collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by LeeB
[Today at 01:21:11 PM]

New Shirt Sponsor by tomd2103
[Today at 01:19:27 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Mister E
[Today at 01:19:00 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Risso
[Today at 01:13:50 PM]

Ollie Watkins by LeeB
[Today at 01:10:23 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Bad English
[Today at 12:46:34 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by simon ward 50
[Today at 12:34:58 PM]

VAR by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:27:06 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by LeeB
[Today at 01:21:11 PM]

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by tomd2103
[Today at 01:19:27 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Mister E
[Today at 01:19:00 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Risso
[Today at 01:14:53 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Risso
[Today at 01:13:50 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Somniloquism
[Today at 01:10:49 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by LeeB
[Today at 01:10:23 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:09:50 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 22/23 season expectations.  (Read 25970 times)

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
Re: 22/23 season expectations.
« Reply #210 on: August 06, 2022, 01:38:33 PM »
If we stay with the squad as is, I think an improved season is likely, but European qualification via the league unlikely. Think we have Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal all certain to finish ahead of us. Then West Ham, Leicester, Wolves, Newcastle and us vying for the top 10 spots. So with no further additions somewhere between 7-10th in the league.

FA cup I hope we get to at least the quarter final, but can;t see us winning it. League cup I hope we get to at least the semi final, and do think we could win it.

If we sign anther top level midfielder, and maybe a striker then can see us being in the mix with Man Utd and Arsenal for a top 6 spot though.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #211 on: August 06, 2022, 01:57:40 PM »
I'm not saying we'll finish 6th or 7th but I don't think Yanited are guaranteed to finish ahead of us.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #212 on: August 06, 2022, 02:01:25 PM »
Yep, I hope Leon leaves De Gea on his arse, with half his kit caked in mud like in 'Straya last month.

Online edgysatsuma89

« Reply #213 on: August 06, 2022, 06:05:11 PM »
I don't trust Gerrard to do things like drop the likes of Coutinho or McGinn if they're not performing. He spoke of changing line ups in the past then when the next game came along he changed fuck all (I know he has more available changes now but still). Basically he has to convince me because I still don't trust him. 11th/12th.

I've got a feeling I'll be thinking that first line many, many times this season. Hopefully he proves me wrong but as one is captain then I doubt it.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #214 on: August 29, 2022, 08:56:11 AM »
Despite the poor start the season expectations are stil there
A top half to top 8 finish and to go further in the cup competitions.
It's also the remit as we are aware for the club and manager so things need to get on track to achieve such.

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #215 on: August 29, 2022, 04:15:55 PM »
I expect a sacking.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #216 on: September 01, 2022, 05:00:20 AM »
It looks like we are in for a very tough season.
That opening day defeat against Bournemouth after a promising pre season has set the tone, compounded by poor selections, team structure and morale.
I can not see how this squad is going to do anything but battle to stay out of a relegation fight and that presupposes that they have the fight.
We have problems in every department.
Martinez has proved he is more than capable of match defining clangers.
The defence looks vulnerable with both full backs all over the place and without our new signing we do not have a convincing central partnership.
Our midfield is the biggest concern and whoever is managing us needs to find a platform of Kamara and another to provide some sort of defensive base.Luiz and Samson who could provide some stability may not even be options.
Our attacking options are problematic
Coutinho looks unable to physically deal with the intensity of PL football, Ings looks past it and a Championship level player, Watkins full of running, not prolific but our best bet to lead the line.
Archer untried and Bailey mercurial if being kind.
Survival is my hope and expectation right now.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #217 on: September 01, 2022, 05:29:49 AM »
It looks like we are in for a very tough season.
That opening day defeat against Bournemouth after a promising pre season has set the tone, compounded by poor selections, team structure and morale.
I can not see how this squad is going to do anything but battle to stay out of a relegation fight and that presupposes that they have the fight.
We have problems in every department.
Martinez has proved he is more than capable of match defining clangers.
The defence looks vulnerable with both full backs all over the place and without our new signing we do not have a convincing central partnership.
Our midfield is the biggest concern and whoever is managing us needs to find a platform of Kamara and another to provide some sort of defensive base.Luiz and Samson who could provide some stability may not even be options.
Our attacking options are problematic
Coutinho looks unable to physically deal with the intensity of PL football, Ings looks past it and a Championship level player, Watkins full of running, not prolific but our best bet to lead the line.
Archer untried and Bailey mercurial if being kind.
Survival is my hope and expectation right now.

I agree with all this.

How, 10 years on we’ve got ourselves into the exact position MON left us in after giving the manager too much control.

The real worry is are there 3 worse teams than Villa?

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #218 on: September 01, 2022, 07:57:33 AM »
I think the squad's alright, and with a decent manager we'll be fine. Gerrard absolutely isn't a decent manager though.

Expect another mid table finish if we bin off Gerrard soon. A good manager would have the squad at their disposal pushing for Europe, particularly if we'd have brought in Sarr.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #219 on: October 11, 2022, 09:58:42 PM »
What are the current expectations? Revised?  It seems that some call for a new manager as expectation.
If Villa don't fall into the relegation zone at any time throughout the season, I believe Gerrard may be given the full season.
SG has said it taking longer than perhaps first hoped to push on and needs a few more windows.

But as there were set targets in place to achieve then how does the remote change if doesn't meet them.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #220 on: October 12, 2022, 01:58:26 AM »
What are the current expectations? Revised?  It seems that some call for a new manager as expectation.
If Villa don't fall into the relegation zone at any time throughout the season, I believe Gerrard may be given the full season.
SG has said it taking longer than perhaps first hoped to push on and needs a few more windows.

But as there were set targets in place to achieve then how does the remote change if doesn't meet them.
I have no reason to change what I wrote September 1st, I expect us to survive but it’s going to be Bruceball ugly.
The board may see a change of manager a bigger risk than sticking with the meat grinder approach that is being applied now.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #221 on: October 12, 2022, 07:55:47 AM »
I'm still of the mind that the side we have is, or should be, strong enough to finish upper mid table. I'd stick by my 1st September view that as long as we bin Gerrard off soon, Europe remains a distant but achievable goal. Four years in, finishing in the top half should be a minimum expectation of any manager. Gerrard isn't doing that and has shown no signs that he's able to do it either.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #222 on: October 12, 2022, 09:01:48 AM »
I'm still of the mind that the side we have is, or should be, strong enough to finish upper mid table. I'd stick by my 1st September view that as long as we bin Gerrard off soon, Europe remains a distant but achievable goal. Four years in, finishing in the top half should be a minimum expectation of any manager. Gerrard isn't doing that and has shown no signs that he's able to do it either.

I think we'll be hoping to salvage mid-table respectabillity come the end of the season, and that only if we act soon and bin off Tim Scousewood.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #223 on: October 12, 2022, 10:24:48 AM »
I said loads of times I'd be dissapointed with anything below 8th the season because of the strength of our squad.  I still think man for man it is better than the squads of most other middling teams, I just hadn't accounted for how truly shit our coaching would be. 

I'll take 10th now.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #224 on: October 12, 2022, 10:34:24 AM »
I said loads of times I'd be dissapointed with anything below 8th the season because of the strength of our squad.  I still think man for man it is better than the squads of most other middling teams, I just hadn't accounted for how truly shit our coaching would be. 

I'll take 10th now.

I'd bite yer hand off.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal