collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Unai Emery - our manager  (Read 659287 times)

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
Re: Unai Emery - our manager
« Reply #270 on: October 25, 2022, 01:45:33 AM »
WOW!!; this is a major statement as to the direction the owners are wanting the club to go.
 Emery is that step below the level and status of Pep, Klopp, Zidane et al.

I'm sure he was mentioned as a manager Newcastle's new wealthy owners were trying to attract.

A very interesting and exciting appointment out the blue, and maybe the most significant appointment since GT 1987 in restoring the club name and reputation.

No, that was Dean Smith.

Inc challenging the prem top six?

No. I thought you’d have mentioned it if that’s what you meant.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 01:51:29 AM by Percy McCarthy »

Online villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #271 on: October 25, 2022, 01:54:22 AM »
wrong thread.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 01:56:24 AM by villadelph »

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #272 on: October 25, 2022, 02:27:22 AM »
Excellent appointment and exactly all we hoped for - no more mid-level managers, journeymen or potential that might be the next big thing - just go straight to the top table and get an elite, proven manager.

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #273 on: October 25, 2022, 04:06:16 AM »
Really? Who told you this?

It's been widely reported.

Has it? Genuinely interested, I hadn't seen it anywhere and just assumed he'd said no and Emery was second choice.

Fair play to the owners on this, they've nailed it

Multiple reports say we withdrew from negotiations with Amorims representatives. Presumably when Emery had accepted.

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #274 on: October 25, 2022, 04:11:12 AM »
Disgusted however at  his interviewer,Sid Lowe's tweet tonight,.'.his going to Villa is really disappointing,on many levels' What a complete arsehole.

I kind of like Sid Lowe so for now I'm going to interpret that the most generous way I can and that is that he feels it is disappointing for Villareal to lose their manager mid-season and further proof how far La Liga is falling behind the PL.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #275 on: October 25, 2022, 06:52:04 AM »
Excellent appointment, hopefully we will give him time to build a team that we are all proud of

Please Unai, win us the FA Cup and then I will have seen us win the lot!!!

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #276 on: October 25, 2022, 06:56:04 AM »
Excellent appointment and exactly all we hoped for - no more mid-level managers, journeymen or potential that might be the next big thing - just go straight to the top table and get an elite, proven manager.
Absolutely.
I have been saying this since we binned Gerrard.
I still maintain this is the best ‘think big’ appointment since Atkinson.

Online ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #277 on: October 25, 2022, 07:00:07 AM »
Excellent appointment, hopefully we will give him time to build a team that we are all proud of

Please Unai, win us the FA Cup and then I will have seen us win the lot!!!

Show off!

League Cup and Inter TOTO for me

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #278 on: October 25, 2022, 07:08:21 AM »
What formation does he like to play?
4-2-3-1

Thanks PW.  I love that formation. 

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/unai-emery-psg-arsenal-villarreal/#:~:text=Emery%20has%20long%20most%20commonly,a%204%2D4%2D2.

Playing style
Emery has long most commonly favoured a 4-2-3-1 formation, though there have also been occasions he has preferred a 4-4-2. With both systems his team's ability to attack is led by their central midfielders, and the double pivot so often used. At Valencia, David Silva and Éver Banega were influential where at Sevilla, it was Stéphane M'Bia and Daniel Carriço and at Arsenal, Mattéo Guendouzi and Granit Xhaka. Most recently, Dani Parejo and Étienne Capoue or Francis Coquelin have become crucial at Villarreal.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #279 on: October 25, 2022, 07:14:20 AM »
The timing is good with the World Cup break coming up. Unai will have a good five plus weeks to work with most of the squad to get his ideas/tactics across. No doubt some friendlies will be arranged to keep up match fitness.

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #280 on: October 25, 2022, 07:17:06 AM »
The timing is good with the World Cup break coming up. Unai will have a good five plus weeks to work with most of the squad to get his ideas/tactics across. No doubt some friendlies will be arranged to keep up match fitness.

Which of our squad are actually going to the World Cup? Martinez, Cash and??
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 07:20:08 AM by Gerrin »

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #281 on: October 25, 2022, 07:32:11 AM »

Dougie I reckon if he carries on like he is

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #282 on: October 25, 2022, 07:38:35 AM »
WOW!!; this is a major statement as to the direction the owners are wanting the club to go.
 Emery is that step below the level and status of Pep, Klopp, Zidane et al.

I'm sure he was mentioned as a manager Newcastle's new wealthy owners were trying to attract.

A very interesting and exciting appointment out the blue, and maybe the most significant appointment since GT 1987 in restoring the club name and reputation.

No, that was Dean Smith.

Inc challenging the prem top six?

No. I thought you’d have mentioned it if that’s what you meant.

When Deano got the job, i remember feeling almost a little emotional when he stepped out for his first match against Swansea, one of our own and a proper coach after years of rubbish and almost going out of business. Dean by and large did a fantastic job for us  (10 game run, promotion, staying up, cup final, top 11 finish) until he arguably reached his ceiling, with lots of other stuff thrown into the mix that was out of his control (Grealish).

However, in my time supporting the club there have been two contextually ‘big’ names announced that made supporters think ‘wow’ and people outside of Villa sit up and take notice (in UK anyway) and thats prime BFR and MON. The appointment of Emery is easily, easily up there with those, it really could be a sliding doors moment for the club its that big imo, especially after the wasted year we’ve had.

Tough games coming up and its not a catastrophe if we lose to Newcastle on Saturday (although i have sneaky feeling). But do you imagine Emery’s first game if we actually managed to beat Man Utd at home for the first time since I was 20!!

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #283 on: October 25, 2022, 07:39:49 AM »
Re, Lineker, not that it makes right or funny, but I imagine if we scrolled back to forum posts in the Other Games thread when he was Arsenal manager that some of us may have "textually impersonated" him in the same way without anyone batting an eyelid.

I dont think there's any harm meant from Lineker. He seems to have a pop at the right people when he needs to and he's not the kind who's going to tweet it over and over again.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #284 on: October 25, 2022, 07:40:55 AM »

Maybe Mings and Luiz?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal