collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ollie Watkins by WarszaVillan
[Today at 02:56:43 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:55:11 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 02:15:30 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:53:30 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Diego Carlos by OCD
[Today at 01:21:52 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by WarszaVillan
[Today at 02:56:43 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:55:11 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 02:52:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 02:51:36 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 02:48:28 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Hillbilly
[Today at 02:35:51 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 02:32:40 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 02:31:34 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 279645 times)

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #3540 on: January 10, 2024, 10:44:44 PM »
The lion is essential.
I think it's important to have ASTON VILLA.
It's so special. Unique.
I love it when the occasional pundit calls us "The Villa".
Not "The United", "The City"....there's only one...
As Gregory stated... the symmetry of it...two words, 5 letters in each, beginning with an A and ending with an A.
Simply beautiful.
It needs to be there.
As does 1874...it's our 150th birthday!

Just don't fuck it up Chris!

And that's all folks!

I think he’s already fucked it up Frank. According to Bardell the trademarked abomination has been seen on the kit.

Online FatSam

« Reply #3541 on: January 10, 2024, 11:07:30 PM »
I’m not particularly bothered about a round badge either, despite being a match going fan and having wonderful memories of the teams that got us from the third division to European champions. So that part of your point doesn’t chime with me on a personal level.

Simply, the badge they’ve trademarked is a really, really shit badge, that looks like it was designed by a not very talented 12-year-old. I just don’t think we should choose a really shit badge to represent us. We’re not a really shit club after all.
That’s exactly how I feel too. I just want a good badge. I don’t necessarily want to be consulted about it either, because we all have different opinions about what is important. But nobody can argue that the trademarked badge is bold or striking or even memorable. It’s just meh. I want other people to know it’s the Villa badge without having to read the words because it’s so recognisable.

Online jon collett

« Reply #3542 on: January 10, 2024, 11:11:12 PM »

I think he’s already fucked it up Frank. According to Bardell the trademarked abomination has been seen on the kit.

No doubt if Bardell has such strong and principled views he will be resigning from the FAB sham forthwith!

Online AV84

« Reply #3543 on: January 10, 2024, 11:40:51 PM »
That’s exactly how I feel too. I just want a good badge. I don’t necessarily want to be consulted about it either, because we all have different opinions about what is important. But nobody can argue that the trademarked badge is bold or striking or even memorable. It’s just meh. I want other people to know it’s the Villa badge without having to read the words because it’s so recognisable.

The new one is arguably more recognisable as Villa than the round one is. As others have pointed out we've spent very little time in 150 years with a round badge. Most people think we ripped off Chelsea this season. Whereas we've had a yellow lion continuously the guts of 35 years now.

On a different note, there's 4 different versions of the new badge trademarked. Two of them are one colour, and I think either of them on a nice Adidas kit would look alright. The claret one on something like Man City's away shirt this season would look amazing.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 11:42:59 PM by AV84 »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3544 on: January 10, 2024, 11:46:55 PM »

On a different note, there's 4 different versions of the new badge trademarked. Two of them are one colour, and I think either of them on a nice Adidas kit would look alright. The claret one on something like Man City's away shirt this season would look amazing.

They've been doing that with the current AVFC version anyway, so why bother with this whole shambolic rebrand?

Online AV84

« Reply #3545 on: January 10, 2024, 11:50:03 PM »

They've been doing that with the current AVFC version anyway, so why bother with this whole shambolic rebrand?

I'm not arguing whether they should or shouldn't have, but the fact is they have. And I think those versions of it look alright.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #3546 on: January 11, 2024, 12:02:19 AM »

No doubt if Bardell has such strong and principled views he will be resigning from the FAB sham forthwith!

He’s not on it is he?

Online nigel

« Reply #3547 on: January 11, 2024, 08:10:56 AM »

The new one is arguably more recognisable as Villa than the round one is. As others have pointed out we've spent very little time in 150 years with a round badge. Most people think we ripped off Chelsea this season. Whereas we've had a yellow lion continuously the guts of 35 years now.

I actually like both of those.
Would need a blue or gold version for the claret home top, though.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #3548 on: January 11, 2024, 08:24:14 AM »

He’s not on it is he?
His name used to turn up on the attendee list but not for a long time.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #3549 on: January 11, 2024, 08:36:48 AM »

A guy on Twitter has posted a critique and opinion thread on the Heck crest, identified where he thinks it doesn't work and altered it with his recommendations. The above is his design.

I think it is superb and does everything the club said they wanted it to do.

Just give this guy a call, really good.
I do think this guy has done a good job, but if the club had come up with this I still think we'd be finding fault.  The writing appears a bit too big, meaning the lion is too small.  The lion is improved from the Lerner Lion (although not the detailed back & white Lerner lion) but is arguably not as good as the round badge lion.  etc etc.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #3550 on: January 11, 2024, 09:09:38 AM »
Our name should be on one line and in the hierarchy above the lion.

But it's a million times better than the mess we are going to get. The shape of the shield echoes existing ones, the contrast is good, it uses our primary colours and the gold is a useful secondary colour, which adds a touch of class.

Offline Hopadop

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #3551 on: January 11, 2024, 09:23:29 AM »
Our name should be on one line and in the hierarchy above the lion.

But it's a million times better than the mess we are going to get. The shape of the shield echoes existing ones, the contrast is good, it uses our primary colours and the gold is a useful secondary colour, which adds a touch of class.

Yep.

I think most complaints about the club's 'effort' isn't that it's not their idea of perfect. It's that on almost any view it looks like an amateurish stab at it, tossed off over lunchtime.

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #3552 on: January 11, 2024, 09:28:24 AM »
Maybe someone should set up a side business replacing badges with alternative versions, like that guy who removes sponsors.

Offline Philek

« Reply #3553 on: January 11, 2024, 10:06:46 AM »
What if Adidas designed the badge? I mean the proposed one none of us like.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 10:08:31 AM by Philek »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3554 on: January 11, 2024, 10:14:20 AM »
What if Adidas designed the badge? I mean the proposed one none of us like.

I think that's highly unlikely. Looks more like Jacob Smith, age 11 from Erdington CofE primary school, with the felt tip new pens that his nan, the one who smells faintly of wee and who still doesn't approve of his dad, bought him for Christmas.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal