collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 280215 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #1635 on: June 22, 2023, 06:41:50 PM »
“The new crest on the kit allows us to look forward to the exciting season ahead of us on the pitch, while the existing shield reminds us of our roots and where we came from. “Proud history, bright future”as our recent motto accurately described Aston Villa’s current ambitions. Just as Unai’s team displays flexibility on the pitch, the choice of crest allows us flexibility in the marketing space.”

We didn’t really say that, did we?

What horseshit. The existing shield reminds us of the pathetic man baby who drew it in MS Paint 15 years ago, before his new girlfriend said he wasn’t allowed to like football any more, more like.

Ha ha no, it’s from the fevered imagination of RissGPT!

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #1636 on: June 22, 2023, 06:51:49 PM »
“The new crest on the kit allows us to look forward to the exciting season ahead of us on the pitch, while the existing shield reminds us of our roots and where we came from. “Proud history, bright future”as our recent motto accurately described Aston Villa’s current ambitions. Just as Unai’s team displays flexibility on the pitch, the choice of crest allows us flexibility in the marketing space.”

What horseshit. The existing shield reminds us of the pathetic man baby who drew it in MS Paint 15 years ago, before his new girlfriend said he wasn’t allowed to like football any more, more like.

I believed it all! The machines are taking over!

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1637 on: June 22, 2023, 06:56:25 PM »

You'd be missing a trick if you don't trademark the term 'Rissible 'for such shenanigans.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1638 on: June 22, 2023, 07:03:29 PM »
I used to write brochures for a coach holiday company and once had to make a pre-Xmas break to Scunthorpe sound appealing. Thought I’d have a go at marketing speak for this nonsense!

Offline wince

« Reply #1639 on: June 22, 2023, 07:21:53 PM »
Made us look a bit small time with homage to 82 again……

It's not a homage to '82 though is it?  We had that badge for a number of years before and after.
It is when the club says it is and we will continue to use the current shit one on social media. I like the new badge but not the stupid idea the club has come out with today

Offline German James

• The Limpets
« Reply #1640 on: June 22, 2023, 07:38:05 PM »
The trouble is, the fans chose the new badge so the club can't simply say: "we're not doing that now". Presumably (as several people have suggested), someone (probably someone new) has decided that the current badge is now so associated with the "brand" that it's going to stay as the main emblem of Aston Villa. Lip-service has been paid to the recent consultation by putting the new round badge on the kit for one season with some utter bullshit about the 41st-42nd anniversary of Rotterdam, after which it will be quietly forgotten. It's another reminder (if one were needed) that corporate concerns will always trump those of the fans, I guess.
It's especially bad because of the timing (new kit day); because it makes the recent attempt to interact with fans look cynical and because the badge we're now going be using worldwide (probably) forever is as insipid as the twat with whose ownership it's inexorably linked.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1641 on: June 22, 2023, 07:40:57 PM »
Way back on this thread I wanted a standalone lion because I think it's a more universal option that would work well on shirts, on merch, in print and in digital, the branding trend for years has been moving in this direction, almost every great, and global, brand is based on a very simple logo that can be adapted to fit. That doesn't mean it's all you ever use but rather that everything else follows on from that basic logo.

If you look at the 76ers (important given it's where Heck has come from) they are a perfect example of how this works in practice. The logo itself is very simple:

They also change the colours around on that so sometimes it's a white background with blue 6 and stars (which I suspect is actually the 'normal' version but this image works better on here). Either way, fundamentally it's 2/3 colours and contains nothing but the core elements of the clubs identity. This is on a par with the icons for Disney, Facebook, Amazon, Xbox etc, etc. Simple and instantly recognisable for a huge amount of people.

But on the kit (specifically the shorts) they sometimes use a version of that with the lines of a ball behind it (it changes depending on which kit they're wearing, which is part of why this works).

Then on the main badge they add more and you get an outer ring with Philadelphia and a bunch of stars on it.

All of these are interchangeable and taking some parts away or adding other bits doesn't stop people recognising the brand.

From the bits I do know you are bang on the money

Purslow and the badge choices was very much driven by CP. He was directly informed by some very senior industry people that the options they were considering were “outdated” “didn’t translate to all media” and how internally it’s not been popular. But CP carried on anyway.

The pause is reflection time now to really review how we look long term. Changing everything over comes at a HUGE cost.

I very much expect something going forwards that’s unique to us as a club and a “brand”. The round crest is not unique and doesn’t stand out amongst the crowd.
A lion by itself with Aston Villa is something symbolic to us. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the route we’re going to go down. But ultimately it will be discussed over the coming year and done for our 150 year next season.

Also - New man is not impressed with the commercial deals done by CP. Despite BK8 being announced on a 3 year deal I would expect we have an early exit from this and come next summer we have a new sponsor

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1642 on: June 22, 2023, 07:52:23 PM »
That's all fine so long as we don't end up with a horrific cartoony badge like Arsenal

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1643 on: June 22, 2023, 07:54:22 PM »
Way back on this thread I wanted a standalone lion because I think it's a more universal option that would work well on shirts, on merch, in print and in digital, the branding trend for years has been moving in this direction, almost every great, and global, brand is based on a very simple logo that can be adapted to fit. That doesn't mean it's all you ever use but rather that everything else follows on from that basic logo.

If you look at the 76ers (important given it's where Heck has come from) they are a perfect example of how this works in practice. The logo itself is very simple:

They also change the colours around on that so sometimes it's a white background with blue 6 and stars (which I suspect is actually the 'normal' version but this image works better on here). Either way, fundamentally it's 2/3 colours and contains nothing but the core elements of the clubs identity. This is on a par with the icons for Disney, Facebook, Amazon, Xbox etc, etc. Simple and instantly recognisable for a huge amount of people.

But on the kit (specifically the shorts) they sometimes use a version of that with the lines of a ball behind it (it changes depending on which kit they're wearing, which is part of why this works).

Then on the main badge they add more and you get an outer ring with Philadelphia and a bunch of stars on it.

All of these are interchangeable and taking some parts away or adding other bits doesn't stop people recognising the brand.

Purslow and the badge choices was very much driven by CP. He was directly informed by some very senior industry people that the options they were considering were “outdated” “didn’t translate to all media” and how internally it’s not been popular. But CP carried on anyway.

The pause is reflection time now to really review how we look long term. Changing everything over comes at a HUGE cost.

I very much expect something going forwards that’s unique to us as a club and a “brand”. The round crest is not unique and doesn’t stand out amongst the crowd.
A lion by itself with Aston Villa is something symbolic to us. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the route we’re going to go down. But ultimately it will be discussed over the coming year and done for our 150 year next season.

Also - New man is not impressed with the commercial deals done by CP. Despite BK8 being announced on a 3 year deal I would expect we have an early exit from this and come next summer we have a new sponsor

That's fine, but how come they got themselves stuck with the new badge they don't want for a season? That's the worst bit.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1644 on: June 22, 2023, 07:57:18 PM »
Have to say I prob prefer Lerner's effort (or the subsequent edits, to be more accurate) over this jobby.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1645 on: June 22, 2023, 07:57:30 PM »

That's fine, but how come they got themselves stuck with the new badge they don't want for a season? That's the worst bit.

Purslow! New man not been in long. Lead/manufacturer times for things we’re already well done

Offline German James

• The Limpets
« Reply #1646 on: June 22, 2023, 07:59:20 PM »
how come they got themselves stuck with the new badge they don't want for a season? That's the worst bit.
As I say, they'd asked the fans; they had to give them something after that consultation and this is the easiest.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #1647 on: June 22, 2023, 08:01:01 PM »
It’s not difficult, look at the old trinity and go with that, simple!

Offline Villan82

« Reply #1648 on: June 22, 2023, 08:01:44 PM »
Complete and utter shambles. So disappointed with them.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1649 on: June 22, 2023, 08:12:09 PM »
I now regret taking the piss out of Leeds when they fucked theirs up.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal