collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by Risso
[Today at 04:00:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by LeeB
[Today at 03:58:06 PM]

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 03:49:48 PM]

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 03:48:40 PM]

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 03:44:34 PM]

Re: Fog stopped play by Bernie
[Today at 03:42:03 PM]

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by Forge10
[Today at 03:40:17 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by paul_e
[Today at 03:35:55 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 278889 times)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #1395 on: March 24, 2023, 05:22:15 PM »
As for the left/right lion, it’s the shock to the system. It’s not something that we associate with. We weren’t consulted about it. No one even prepared the fanbase for this possibility. From memory, the fan survey that we did only mentioned whether the lion needed to look detailed or plain. My understanding of it that the modern way of thinking is that facing right is ‘forward’, thus matching the buttons on your remote control. The heraldic principles, that the badge is based on, go out of the window. Anyway enough chit-chat, I thought I’ll look at examples the lion through time with what is available. Note that some of the 1887 team had the Birmingham Coat of Arms on the shirt. Its only until 1973 that the club consistently used a same lion on shirts, programmes and club correspondence.

Did the fanbase really need to be prepared for it? It's not like it makes a difference to any of our lives.

I'm still dealing with the shock of it all. The change in direction of the lion caused me to break out in hives, endiure sleepness nights, turn to opioids for a short time. I felt alone. Villa hadn't prepared me for this decision. I will bounce back. I have faith in myself and those around me to come out of this crisis.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #1396 on: March 24, 2023, 05:40:23 PM »
As for the left/right lion, it’s the shock to the system. It’s not something that we associate with. We weren’t consulted about it. No one even prepared the fanbase for this possibility. From memory, the fan survey that we did only mentioned whether the lion needed to look detailed or plain. My understanding of it that the modern way of thinking is that facing right is ‘forward’, thus matching the buttons on your remote control. The heraldic principles, that the badge is based on, go out of the window. Anyway enough chit-chat, I thought I’ll look at examples the lion through time with what is available. Note that some of the 1887 team had the Birmingham Coat of Arms on the shirt. Its only until 1973 that the club consistently used a same lion on shirts, programmes and club correspondence.

Did the fanbase really need to be prepared for it? It's not like it makes a difference to any of our lives.
To be fair until recently we had "prepared" as a motto ...

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #1397 on: March 24, 2023, 05:40:40 PM »

I realised when I saw this that I’ve actually already adjusted to the right facing lion and now the left facing ones look wrong!

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #1398 on: March 24, 2023, 05:59:33 PM »
Some weird looking lions there.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1399 on: March 24, 2023, 06:03:51 PM »
If it helps, the Fédération Française de Football has had its 'cock' logo dressing both left and right over the years. And Les Bleus have won two world cups and were within the width of Dibu's shinbone of winning a third.

Yeah but they lost. Losers!

Bad ain't bitter, just disappointed.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1400 on: March 24, 2023, 06:16:10 PM »
I realised when I saw this that I’ve actually already adjusted to the right facing lion and now the left facing ones look wrong!

Agreed, most people will just get used to it. Looking at those previous badges the new one is the best of them as I much prefer its darker colours and minimal use of yellow. The one thing I would change is that some of the previous lions had a more aggressive, attacking posture whereas the new one looks like he's Morris dancing.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1401 on: March 24, 2023, 06:16:25 PM »
I’ve tried to form an opinion on Liongate but I’m clearly not a serious enough fan because I just can’t find it in myself to care.

I think their movies are usually pretty good.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1402 on: March 24, 2023, 06:19:59 PM »

Agreed, most people will just get used to it. Looking at those previous badges the new one is the best of them as I much prefer its darker colours and minimal use of yellow. The one thing I would change is that some of the previous lions had a more aggressive, attacking posture whereas the new one looks like he's Morris dancing.

I like it.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1403 on: March 24, 2023, 06:24:17 PM »
It reminds me of Peter Crouch doing his 'Robot' dance whilst being attacked by a large bee.

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1404 on: March 24, 2023, 06:51:33 PM »

Tell that to the bloke I used to work with who had the 'old' lion tattooed 18 inches tall on his back! That's one hell of an expensive alteration.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #1405 on: March 24, 2023, 06:57:58 PM »
All of this assumes that everyone wants to wear the current crest, whatever that may be.
As long as I can remember I've worn a pin badge with the old round design.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #1406 on: March 24, 2023, 07:16:01 PM »
Imagine the internet being around in ‘85 when Henson dropped the logo from the shirt. I loved that kit as a ten year old kid but I guess their was many a raised eyebrow.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1407 on: March 24, 2023, 07:27:34 PM »
Imagine the internet being around in ‘85 when Henson dropped the logo from the shirt. I loved that kit as a ten year old kid but I guess their was many a raised eyebrow.

I had the full kit in yellow, wore it with pride all around L'Estartit on holiday after relegation.

Got a few strange looks as a 40 year old 2016.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #1408 on: March 24, 2023, 08:43:54 PM »

I had the full kit in yellow, wore it with pride all around L'Estartit on holiday after relegation.

Got a few strange looks as a 40 year old 2016.
Ha!

You got me for a minute. I knew you wasn’t 40 when we was originally relegated in that kit.

Offline The Moose

• GM : 03.08.2016
« Reply #1409 on: March 24, 2023, 10:02:57 PM »
The Queen faced left, and the King faces right. Maybe our future king had a word....

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal