collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 277635 times)

Offline exigo

Re: Crest Review
« Reply #1365 on: March 23, 2023, 02:12:40 PM »
We’ve changed much more than the basics. We’ve changed the shape, the background, the colours in it. The lion has changed. So the only thing that hasn’t is the direction. Believe me I’d be every bit as happy Randy had simply made it the same as the mosaic in the Holte and stuck Aston Villa under it. But the badge as an entity has changed loads of times. In fact I’d love to see that on some third kits.

Won't somebody think of the poor mosaic maker who will have to turn the lion around on the back of the Holte, unsticking and resticking several thousand tiny tiles?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1366 on: March 23, 2023, 02:24:22 PM »
It's been a decent while since I did much intellectual property law, but switching the lion reeks to me of trademark protection (I think that's what happened with the Arsenal cannon 20 years or so ago?). If a mark has become too generic you can't enforce your IP rights - switch it around and hey presto...

I said exactly the same on page 67 of this thread. I think that’s what’s happened here

It isn't. They've got every badge copyrighted.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1367 on: March 23, 2023, 02:29:58 PM »
We’ve changed much more than the basics. We’ve changed the shape, the background, the colours in it. The lion has changed. So the only thing that hasn’t is the direction. Believe me I’d be every bit as happy Randy had simply made it the same as the mosaic in the Holte and stuck Aston Villa under it. But the badge as an entity has changed loads of times. In fact I’d love to see that on some third kits.

Won't somebody think of the poor mosaic maker who will have to turn the lion around on the back of the Holte, unsticking and resticking several thousand tiny tiles?

They could do it as one of those puzzle questions. "Moving just two tiles, can you make this lion face the other way?". Some boffin will figure it out.

Online jon collett

« Reply #1368 on: March 23, 2023, 02:31:41 PM »
I do wonder whether it relates to this copyright case:

https://www.marks-iplaw.jp/rampant-lion/

Most lions will face left because that's correct heraldic direction for forwards.

Facing right is an anomaly really.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1369 on: March 23, 2023, 02:35:15 PM »

They could do it as one of those puzzle questions. "Moving just two tiles, can you make this lion face the other way?". Some boffin will figure it out.

haha. In May we could hand out those little slide tile games for the new badge. Where you can keep your version as it is or change the lion to the other direction in 5 moves.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1370 on: March 23, 2023, 04:05:17 PM »
It's been a decent while since I did much intellectual property law, but switching the lion reeks to me of trademark protection (I think that's what happened with the Arsenal cannon 20 years or so ago?). If a mark has become too generic you can't enforce your IP rights - switch it around and hey presto...

I said exactly the same on page 67 of this thread. I think that’s what’s happened here

It isn't. They've got every badge copyrighted.

I'm not an IP expert by any means, but I don't think it's as simple as that. The retro shirts, for example, you can technically 'own' the copyright on the old badges, but you can't necessarily prove that the badge they have on them is new, and therefore 'belongs' to you. Doing something completely fresh removes the doubt from that equation. I think. I don't effing know.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #1371 on: March 23, 2023, 04:10:02 PM »
And who's to say which way is facing forward?  It's just ridiculous.

If you say that it’s facing the same way as the writing, then I suppose it is facing forward.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 04:12:01 PM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #1372 on: March 23, 2023, 04:12:12 PM »

If you say that it’s facing the same way as the writing, then I suppose it is.

! 😉 enO dooG

Offline wince

« Reply #1373 on: March 23, 2023, 04:34:24 PM »

! 😉 enO dooG

He's from Bulgaria! From Nodnol!

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1374 on: March 23, 2023, 04:59:04 PM »
I still can’t get my head around the lion facing the wrong way. I’ll bet my life that not a single Villa fan was asking for that when a new design was being discussed. I don’t care if it was used on a previous shirt or not, it isn’t right. And no amount of designers can convince (“gaslight”, to use the fashionable term) me otherwise. And I’ll have to have my tattoo re-done now……

Same here. Apparently we have the FA and Premier League to blame for including the fans consultation. I did laugh at the quote from the design agency, who politely advised that agencies “should not underestimate the consultation challenge”. It sounds like they then selected different focus groups (kids?) to get the answers they wanted which fits in with DW's consultation experience.

More excuses here.

Final thought, if somebody had posted on here the same new crest there would have have been plenty of posts saying 'you've got the lion facing the wrong way you muppet' and you know what, they'd have been right.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1375 on: March 23, 2023, 05:15:30 PM »

! 😉 enO dooG

He's from Bulgaria! From Nodnol!

Nice Red Dwarf reminder there

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #1376 on: March 23, 2023, 06:12:21 PM »
I still can’t get my head around the lion facing the wrong way. I’ll bet my life that not a single Villa fan was asking for that when a new design was being discussed. I don’t care if it was used on a previous shirt or not, it isn’t right. And no amount of designers can convince (“gaslight”, to use the fashionable term) me otherwise. And I’ll have to have my tattoo re-done now……

Same here. Apparently we have the FA and Premier League to blame for including the fans consultation. I did laugh at the quote from the design agency, who politely advised that agencies “should not underestimate the consultation challenge”. It sounds like they then selected different focus groups (kids?) to get the answers they wanted which fits in with DW's consultation experience.

More excuses here.

Final thought, if somebody had posted on here the same new crest there would have have been plenty of posts saying 'you've got the lion facing the wrong way you muppet' and you know what, they'd have been right.

To save time, it’s the same link I posted.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1377 on: March 23, 2023, 06:38:54 PM »
The copyright stuff is just bollocks. Everybody just accepts it as if it is some great pronouncement, its not.
They have a copyright they can create a new copyright.
Its almost irrelevant.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1378 on: March 23, 2023, 07:34:36 PM »

Really like the new badge, but this one was better.
Maybe next time

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #1379 on: March 23, 2023, 07:34:59 PM »
If it helps, the Fédération Française de Football has had its 'cock' logo dressing both left and right over the years. And Les Bleus have won two world cups and were within the width of Dibu's shinbone of winning a third.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal