collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 02:25:19 PM]

Re: VAR by chrisw1
[Today at 02:21:00 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by paul_e
[Today at 02:13:51 PM]

Re: VAR by paul_e
[Today at 02:09:51 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by ChicagoLion
[Today at 02:08:41 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by The Edge
[Today at 02:05:37 PM]

Re: VAR by chrisw1
[Today at 02:04:45 PM]

Re: MOTD by LeeB
[Today at 01:56:14 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dirty Leeds vs Aston Villa pre-season friendly  (Read 32057 times)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Re: Dirty Leeds vs Aston Villa pre-season friendly
« Reply #285 on: July 17, 2022, 10:32:23 PM »
Agree on both points Pelty. Watkins is a hard worker but just not clinical enough.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #286 on: July 18, 2022, 01:15:21 AM »
Well I searched high and low for an old Bossie thread but it doesn’t exist so it’s going here

https://twitter.com/matkendrick/status/1548626108454768640?s=21&t=J4HO51MT_T7bEOTd5zJvOQ

Ashley Preece and his rapid-fire nervous speaking...

Still, good to see Bozzie. I guess he was our Shane Warne. Wonder if he'll die of a heart attack in a Thai massage parlour too.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #287 on: July 18, 2022, 02:02:58 AM »
Meatballs tackle didn't look too bad. Compare that with rmthe tackles on Emi and the attempted assault by Bampot on Diego Carlos. They were both a lot worse.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 02:07:31 AM by JD »

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #288 on: July 18, 2022, 05:38:18 AM »
Agree on both points Pelty. Watkins is a hard worker but just not clinical enough.
If he had any kind of left foot he'd have stepped left and pushed that past the goalie.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #289 on: July 18, 2022, 08:44:56 AM »
Marsch: Now Archie, what did you learn today?

Gray: That I'm better off with the U8's as I won't get hurt there.  Can I go back to them please Boss?

In all seriousness that's exactly my point - if he cannot take the physicality of the men's game should be kept well away.  Be interesting to know how clubs go around arranging insurance for youngster's they want to plant into the men's game.

his ankle got caught it happens doesn’t matter what age he is it’s gona hurt
Bigger boys get injured as well or haven’t you noticed

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #290 on: July 18, 2022, 09:01:45 AM »
It does seem a bit like when Gabby shoulder charged that guy from One Direction in Stan Petrov's testimonial and he ended up throwing up. This time though the part of teenage Directioners is being played by Leeds fans.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #291 on: July 18, 2022, 09:12:40 AM »
Marsch: Now Archie, what did you learn today?

Gray: That I'm better off with the U8's as I won't get hurt there.  Can I go back to them please Boss?

In all seriousness that's exactly my point - if he cannot take the physicality of the men's game should be kept well away.  Be interesting to know how clubs go around arranging insurance for youngster's they want to plant into the men's game.

his ankle got caught it happens doesn’t matter what age he is it’s gona hurt
Bigger boys get injured as well or haven’t you noticed

Yes it was a block and it happens nothing sinister it just happens especially with ankles,  lets hope the lad is ok 

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #292 on: July 18, 2022, 09:13:59 AM »
Leeds fans on twitter are a special kind of bitter.

But, it was an unconventional challenge by McGinn and in the follow through he did stand / stamp on the kids ankle.  Not as bad as their fans make out but in my view probably not as inoccuous as ours suggest either.  Although I thought yellow was probably right, I could certainly see it being a VAR red.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #293 on: July 18, 2022, 09:56:33 AM »
Leeds fans on twitter are a special kind of bitter.

But, it was an unconventional challenge by McGinn and in the follow through he did stand / stamp on the kids ankle.  Not as bad as their fans make out but in my view probably not as inoccuous as ours suggest either.  Although I thought yellow was probably right, I could certainly see it being a VAR red.

I thought it was a typical McGinn use of the arse challenge, he caught him but it’s only getting any attention because he was up against a toddler.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #294 on: July 18, 2022, 06:10:55 PM »
Wow.  Talk about OTT

McGinn tackle on Leeds starlet Gray was cowardly and barbaric

DAVID COVERDALE

JULY 18, 2022

IT was an act of butchery more akin to the days when his grandfather played. Young Archie Gray must have seen footage from the 1970s, when his grandad Frank and great uncle Eddie won the title together with Don Revie’s ‘Dirty Leeds'.

But the 16-year-old has surely never been on the receiving end of a tackle that would have made even his older relatives wince. The barbaric challenge came from Aston Villa’s John McGinn in the second half of a pre-season friendly in Brisbane on Sunday. Yes, a ‘friendly’.

The Scot lunged in recklessly and late on Gray and stamped down on his right ankle, putting the Leeds lad on a stretcher and in tears. Aston Villa boss Steven Gerrard claimed McGinn was ‘unlucky in the follow through’. Pull the other one. The strange way McGinn shaped up for his cowardly tackle - leaning back and turning away - suggested this was a pre-meditated attempt to hurt a teenager rather than a genuine attempt to win the ball.

Even the commentators correctly called it for what it was, an act of retribution, coming minutes after Gray’s own strong challenge on Villa’s Emiliano Buendia, for which he did win the ball but was booked. Of course, there is something to be said for sticking up for a team-mate. But McGinn must have a screw loose if he thinks this is the way to go about it.

Doing it in the Premier League would be bad enough, but in a match with nothing riding on it on the other side of the world? Unless McGinn cares more for the Queensland Champions Cup than we are giving him credit for, he needs to have a word with himself - and so do the authorities. The midfielder may have received a yellow card on the spot. But there is no doubt he should have been sent off and banned because nobody wants to see tackles like that in the modern game.

It was no wonder Leeds boss Jesse Marsch was so incensed on the sidelines, becoming embroiled in a heated exchanged with McGinn and later accusing referee Adam Kesey of losing control of the game. The only crumb of comfort for Marsch is that, on first inspection, Gray’s injury does not seem as serious as it so easily could have been.

‘We’re hopeful that it’s not too bad,’ said the American. ‘He was in some pain initially and when they assessed it after the match they’re hopeful nothing’s broken and that it’s just an ankle sprain.’ If that initial prognosis proves to be correct, Gray - and Leeds - will have had a lucky escape. For the midfielder is one of the most promising players to have come out of the club’s academy in years.

Despite his family being Scottish football royalty, Gray - whose dad Andy also played for Leeds - captained England under-16s to a tournament win in France earlier this year. He is yet to make his competitive first-team debut for Leeds but has been on the bench, earning a place in Marcelo Bielsa’s matchday squad against Arsenal last December when he was still only 15.

His selection for the tour Down Under suggests Gray is firmly in Marsch’s thinking going into the new Premier League season. It is just to be hoped his rapid progress is not stalled by a player 11 years his senior who should have known better.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #295 on: July 18, 2022, 06:18:26 PM »
#prayforleeds
#arsegate
#wontsomebodythinkofthechildren

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #296 on: July 18, 2022, 06:20:14 PM »
Fuck you David Coverdale, you shit Robert Plant rip off

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #297 on: July 18, 2022, 06:26:34 PM »
Leeds moaning about challenges. Someone call the irony police.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #298 on: July 18, 2022, 06:30:31 PM »
Well, he’s a bit of a ****** isn’t he…?

Online Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #299 on: July 18, 2022, 06:31:46 PM »
I don’t recall Norman Hunter ever asking their age before launching into a challenge on an opposing player.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal