collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by trinityoap
[Today at 07:00:10 PM]

Bristol Villa fans by The Edge
[Today at 06:55:20 PM]

Robin Olsen by olaftab
[Today at 06:53:59 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 06:50:36 PM]

Champions League Contention by olaftab
[Today at 06:36:06 PM]

VAR by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:35:46 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 06:20:06 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Tayls_7
[Today at 06:12:13 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 281187 times)

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #3510 on: January 10, 2024, 06:13:36 PM »
This thread has prompted me to go through my Villa memorabilia looking for an enamel lapel badge that I've had since I was fourteen and wore on my school blazer.  Much to my chagrin it's missing and I'm upset about it.

Anyway, I've turned up two, one of which is just a circular claret with an inserted blue shield with rampant lion facing right on a scroll reading prepared.  Around the circumfrence it reads Aston Villa Football Club.

The second one is more interesting.  It's a claret shield with Aston Villa across the top.  in the middle is a blue rampant lion facing right but the interesting thing is,the circular bit is encompassed by what seems to be a laurel leaf wreath.  The whole lot sits on what seems to be an opened white scroll that reads prepared.  I've never seen another like it and have no idea where and when I got it.

I wish I could master how to post photo's as I would like to show the second one.  Both of them are preferable to me than the current offering.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #3511 on: January 10, 2024, 06:14:10 PM »
This is an interesting debate across platforms, not just because we can all see 'what we could have won' but also because we've all had different iterations through our lives - regardless of generations that evokes some sense of 'what is Aston Villa' to each of us.

From someone who has branded organisations, one area I would initially look at is to look at the most common aspects across the clubs crest history, thinking about what has been most prevelant. I'd then look to balance this against moderninity and areas of conflict.

I settle on the below for the following reasons:

1. Lion facing left, self explanatory. It was orginally in print in claret for print and laterly gold on the trinity in the 1920s. Then claret on the first proper crest on the shirt. I'd use the Lerner lion v2 for consistency, and the detailed version is very good.
2. Ribbon, used on our badges from 1880s until 2000s. I've based the blue border similar to how the colours are used on the mosiacs which is something we are known for.
3. Year...balances requests and adds something.
4. Whilst a shield has been used in any form across the club from 1880s until now, even at the same point as the roundel, I'd remove the debate and use shapes as part of a wider brand strategy. (E.g. shapes around the lion for merch, on the back of shirt for say celebratory / nostalgic reimagined kits)
5. Name in full as its unique / requested.

Star etc. can form part of a wider brand hierarchy, same way as I would use 'the villans' and 'the lions'.

I'd put the gold version on the shirt and claret elsewhere - no different to how Liverpool uses their red liverbird in print and elsewhere and typically white on their homeshirt.

I like these.
Me too.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3512 on: January 10, 2024, 06:20:07 PM »
Yeh love those. Very clean and looks great on the kit. Shame it won’t happen.

« Reply #3513 on: January 10, 2024, 06:22:23 PM »
Bottom middle looks like the Peugeot badge.

Those designs are nice 👍🏻

I know, I said earlier today that I'd like to see something in that style, Neither of them are quite right and I'd expect us to create something not do 2minutes of an image search on google, but I really want something like the Liverpools liver bird, Arsenals cannon or Tottenhams cockerel, all 3 are instantly recognisable, simple and scalable. I know it doesn't matter much in the long term but if we're going to rebrand they're the sort of logos/badges we should be looking at for ideas.

Of the nine in the link the only ones I really dislike are top right and bottom left because they both look like a lion doing mime and the middle right because our lion has to be facing forward not looking over it's shoulder.

Agree, these stand alone crests are what I like most.  I still think you can do it with a fierce lion, but I get what you mean.
Exactly.
And from even one quick glance the connection is made...with the distractions of shields etc the lion can get lost, but the stand alone Liver Bird is immediately Liverpool, the cockerel Tottenham etc...a fair few clubs use a lion symbol, but a bold, stand alone lion would say Aston Villa at a glance!

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #3514 on: January 10, 2024, 06:51:34 PM »
This is an interesting debate across platforms, not just because we can all see 'what we could have won' but also because we've all had different iterations through our lives - regardless of generations that evokes some sense of 'what is Aston Villa' to each of us.

From someone who has branded organisations, one area I would initially look at is to look at the most common aspects across the clubs crest history, thinking about what has been most prevelant. I'd then look to balance this against moderninity and areas of conflict.

I settle on the below for the following reasons:

1. Lion facing left, self explanatory. It was orginally in print in claret for print and laterly gold on the trinity in the 1920s. Then claret on the first proper crest on the shirt. I'd use the Lerner lion v2 for consistency, and the detailed version is very good.
2. Ribbon, used on our badges from 1880s until 2000s. I've based the blue border similar to how the colours are used on the mosiacs which is something we are known for.
3. Year...balances requests and adds something.
4. Whilst a shield has been used in any form across the club from 1880s until now, even at the same point as the roundel, I'd remove the debate and use shapes as part of a wider brand strategy. (E.g. shapes around the lion for merch, on the back of shirt for say celebratory / nostalgic reimagined kits)
5. Name in full as its unique / requested.

Star etc. can form part of a wider brand hierarchy, same way as I would use 'the villans' and 'the lions'.

I'd put the gold version on the shirt and claret elsewhere - no different to how Liverpool uses their red liverbird in print and elsewhere and typically white on their homeshirt.

I like these.
Me too.

Me also. Exactly the sort of modern, identity I'd love the club to move towards. Lovely designs.
And I've always wanted us to be sponsored by SPONSOR. :P

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3515 on: January 10, 2024, 07:19:21 PM »
Radio WM discussing the new crest debacle from 7.30 in the morning

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #3516 on: January 10, 2024, 07:23:53 PM »

A guy on Twitter has posted a critique and opinion thread on the Heck crest, identified where he thinks it doesn't work and altered it with his recommendations. The above is his design.

I think it is superb and does everything the club said they wanted it to do.

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #3517 on: January 10, 2024, 07:28:32 PM »

A guy on Twitter has posted a critique and opinion thread on the Heck crest, identified where he thinks it doesn't work and altered it with his recommendations. The above is his design.

I think it is superb and does everything the club said they wanted it to do.

Here's what he posted.

Imo, the end result is excellent - a real improvement on the trademarked crest.

https://x.com/leehaynes/status/1745136629528838545?s=08

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #3518 on: January 10, 2024, 07:29:26 PM »
That’s actually really nice.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3519 on: January 10, 2024, 07:32:05 PM »
Yeh that’s really excellent.

Offline KRS

« Reply #3520 on: January 10, 2024, 07:44:13 PM »
That is again an improvement, but I find it hard to understand the reasoning why the club name is below the lion in these designs, and subsequently the 1874 once again looks like an afterthought that has been shoehorned in with a tiny font.

Online AV84

« Reply #3521 on: January 10, 2024, 07:49:47 PM »
^ Same. I don't like the name below the lion.

« Reply #3522 on: January 10, 2024, 07:52:37 PM »
That's really good.
Claret lion on light blue works perfectly...yellow/gold/light blue on claret would be good too.

Take the shield away and it's perfect! ;-)

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #3523 on: January 10, 2024, 07:56:33 PM »
That's really good.
Claret lion on light blue works perfectly...yellow/gold/light blue on claret would be good too.

I’ve just seen his design brief on Twitter and he has an option without the shield, again it looks very good.

« Reply #3524 on: January 10, 2024, 08:00:01 PM »
That's really good.

I’ve just seen his design brief on Twitter and he has an option without the shield, again it looks very good.
Any chance of posting?
I don't do twitter/X/electricity

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal