collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Supporters Trust & Purslow  (Read 13831 times)

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
Re: Supporters Trust & Purslow
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2022, 02:33:50 PM »
I just don't agree with the idea that the only way we can do that is by letting Gerrard spaff money up the wall over and over again. The solution has to be that we get the coach right, see that they're doing the job and then give them the money to make targeted key improvements to the squad and back them to move on the players they don't think fit.

It must be noted, that the club allowed for Gerrard to create a hierarchy where he isn't really the coach. He gave Beale the reigns to comes up with the tactics and take training. Martinez told us all we needed to know when he spilled the beans that SG doesnt really.. do.. anything..? It's not Gerrard's fault that he is seemingly a bit incompetent.. it is, in fact, the club that facilitated and co-signed this structure and seeing as Critchley has done F all since his arrival, there's plenty of blame to go around.

Personally, I would rather the club stick with a DOF or Sporting Director to recruit and identify talent. I certainly wouldn't allow a manager with so little experience to pull the strings.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2022, 02:38:46 PM »
We’re only really going on what Purslow is saying, which may or may not be the full picture.

If you were the owners would you be giving Purslow a tonne more cash to burn with his recent decision making seriously in question. No, you’d tell him he’s on a sell to buy policy unless he shows some serious progress against the milestones set out.

I’m possibly reading too much into this, but it could be that Nas and Wes’ trust in Purslow and his star boy Gerrard is what is currently under the microscope not their ambitions for Villa or there commitment to supporting that financially.

If I’m right, then fair play. If they’re settling for A Purslow/ Gerrard combo with a sell to buy policy then that’d be pretty disappointing as scraping by in the Prem would be about our level with the odd relegation and promotion thrown in.

The thing that I can't quite get my head around is the 'other' stuff. The ground expansion, the investment in the academy, the possible links up with other clubs/Vegas Villains. None of that seems to suggest that they are happy with bobbing around the lower half of the league like we have been doing for the last 18 months - but maybe it has been a big distraction? Or maybe they banking on the popularity of the league in general to sustain us? That seems incredibly short-sighted. But the problem with long-term planning is that this league moves very quickly. This time last season, Newcastle were a laughing stock and Leicester were seen as the main rival to the top 6. Lerner learned the hard way that gradual progression will only last so long before you are overtaken by someone new.

This is what gives me hope that we will continue to progress. We made a bad managerial appointment last year, which happens. What we can't do is let that force us to reassess our ambition as a club. We dust ourselves off and get back on track with someone that kows what they are doing.

As I said, cash injections by the woners to grow the club/brand (I know) make sense, that's effecitvely investing in the club unfrastructure which just adds value and commercial growth, relying on external funding for internal club costs (like wages, transfers, etc) is just a endless moneypit. That's not to say that targeted spending like that isn't needed but you need to get others things right first or you run the risk of doing what we did under Lerner or what Everton have done.

Offline boozey182

• GM : PCM
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2022, 02:58:53 PM »
We’re only really going on what Purslow is saying, which may or may not be the full picture.

If you were the owners would you be giving Purslow a tonne more cash to burn with his recent decision making seriously in question. No, you’d tell him he’s on a sell to buy policy unless he shows some serious progress against the milestones set out.

I’m possibly reading too much into this, but it could be that Nas and Wes’ trust in Purslow and his star boy Gerrard is what is currently under the microscope not their ambitions for Villa or there commitment to supporting that financially.

If I’m right, then fair play. If they’re settling for A Purslow/ Gerrard combo with a sell to buy policy then that’d be pretty disappointing as scraping by in the Prem would be about our level with the odd relegation and promotion thrown in.

The thing that I can't quite get my head around is the 'other' stuff. The ground expansion, the investment in the academy, the possible links up with other clubs/Vegas Villains. None of that seems to suggest that they are happy with bobbing around the lower half of the league like we have been doing for the last 18 months - but maybe it has been a big distraction? Or maybe they banking on the popularity of the league in general to sustain us? That seems incredibly short-sighted. But the problem with long-term planning is that this league moves very quickly. This time last season, Newcastle were a laughing stock and Leicester were seen as the main rival to the top 6. Lerner learned the hard way that gradual progression will only last so long before you are overtaken by someone new.

This is what gives me hope that we will continue to progress. We made a bad managerial appointment last year, which happens. What we can't do is let that force us to reassess our ambition as a club. We dust ourselves off and get back on track with someone that kows what they are doing.

As I said, cash injections by the woners to grow the club/brand (I know) make sense, that's effecitvely investing in the club unfrastructure which just adds value and commercial growth, relying on external funding for internal club costs (like wages, transfers, etc) is just a endless moneypit. That's not to say that targeted spending like that isn't needed but you need to get others things right first or you run the risk of doing what we did under Lerner or what Everton have done.

Yeah, sorry, I probably wasn't clear. What doesn't marry up for me is the forward thinking of all of those 'other' things with the Gerrard appointment and subsequent transfer policy. I love all of those investments - it's a progressive way to grow the 'brand' (yuck), while generating potential revenue streams. But at the same time we seem to be incredibly short term on the first team front, and really not very good at it. If the plan was to keep all of these other things bubbling away in the background for the future while being more short term on the first team front (not an awful strategy), then we have got it badly wrong, and put far too much faith in the wrong guy. And the fact he's still here suggests that we might not know what to do next. Which is pretty uninspiring.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2022, 03:09:08 PM »
Yeah, sorry, I probably wasn't clear. What doesn't marry up for me is the forward thinking of all of those 'other' things with the Gerrard appointment and subsequent transfer policy. I love all of those investments - it's a progressive way to grow the 'brand' (yuck), while generating potential revenue streams. But at the same time we seem to be incredibly short term on the first team front, and really not very good at it. If the plan was to keep all of these other things bubbling away in the background for the future while being more short term on the first team front (not an awful strategy), then we have got it badly wrong, and put far too much faith in the wrong guy. And the fact he's still here suggests that we might not know what to do next. Which is pretty uninspiring.

Especially when you consider we spent the better part of 90 million on Digne, Carlos, Coutinho and Ings who will all be 30+ within the next what, 6 months? That is a "success now" type of transfer policy.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2022, 04:09:54 PM »

Especially when you consider we spent the better part of 90 million on Digne, Carlos, Coutinho and Ings who will all be 30+ within the next what, 6 months? That is a "success now" type of transfer policy.

I agree, I suspect the idea was to bump the first team up a level and into the mix for Europe as a way convincing more Kamara-style players that we're the right place for them to be as well as being able to talk to the very best 14-16 year olds and show them we offer a pathway and are on the up. It all falls down on the manager just not delivering in part of his side of the bargain, that's why the Bruceball stuff pisses me off so much, it has the potential to ruin everything that the club is trying to achieve.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2022, 04:13:14 PM »
Well Ings has been a disaster of a signing, and the responsibility for that is firmly on Purslow/Lange for wanting an immediate 'name' to soften the blow of Grealish leaving. It's nobody's fault that Carlos got injured second game, and Digne seems fairly injury prone too.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2022, 04:19:35 PM »
You look at the impact Trippier has had at Newcastle.  That's the sort of lift you're looking for when signing experienced players.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2022, 04:27:00 PM »
Well Ings has been a disaster of a signing, and the responsibility for that is firmly on Purslow/Lange for wanting an immediate 'name' to soften the blow of Grealish leaving. It's nobody's fault that Carlos got injured second game, and Digne seems fairly injury prone too.
The Grealish money has been poorly invested. I do wonder to what extent Smith was involved in those signings.

Offline boozey182

• GM : PCM
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2022, 04:27:55 PM »
You look at the impact Trippier has had at Newcastle.  That's the sort of lift you're looking for when signing experienced players.

We nearly had it with Coutinho. In the first couple of months, he really did look like the player we were expecting - goals and assists. I still think there is a much better player in there than we have been seeing, and he has shown little glimpses in the last couple of matches, but I suspect some pretty basic, risk-adverse tactics will never bring out the best in him. For all Dean's faults (and there were many), when he had a world class talent, he got the best out of him. Coutinho should be to us what Grealish was, but I don't think the manager knows how to use him.

Purslow also said last week that there was no way we would have been able to sign Kamara and Carlos if it hadn't have ben for Coutinho signing. Coutinho should have been the springboard to launch a serious European challenge this year, but he's looked as bad as anyone else for the most part.

As paul-e said, that's what makes it all so annoying at the moment - we have players that should be exciting to watch and yet we are such a boring side.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2022, 04:50:49 PM »
The Grealish money has been poorly invested. I do wonder to what extent Smith was involved in those signings.

It's impossible to know for sure, but I think the club takes the "head coach" thing seriously, and leaves most of the recruitment to Lange. Obviously Coutinho is here because of Gerrard though.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2022, 05:25:58 PM »

It's impossible to know for sure, but I think the club takes the "head coach" thing seriously, and leaves most of the recruitment to Lange. Obviously Coutinho is here because of Gerrard though.

In lieu of our all out pursuit of Buendia..

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2022, 08:50:20 AM »

Maybe Purslow is our root problem. He seems to be both CEO and DoF.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2022, 09:30:30 AM »

Maybe Purslow is our root problem. He seems to be both CEO and DoF.
What has happened since the Greasy debacle is definitely down to Purslow.
We have spent a lot of money, hired a new manager completely changed the strategy and ended up no further forward.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2022, 11:16:20 AM »

I know they have endless money but Newcastle transfer policy has really shown us up in last 12 months. Pope-Botman-Bruno Guimaraes- Isak all guys in early to mid 20s (O.k Pope is older but still pretty young for a keeper), all improving them fairly quickly and can take them into europa league.

They have a clear plan, ours seems to be very muddled and that will probably be reflected in league position in six months time.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2022, 11:17:44 AM »

Targett being written off and Digne signed is all down to Lange? I very much doubt it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal