collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 279896 times)

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #3495 on: January 10, 2024, 05:00:34 PM »
The one thing that I am really looking forward to is the introduction of the new kit, then maybe, just maybe people will FUCKING WELL STOP doing mock ups of the badge and/or the new kit.
Hahaha! I've been dying to say this but, of course, I have too much respect for the hard work put in by the amateur badge designers whose efforts will never adorn our kit. And I didn't want to upset them.

;-)

Online KRS

« Reply #3496 on: January 10, 2024, 05:00:40 PM »
Another design to add to “better than what we’re going to end up with” list.

My personal thinking would be basically the current circle badge with the lion flipped (back to how it should be), and better consistent fonts for “Aston Villa” and “1874”. This simple flexible design could work within a circle or shield (they are essentially just borders anyway), or used as stand-alone. The simplicity of this design means the core design elements can be added/removed depending on their application whilst remaining consistent across all applications.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 05:05:19 PM by KRS »

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #3497 on: January 10, 2024, 05:00:43 PM »
I think that crest is great, and the white kit is the classic away for me.

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #3498 on: January 10, 2024, 05:31:07 PM »
This is an interesting debate across platforms

I'd like to take issue with that assertion.

Then why are you here adding to the thread?

I genuinely have absolutely no idea why people who do not find the conversation interesting, or claim that they "don't care" continue to keep telling us that they have no interest & don't care.

Im not saying that you aren't entitled to add your views, quite the contrary, but I have lost count the amount of times that the same people keep adding "this subject is boring", "Im not interested", "it doesn't matter to me", "I don't care", yada yada, etc, etc.

Do you want to know how I don't care about the "Help wanted with touristing in That London" thread?

I leave it the fuck alone...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 05:35:30 PM by pablo_picasso »

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #3499 on: January 10, 2024, 05:32:33 PM »
This is an interesting debate across platforms, not just because we can all see 'what we could have won' but also because we've all had different iterations through our lives - regardless of generations that evokes some sense of 'what is Aston Villa' to each of us.

From someone who has branded organisations, one area I would initially look at is to look at the most common aspects across the clubs crest history, thinking about what has been most prevelant. I'd then look to balance this against moderninity and areas of conflict.

I settle on the below for the following reasons:

1. Lion facing left, self explanatory. It was orginally in print in claret for print and laterly gold on the trinity in the 1920s. Then claret on the first proper crest on the shirt. I'd use the Lerner lion v2 for consistency, and the detailed version is very good.
2. Ribbon, used on our badges from 1880s until 2000s. I've based the blue border similar to how the colours are used on the mosiacs which is something we are known for.
3. Year...balances requests and adds something.
4. Whilst a shield has been used in any form across the club from 1880s until now, even at the same point as the roundel, I'd remove the debate and use shapes as part of a wider brand strategy. (E.g. shapes around the lion for merch, on the back of shirt for say celebratory / nostalgic reimagined kits)
5. Name in full as its unique / requested.

Star etc. can form part of a wider brand hierarchy, same way as I would use 'the villans' and 'the lions'.

I'd put the gold version on the shirt and claret elsewhere - no different to how Liverpool uses their red liverbird in print and elsewhere and typically white on their homeshirt.

That is really nice work & solid reasoning behind the decisions...

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3500 on: January 10, 2024, 05:40:26 PM »

This is about 95% of what I'd like (I'd not thought of the club name being in the ribbon but I think that works as a really good nod to our history as well fitting with a more clean and modern look).

The only thing I'd change is to give the lion a cleaner silhouette (you've used the Lerner one which I'm not a fan of).

I'd prefer something like the bottom middle here:

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3501 on: January 10, 2024, 05:42:42 PM »
At this stage is it too late to change anything despite the obvious opposition to what has been filed?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #3502 on: January 10, 2024, 05:43:43 PM »
I'd hate that if I'm honest Paul.  And I guess the last 141 pages are a perfect example of why fan consultation is an absolute minefield.

Reformation - as a fan of the stand alone lion option, I really like your design.  And gold on claret seems to work much better than yellow.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 05:47:24 PM by chrisw1 »

Online AV84

« Reply #3503 on: January 10, 2024, 05:52:50 PM »
This is an interesting debate across platforms, not just because we can all see 'what we could have won' but also because we've all had different iterations through our lives - regardless of generations that evokes some sense of 'what is Aston Villa' to each of us.

What's interesting about that is there's a bunch of like 10 year olds out there, only getting into football properly now, following a team that are about the embark on a continued period of success, or at least competing for it, and they will associate that great formational period with the Heck crest. And in  25 years time, when there's talk about rebranding for the 175th, they'll be spitting feathers about any changes being made.

Online Goldenballs

« Reply #3504 on: January 10, 2024, 05:57:54 PM »

This is about 95% of what I'd like (I'd not thought of the club name being in the ribbon but I think that works as a really good nod to our history as well fitting with a more clean and modern look).

The only thing I'd change is to give the lion a cleaner silhouette (you've used the Lerner one which I'm not a fan of).

Bottom middle looks like the Peugeot badge.

Those designs are nice 👍🏻

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #3505 on: January 10, 2024, 06:05:01 PM »
I like the middle one, it looks like a character from the wizard of oz !

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #3506 on: January 10, 2024, 06:09:08 PM »

From someone who has branded organisations, one area I would initially look at is to look at the most common aspects across the clubs crest history, thinking about what has been most prevelant. I'd then look to balance this against moderninity and areas of conflict.

I settle on the below for the following reasons:

1. Lion facing left, self explanatory. It was orginally in print in claret for print and laterly gold on the trinity in the 1920s. Then claret on the first proper crest on the shirt. I'd use the Lerner lion v2 for consistency, and the detailed version is very good.
2. Ribbon, used on our badges from 1880s until 2000s. I've based the blue border similar to how the colours are used on the mosiacs which is something we are known for.
3. Year...balances requests and adds something.
4. Whilst a shield has been used in any form across the club from 1880s until now, even at the same point as the roundel, I'd remove the debate and use shapes as part of a wider brand strategy. (E.g. shapes around the lion for merch, on the back of shirt for say celebratory / nostalgic reimagined kits)
5. Name in full as its unique / requested.

Star etc. can form part of a wider brand hierarchy, same way as I would use 'the villans' and 'the lions'.

I'd put the gold version on the shirt and claret elsewhere - no different to how Liverpool uses their red liverbird in print and elsewhere and typically white on their homeshirt.

I like these.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3507 on: January 10, 2024, 06:09:42 PM »

I know, I said earlier today that I'd like to see something in that style, Neither of them are quite right and I'd expect us to create something not do 2minutes of an image search on google, but I really want something like the Liverpools liver bird, Arsenals cannon or Tottenhams cockerel, all 3 are instantly recognisable, simple and scalable. I know it doesn't matter much in the long term but if we're going to rebrand they're the sort of logos/badges we should be looking at for ideas.

Of the nine in the link the only ones I really dislike are top right and bottom left because they both look like a lion doing mime and the middle right because our lion has to be facing forward not looking over it's shoulder.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #3508 on: January 10, 2024, 06:12:24 PM »

I know, I said earlier today that I'd like to see something in that style, Neither of them are quite right and I'd expect us to create something not do 2minutes of an image search on google, but I really want something like the Liverpools liver bird, Arsenals cannon or Tottenhams cockerel, all 3 are instantly recognisable, simple and scalable. I know it doesn't matter much in the long term but if we're going to rebrand they're the sort of logos/badges we should be looking at for ideas.

Of the nine in the link the only ones I really dislike are top right and bottom left because they both look like a lion doing mime and the middle right because our lion has to be facing forward not looking over it's shoulder.

Agree, these stand alone crests are what I like most.  I still think you can do it with a fierce lion, but I get what you mean.

Online Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #3509 on: January 10, 2024, 06:12:26 PM »

Both of those are excellent.

Reformation, can you change the colours on the scroll to gold from the light blue? And remove the 1874? Then show us what they look like?

Maybe put a gold border around the lion on the left pic?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 06:15:17 PM by Smirker »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal