collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Supporters Trust & Purslow  (Read 13839 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Supporters Trust & Purslow
« on: September 30, 2022, 10:43:06 AM »
Ashley Preece has done an article on Purslow's meeting with the supports trust, you can read here https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-news-meeting-fans-25143927 and I've also pasted below (no idea how they shoehorn 'shock' into the headline):

Latest Aston Villa news via BirminghamLive brings you a detailed look at last night’s all-important Aston Villa Supporters’ Trust meeting with Christian Purslow

Aston Villa’s chief executive officer Christian Purslow was on hand to answer questions last night at the latest supporters’ trust meeting. It’s the first time this season that the man in charge of running Villa on a day-to-day basis sat down with the club’s fans at Villa Park.

According to those in attendance, Purslow admitted that the club didn’t see the Bournemouth result - or performance - coming on the opening day, while the start to the season had been a little bit disappointing given Villa’s two wins, a draw and four defeats from their first seven Premier League matches. Here’s the main takeaways from last night’s Villa supporters’ trust meeting…

STADIUM PLANS
The North Stand redevelopment dominated much of the discussion last night with Villa hopeful of being given the green light from Birmingham City Council “pretty soon” to begin construction work at the end of the current season. Purslow, meanwhile, had been in Downing Street on Thursday speaking to government officials to help seek support and much-needed improvement to rail and road networks around the vicinity of Villa Park. Improving train stations and travel for supporters remains “crucial” to Villa’s grand stadium plans given capacity is set to rise by almost 7,500 once work is complete on the new North Stand.

Elsewhere, Purslow provided a glimpse at what’s planned for the Holte End with the club looking at introducing ‘safe standing’ - or rail seating - to help take capacity upto 60,000 later down the line. It was detailed that rail seating would allow 1.8 people in the Holte for every 1 supporter currently.

NEW BADGE
According to Purslow, Villa are now down to “the last few” designs as the club looks set to release a new crest as we edge closer to Villa’s 150th anniversary in 2024. It’s understood that the ‘AV’ will be replaced by ‘Aston Villa’ with fans set to vote on their preferred badge when the final few designs are whittled down. Having seen the designs, Trust members said Purslow “loves all of them”.

RECRUITMENT
Those in attendance yesterday evening also said that, despite a “stuttering” start to the campaign, Purslow believes Villa will start to pick up some form across the next nine games. As well as Villa’s style of play being very much a work in progress, it was also detailed that Purslow was happy with how the summer transfer window played out despite struggling to offload some of those on the fringes. The injuries to Diego Carlos and Boubacar Kamara have, of course, been unfortunate, while the remit moving forward will be one in, one out with a real emphasis on quality signings that will instantly improve the first XI.

On Diego Carlos, it was revealed that Villa had actually struck a deal in Sevilla on the day of their 1-1 draw with Burnley on May 19 which, in turn, allowed them to "get ahead of the game" with Champions League clubs left behind as Villa wrapped up that £26million transfer.

Elsewhere, the £20million sale of Carney Chukwuemeka came to light, with Purslow telling fans that the club “moved heaven and earth” to keep the England youth star but, ultimately, he wanted out. The CEO also said that he remains "very hopeful" Douglas Luiz will sign a new deal given the uncertainty around his future.

A Villa fan at last night’s meeting told us: “The overriding message was that Villa need to become self-funding and a bigger stadium will help us achieve that. Purslow stressed that the owners, Wes and Nassef, remain massively all in.”

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
Re: Supporters Trust & Purslow
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 11:36:12 AM »
Nothing about the manager?

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 12:45:24 PM »
The invisible elephant in the room!

Offline boozey182

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 12:51:38 PM »
Gerrard barely got a mention all night. I think there was a mutual understanding that there wasn't a lot that could be said about how things were going at the moment, other than we've had a disappointing start and that we hope we've turned a corner. Not particularly satisfactory, but I don't know what else I was hoping for. Managers tend to be backed until they are sacked. He did mention, not specifically to do with Gerrard, that his job was to step in when we weren't seeing "continual improvement".

The Carney situation seemed a bit more complex than in the article above - Purslow all but said that there was a lot of outside influence at work there. It wasn't about money or playing time, I think there were just a lot of people that wanted to cash in on Carney and he was swept along with it.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 01:37:24 PM »
Gerrard barely got a mention all night. I think there was a mutual understanding that there wasn't a lot that could be said about how things were going at the moment, other than we've had a disappointing start and that we hope we've turned a corner. Not particularly satisfactory, but I don't know what else I was hoping for. Managers tend to be backed until they are sacked. He did mention, not specifically to do with Gerrard, that his job was to step in when we weren't seeing "continual improvement".

The Carney situation seemed a bit more complex than in the article above - Purslow all but said that there was a lot of outside influence at work there. It wasn't about money or playing time, I think there were just a lot of people that wanted to cash in on Carney and he was swept along with it.

I agree with the bold bit, I never thought him going was about wages or game time but rather that there was a bit of a'jam today' mentality where people around him didn't want to risk him failing before they'd had their big payday. I don't think anyone advising him has had his interests at heart at any point in the process, which is both really sad but also risks ruining one of the potential superstars of English football going forward.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2022, 03:25:16 PM »
Agree paul e, These are very impressionable Young Men with very little real world experience. I met an ex agent a few months ago. He was telling me how the Agents will pretty much say anything to win a new client and their stomping grounds are the academies. They out compete each other by name dropping, promising the earth and fully focus on getting the most money they can in the shortest possible timescales. He was saying that rarely do they consider or even care about what is best for the player. Interestingly he told me the Agents are always striping each other up by nicking each others clients. Its a real shit show.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2022, 01:39:15 AM »
That came across strongly in the recent series on Kestrel Palace.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2022, 02:34:39 AM »
Nice to know that this meeting happened. It would have been nicer to be told in advance, but you can't have everything. 

Offline boozey182

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 11:01:14 AM »
Nice to know that this meeting happened. It would have been nicer to be told in advance, but you can't have everything. 

One of the things that was discussed at length at the Trust AGM part of the evening was that they are seriously under-resourced. Mo has been running it pretty much by himself for months, which is unsustainable, and he admitted himself that things are starting to slip - he needs help. Quite a few have volunteered to help him out, so hopefully things will improve soon.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 11:31:37 AM »

One of the things that was discussed at length at the Trust AGM part of the evening was that they are seriously under-resourced. Mo has been running it pretty much by himself for months, which is unsustainable, and he admitted himself that things are starting to slip - he needs help. Quite a few have volunteered to help him out, so hopefully things will improve soon.

I appreciate that, but as a founder and life member it might be nice to be told about their AGM.

Offline boozey182

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2022, 11:56:32 AM »

I appreciate that, but as a founder and life member it might be nice to be told about their AGM.

Yeah, that's a pretty big failing. I know emails got sent out because I got one, but I'm not sure how good the membership system is that they use (presumably awful as they're updating at the moment). They haven't got any social media presence or any other way of communicating with members, which is no way to run an organisation.

Hopefully things improve now, with more people getting involved. I felt sorry for Mo the other night, he's trying his best but just has too much to do.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2022, 12:22:04 PM »
Even the homepage doesn't work and many other pages though some are still there.

It's a mess.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2022, 12:30:08 PM »
I remember going to the first ST meeting at VP. I asked if there was was any chance of a star on the badge to commemorate the EC win (I was a much younger man at this time) and some card a few seats up in front sarcastically replied that perhaps we could have a crown on it instead as Prince William is a fan, trying to get a laugh going. I just thought it was unnecessary and never went again. And anyway, said bloke went on to start poncing on about “The M5 corridor” and asking why Villa weren’t taking advantage of a potential fanbase in Bristol lmao. Clown.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2022, 01:52:47 PM »
I like the Crown idea...

We could have one of those Royal Warrant things..

Aston Villa FC
by Appointment to HM the King/Prince of Wales.
Purveyors of Association Football.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2022, 06:27:22 PM »
No thank you. He can be a fan if he likes but I would not like us to be a kowtowing to "royalty" club.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal