collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Tim Iroegbunam by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:57 AM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:04:54 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:47 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:05:56 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:57 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:04:54 AM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:26:18 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:10:15 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by tomd2103
[Today at 12:44:09 AM]

Re: Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Unai Emery - our manager  (Read 711606 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Unai Emery - our manager
« Reply #2070 on: January 02, 2023, 05:51:35 PM »
I like absolutely everything I've seen so far from Unai....apart from that shiny coat.

Pete on the Holy Trinity channel said it'd look nice when it's finished, which I thought was quite appropriate.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2071 on: January 02, 2023, 05:59:43 PM »
While waiting for the last 3 subs to come on, he had a full tactical discussion with Mings (from distance), and you could see this was something planned and discussed at training, as Mings walked away with nods and full understanding of who was going where and for why.

It has been so long since I've seen this in game management that I can't remember who was the last manager able to do this?

Not everything he does will work, but with his record to date, there should be more success than failure.

Looking forward to the next few years with U.E. in charge.

I love the fact that he was making changes here there and everywhere in the last 20-25 mins, some forced through injury some not and i didn’t have a scooby doo what he was doing. But unlike some of our other managers and notably the last one, Unai completely does know what his doing and what he wants from his tweaks to formation and player changes. Conte makes a change to change the course of the game, Unai negates immediately with an unexpected substitution (Cash for Bailey) he’s a chess master.
We have a manager that knows far more than us and it feels great. 

Behave yourself he doesn’t know more than me obvs

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2072 on: January 02, 2023, 06:12:36 PM »
How are we lining up with/without the ball? 

On the TV graphics they suggest we’re playing 442 but neither McGinn or Buendia strike me wide players in a traditional 442, plus Bailey is arguably a winger rather than a striker.

It's a funny one really. I reckon you'd write it down as a 4222 but the truth is our shape changes (but not off the cuff, it's clearly something we've trained for) as we move around the pitch, both in defence and attack. The only 4 who have what I'd consider fixed positions are Mings, Konsa, Kamara and Watkins.

The defensive shape (based on yesterday) is probably the easiest to explain. Until they get to halfway we have 2 banks of 4 and let Bailey and Watkins do some light pressing to limit where players can pass to. As they get over halfway Buendia and McGinn drop into more wingback style positions and Young and Digne press in so we end up as a 6 with far tighter gaps between players. The other 4 then track across the pitch in 2 pairs, with one closing the space and the other holding the centre of the pitch in the 2 lines. It means the only real space for teams is to either go over ther top or try to overload us down one side.

I think this will become pretty familiar away to teams that are expected to attack us.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2073 on: January 02, 2023, 06:18:02 PM »
I like absolutely everything I've seen so far from Unai....apart from that shiny coat.

Pete on the Holy Trinity channel said it'd look nice when it's finished, which I thought was quite appropriate.

He's clearly been speaking to people from Birmingham too much if he's saying that about stuff.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2074 on: January 02, 2023, 06:28:35 PM »

He’s got everything pretty much right in a short space of time. Just a thought, it might be us that are wrong about the coat. Another couple of victories and I’m getting one.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #2075 on: January 02, 2023, 06:52:56 PM »
While waiting for the last 3 subs to come on, he had a full tactical discussion with Mings (from distance), and you could see this was something planned and discussed at training, as Mings walked away with nods and full understanding of who was going where and for why.

It has been so long since I've seen this in game management that I can't remember who was the last manager able to do this?

Not everything he does will work, but with his record to date, there should be more success than failure.

I love the fact that he was making changes here there and everywhere in the last 20-25 mins, some forced through injury some not and i didn’t have a scooby doo what he was doing. But unlike some of our other managers and notably the last one, Unai completely does know what his doing and what he wants from his tweaks to formation and player changes. Conte makes a change to change the course of the game, Unai negates immediately with an unexpected substitution (Cash for Bailey) he’s a chess master.

Sorry John, schoolboy error on my behalf 😉

Offline Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #2076 on: January 02, 2023, 06:53:15 PM »

He’s got everything pretty much right in a short space of time. Just a thought, it might be us that are wrong about the coat. Another couple of victories and I’m getting one.
I'm obviously not a fashion icon. But I want / need a new coat - and I liked it. Where can I get one ?

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2077 on: January 02, 2023, 06:57:37 PM »
https://twitter.com/UnaiEmery_/status/1609653251057532930

Class act, although I am slightly disappointed he has Twitter. I like to think of him spending his free time reading Renaissance literature with a fine wine.

I do all that and still have Twitter.
Not mutually exclusive, Rory.

(I’d probably be a bit challenged organising the Villa midfield to outnumber Spurs’ though.)

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2078 on: January 02, 2023, 07:01:50 PM »

Sorry John, schoolboy error on my behalf 😉

No probs mate, just don’t let it happen again

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2079 on: January 02, 2023, 07:05:13 PM »
There’s the coat that Dyche wear and the one that Emery wears. Kids get the one worn by bloke who speaks better English.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2080 on: January 02, 2023, 07:16:27 PM »
How are we lining up with/without the ball? 

On the TV graphics they suggest we’re playing 442 but neither McGinn or Buendia strike me wide players in a traditional 442, plus Bailey is arguably a winger rather than a striker.

It's a funny one really. I reckon you'd write it down as a 4222 but the truth is our shape changes (but not off the cuff, it's clearly something we've trained for) as we move around the pitch, both in defence and attack. The only 4 who have what I'd consider fixed positions are Mings, Konsa, Kamara and Watkins.

The defensive shape (based on yesterday) is probably the easiest to explain. Until they get to halfway we have 2 banks of 4 and let Bailey and Watkins do some light pressing to limit where players can pass to. As they get over halfway Buendia and McGinn drop into more wingback style positions and Young and Digne press in so we end up as a 6 with far tighter gaps between players. The other 4 then track across the pitch in 2 pairs, with one closing the space and the other holding the centre of the pitch in the 2 lines. It means the only real space for teams is to either go over ther top or try to overload us down one side.

I think this will become pretty familiar away to teams that are expected to attack us.

It changes depending on the opposition.

Offline Chap

• http://www.chap23.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
« Reply #2081 on: January 02, 2023, 07:30:27 PM »
There’s the coat that Dyche wear and the one that Emery wears. Kids get the one worn by bloke who speaks better English.

Brilliant 🤣🤣👍

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #2082 on: January 02, 2023, 08:57:12 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64147229

Highlights the geniuses of how we set up the midfield against Spurs.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2083 on: January 02, 2023, 09:20:39 PM »
The only concern I have at the moment is playing out from the back against a hard press. We got away with it at tottenham because it was very much a slow press.

Same v the Ronaldo/DvB double act at Villa Park. Wolves won't make it as easy for the likes of Konsa and Mings.

Kane and Son were appalling yesterday yet their so called fans took the easy option to boo Emerson Royal when he came on.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2084 on: January 02, 2023, 10:35:39 PM »
Obviously it’s early days, & I don’t want to get carried away only for Villa to spectacularly break my heart again, as per the norm, but he really does look like he knows what he is doing. It’s fabulous to see tactics. It’s incredible to see an actual team. And this is with another persons squad. I’m trying to imagine what it’s like with his own players… Only time will tell if this positivity lasts, but early on, he looks like an actual football manager…

You're right not to get carried away.

I'm not. I don't even think we'll win the Champions League until next year!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal