collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Unai Emery - our manager  (Read 711747 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Unai Emery - our manager
« Reply #6060 on: September 27, 2023, 10:30:41 PM »
It's a squad game now and other than Mcginn at left back  and Olsen, it wasn't that much of weakened side anyway. They're all internationals.

He would never, ever pick that team for a league game

But we've got 3 games in 9 days from Saturday. He can't play the same team every week. It's not 1982.

I stand by what I said. He doesn't care about cup games and every selection he has made, apart from Hibs away, confirms that.

You do know he's won the Europa League five times? If you think we should  be full strength every game, then fair enough. Every manager probably rotated tonight, not just Emery .

Yep Newcastle made 10 changes for example. Perhaps it just shows we haven't got quality squad depth especially with the injuries.

Plenty of us said we were light in certain places after the summer window but were shouted down.

It’s only September and we’ve already seen chambers and McGinn at full back and it’s been a disaster.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #6061 on: September 27, 2023, 10:31:24 PM »
I stand by what I said. He doesn't care about cup games and every selection he has made, apart from Hibs away, confirms that.

I'm just glad it's called the UEFA Europa Conference League.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6062 on: September 27, 2023, 10:33:13 PM »
"I have to be demanding with them" is rapidly becoming this season's "helping the players be the best version of themselves."

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6063 on: September 27, 2023, 10:34:36 PM »

I'm just glad it's called the UEFA Europa Conference League.

Lest we forget chucking our first group game in that less than a week ago. At least we didn't get knocked out with that.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #6064 on: September 27, 2023, 10:35:02 PM »
And the Emery kicking has started. Wow.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #6065 on: September 27, 2023, 10:36:33 PM »
It's a squad game now and other than Mcginn at left back  and Olsen, it wasn't that much of weakened side anyway. They're all internationals.

He would never, ever pick that team for a league game

But we've got 3 games in 9 days from Saturday. He can't play the same team every week. It's not 1982.

You do know he's won the Europa League five times? If you think we should  be full strength every game, then fair enough. Every manager probably rotated tonight, not just Emery .

Yep Newcastle made 10 changes for example. Perhaps it just shows we haven't got quality squad depth especially with the injuries.

Plenty of us said we were light in certain places after the summer window but were shouted down.

It’s only September and we’ve already seen chambers and McGinn at full back and it’s been a disaster.
This 100%, how we didnt get more fullbacks in is a huge issue (when the youth ones must not be ready to step up). 

I know some of this is the FFP bollocks, but we sold 3 players who certainly couldnt have been any worse then then what we saw today.

Offline Meanwood Villa

« Reply #6066 on: September 27, 2023, 10:37:24 PM »
I love the bloke and I wouldn't want anyone else in the world ad our manager but there's nothing wrong with being pissed off with 3/3 defeats in domestic cup competitions with a weakened team in every single one.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #6067 on: September 27, 2023, 10:37:41 PM »
And the Emery kicking has started. Wow.

'Kicking' is a massive exaggeration. We're saying that, given the expectations, the season isn't going as well as we'd like. There's no need to straw man us like that.

He's a very, very good football manager, not our mum. In fact, he's nobody's mum!

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #6068 on: September 27, 2023, 10:42:27 PM »
He's a very, very good football manager, not our mum. In fact, he's nobody's mum!

Although we are hoping that we've hit the motherlode with him.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #6069 on: September 27, 2023, 10:44:15 PM »
Being pissed off with being beaten is understandable. Coming out and saying he's  making similar soundbites as Steven Fucking Gerrard is just laughable and frankly embarrassing

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #6070 on: September 27, 2023, 10:44:29 PM »
I guess last year, Unai got so much out of the squad - most players barely had a bad game, and we had no injuries.

That was never going to continue, we need the squad but we just havent recruited squad players well enough.  We always look worse with Olsen, Tielemans or Donk in the starting team.  And only having 1 lb and 1 rb isnt helping

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #6071 on: September 27, 2023, 10:44:57 PM »
Being pissed off with being beaten is understandable. Coming out and saying he's  making similar soundbites as Steven Fucking Gerrard is just laughable and frankly embarrassing

I agree that that comparison is quite silly.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #6072 on: September 27, 2023, 10:49:51 PM »
I love Unai, but am not impressed with the way he's approached most cup games since he's been here.

Offline AV84

« Reply #6073 on: September 27, 2023, 10:57:51 PM »
I felt like that line up looked much stronger than the one from Legia and felt like one a manager who wants to win (while resting some) would send out. Obviously I didn't know McGinn was playing LB and that everyone would be shite again. But the McGinn thing aside, the selection should have played better than they did.

Online RamboandBruno

« Reply #6074 on: September 27, 2023, 11:15:49 PM »
I felt like that line up looked much stronger than the one from Legia and felt like one a manager who wants to win (while resting some) would send out. Obviously I didn't know McGinn was playing LB and that everyone would be shite again. But the McGinn thing aside, the selection should have played better than they did.
Agreed. I have no problem with the selection, it should of been good enough to compete with Everton. And as strange as it was seeing McGinn at left back, that wasn’t the reason  we lost the game.
Like Clampy I think making comparisons between Emery’s comments and Gerard’s is stupid, the bloke is on a different fecking planet.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal