60m figure comes from either (it might be true but the links I've seen were £20-25m).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal