collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Catering.....  (Read 36802 times)

Offline Nii Lamptey

Re: Villa Park Catering.....
« Reply #180 on: August 28, 2022, 06:17:30 PM »
I finally got served pre-match in Trinity Upper with around 10 mins to spare today(!), and then once paid up, taught the young girl serving me to tip the glass when pouring a pint, so that she didn't have to spend another 30-60s mopping up the mess after every drink she was serving! FFS

Online astonvilla82

« Reply #181 on: August 28, 2022, 06:24:27 PM »
Please remember these are young kids working the bar and have no experience beforehand,I wasn't perfect at my job when young but learnt on the way, so we need to cut them a bit of slack especially when they are on minimum wages,

Online Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #182 on: August 28, 2022, 06:43:48 PM »
That pathetic apology message from the club only mentions the Everton game, we and the Villa know that the catering offer and service has been unacceptable for several seasons.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #183 on: August 28, 2022, 06:46:27 PM »
“standards fans are accustomed to” was the phrase. Hardly a ringing endorsement.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #184 on: August 28, 2022, 07:08:47 PM »
Please remember these are young kids working the bar and have no experience beforehand,I wasn't perfect at my job when young but learnt on the way, so we need to cut them a bit of slack especially when they are on minimum wages,

Yep, understand that totally - I used to work in bars in my younger days and they're extremely high pressured scenarios for people with little experience of it.

I wasn't in anyway harsh on the girl... I was even questioning to myself whether I should say anything at all. I offered the advice with the utmost respect, in a friendly manner - She seemed to take it the right way, and I'm sure many perfect pints will be poured in the future! 😁

It's a travesty that bar managers don't run new starters through these most basic of skills before they open up. 😔
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 07:19:10 PM by Nii Lamptey »

Offline V1lla

« Reply #185 on: August 28, 2022, 09:22:22 PM »
Similar experience to Mr Lamptey in the UT today.

Easily a 10 min delay because they’d run out of chips. I mean, fancy people wanting chips before the game!

Agree it’s not the kids’ fault but the contractors. They need to be held to account for their shoddy service.

Online artvandelay

« Reply #186 on: August 28, 2022, 09:23:25 PM »
So Levy Restaurants, who manage the catering contract for both Villa and the Aviva Stadium in Dublin, ended up having to give out beer for free for 2 hours at the American Football last night... Not their fault apparently

https://www.middletownpress.com/sports/article/Free-beer-was-right-call-at-Dublin-game-says-17403374.php

Online astonvilla82

« Reply #187 on: August 28, 2022, 09:28:57 PM »

Yep, understand that totally - I used to work in bars in my younger days and they're extremely high pressured scenarios for people with little experience of it.

I wasn't in anyway harsh on the girl... I was even questioning to myself whether I should say anything at all. I offered the advice with the utmost respect, in a friendly manner - She seemed to take it the right way, and I'm sure many perfect pints will be poured in the future! 😁

It's a travesty that bar managers don't run new starters through these most basic of skills before they open up. 😔
👍

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #188 on: August 28, 2022, 09:54:20 PM »
Awful again today. Piss run up could in a brewery not

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #189 on: August 29, 2022, 10:06:03 AM »
Holte Suite was much better yesterday, service was quick as there were plenty of staff. They have obviously taken notice of  the criticism.

Online SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #190 on: August 29, 2022, 07:38:16 PM »
It needs a major overhaul from start to finish. The aim should be to sell the most stuff to the most people in as short a space of time as possible

1. Simplify the range on offer. The caterers should have metrics on what sells most and is quickest/easiest to sell/serve
2. No fancy coffees - black or white. If you want a skinny decaff Americano with vanilla syrup then bugger off.
3. Bitter, lager or cider. People at the counter just serving, thise behind just pouring
4. Balti or steak and kidney and sausage rolls
5. Card payment only. Pay before you approach the counter and whilst your in the queue. Proper stock control/monitoring will tell if they've got what you want in stock by the time you get to the counter. If not, you can pick something else and no time is lost.
6. Queues to be railed to keep them in order
7. The kids serving food should be doing just that - nothing else.

Pies/chips at one counter.
Beers at another
Coffee/crisps/sugary fizzy stuff at another.

One final point:

If they're trying to serve 500 fans at a counter and it takes just an additional 3 seconds to serve each customer then the last person in the queue will have to wait an extra 25 minutes to get served.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #191 on: August 29, 2022, 07:51:24 PM »
I hadn't eaten all day so went down to Pietanic well before half time. The queue was long and not moving. They had run out of glasses to put drinks in. There was much frustration but once the glasses arrived they did alright.

Online SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #192 on: August 29, 2022, 07:59:18 PM »
Some final observation.

Villa Park is a "legacy" ground., which is why it is so wel liked by visitors "proper" old fashioned"  "full of character" etc. etc.

But therein lies the problem.

The stands have insufficient space beneath them to enable adequate, modern catering to function.

The Witton Lane (aka Herbert's Stand) is probably the worst of the lot. Long, narrow concourse, with little or no room for volumes of food to be stored or cooked/heated and really shitty conditions for the poor kids who work there. And there's not enough room either for the fans waiting to get served or to eat/drink what they've bought or queue for the inadequate toilets.

It needs a major overhaul - preferably dropping and extending back out onto Witton Lane - but that's something for another thread.

Online astonvilla82

« Reply #193 on: August 29, 2022, 08:50:56 PM »
Is it only season ticket holders allowed in the holte suite before entering the ground, friends coming from London and hoping to meet him there

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #194 on: August 29, 2022, 09:59:41 PM »
Got served swiftly in the lower trinity 20 odd minutes before ko but did notice there were no pies on sale, just sold out signs.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal