collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 269537 times)

Offline edgysatsuma89

Re: Crest Review
« Reply #135 on: June 25, 2022, 01:40:44 AM »
Where the fuck are all the square badges?

Like paul_e says I do find a lot of the circle ones a bit identikit although I much prefer it over the shield. For me though I would like to go with the spurs style and just have the lion with Aston Villa as the only writing. I suspect they are looking at the circle with the 'leading the witness' paragraph where they bring it up. If we are then I don't want AVFC, football club, prepared, the star and 1874. In that order of importance.

I have signed up. Fighting for just the lion and Aston Villa all day everyday bruv.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #136 on: June 25, 2022, 02:04:33 AM »
The worst one by far is that West Ham 'London' one, just awful, I'd hate us to have something that cringemakingly shit.

ASTON VILLA
BIRMINGHAM

would be troll gold though

I followed the same thought process, an amusing consultation (only) on that but maybe with added ‘The City is ours’, purely for the same reason, shouldn’t spend time thinking what would be most provocative to float!
Perhaps simply “The Birmingham Club”

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #137 on: June 25, 2022, 02:19:02 AM »
The star is an embarrassment.

It signifies we won the top club competition in Europe, arguably the world at a time you had to be a league champion to do so. There is literally nothing embarrassing about it. You could argue for or against it on the badge but embarrassing? Not in the least.

It is embarrassing. We were that desperate to shoehorn it in we put it inside the crest and made it lopsided. And that's not taking into account how small it makes us look. It smacks of an inferiority complex honestly.

So do Forest have an inferiority complex? How about Ajax, Bayern, OM, Juventus, Borussia Dortmund, AC Milan, Inter, Benfica etc?

Forest are the only other English club that does this for the EC which says something yes.

Most of those other countries have rules in place for awarding stars and is more of a tradition. They don't just place it inside their badge even if it looks shit just to shout about their achievement.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #138 on: June 25, 2022, 04:18:28 AM »
I don't think a star should be incorporated into our crest. If we can't have it above, then leave it. I don't give a toss about 'prepared' (meaningless), '1874' (who cares?) or 'F.C.' (of course we are).

We are the old boys of English football. We have the heritage, the class, the pedigree, the colours, the name. 'Aston Villa' and the lion is enough. It SHOULD be a marketing dream. We're the original 'superclub', down on our luck in recent years but fighting back.

We're the Villa. 'Nuff said.

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #139 on: June 25, 2022, 04:41:08 AM »
Can we get Wills to have a word with his gran and then get a rebrand to Royal Aston Villa, add a unicorn with the lion, preferably juggling a blues fan over a crown , ditch prepared for By Appointment to the House of Windsor.

Would make every other badge look like the cheap new money shits they are.

Online German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #140 on: June 25, 2022, 07:09:50 AM »
I didn't realise how many had the date they were formed split on either side. Fuck that!

Offline nigel

« Reply #141 on: June 25, 2022, 09:27:33 AM »
This was the 70's badge introduced by Tommy Doc:

New badge needs 'Aston Villa'

In case you're interested, this site will tell all about lion rampant etc.:-

https://www.internationalheraldry.com/

This would be perfect with ‘Aston Villa’ underneath for our home shirt. Claret lion for our away.

If it’s to have a boarder I’d go with the ‘57 style crest with ‘Aston Villa’ instead of ‘Prepared’
The star can go outside the crest, at the top

Offline Villan82

« Reply #142 on: June 25, 2022, 09:35:11 AM »
I still can't get my head around the fact that Tommy Doc, the manager, changed our crest and introduced an all claret kit. Different era!

The 1950s crest is  real classic. The Lerner crest is a bit of a nod to it except for the colour of the lion. One thing is for sure, based on this thread, there will definitely be no consensus on whatever they come up with!

Personally, I would like
1. A more fierce looking lion.
2. More claret. The current one is a bit too blue.
3. The words Aston Villa.

Offline stubbsyandy

« Reply #143 on: June 25, 2022, 10:00:41 AM »
It's either a circle or a shield, much as I'd be up for something different.

Some of the newer suggested types just have a stereotypical element about them.

How about a star..

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #144 on: June 25, 2022, 10:03:07 AM »
This was the 70's badge introduced by Tommy Doc:

New badge needs 'Aston Villa'

In case you're interested, this site will tell all about lion rampant etc.:-

https://www.internationalheraldry.com/

This would be perfect with ‘Aston Villa’ underneath for our home shirt. Claret lion for our away.

If it’s to have a boarder I’d go with the ‘57 style crest with ‘Aston Villa’ instead of ‘Prepared’
The star can go outside the crest, at the top
Agreed 100%
Images of the new away kit I've seen have claret lion on light blue shirt.
Simple and perfect!

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #145 on: June 25, 2022, 10:30:00 AM »
Round badge return for me.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #146 on: June 25, 2022, 10:50:21 AM »
I don't think a star should be incorporated into our crest. If we can't have it above, then leave it. I don't give a toss about 'prepared' (meaningless), '1874' (who cares?) or 'F.C.' (of course we are).

We are the old boys of English football. We have the heritage, the class, the pedigree, the colours, the name. 'Aston Villa' and the lion is enough. It SHOULD be a marketing dream. We're the original 'superclub', down on our luck in recent years but fighting back.

We're the Villa. 'Nuff said.

Prepared is a motto that means what it says.

1874, you should care, you talk of us being the' old boys, the heritage' yet want to chuck away an identifier of that?

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #147 on: June 25, 2022, 11:35:32 AM »
1874 matters, its about our heritage. The full ‘Aston Villa’, we’re not a city or a united, our name is original it should be there in all its glory, its part of what makes us who we are much like the fact we’ve been about so long.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #148 on: June 25, 2022, 11:56:13 AM »
Does 1874 really add anything to the crest though and who would it be on there for?

I think it's a lot like the star, it's part of the club and our history and should be something we celebrate (especially with a big anniversary coming up) but maybe not something to build our 2020s identity around.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #149 on: June 25, 2022, 12:33:10 PM »
The star is an embarrassment.

It signifies we won the top club competition in Europe, arguably the world at a time you had to be a league champion to do so. There is literally nothing embarrassing about it. You could argue for or against it on the badge but embarrassing? Not in the least.

It is embarrassing. We were that desperate to shoehorn it in we put it inside the crest and made it lopsided. And that's not taking into account how small it makes us look. It smacks of an inferiority complex honestly.

So do Forest have an inferiority complex? How about Ajax, Bayern, OM, Juventus, Borussia Dortmund, AC Milan, Inter, Benfica etc?

Forest are the only other English club that does this for the EC which says something yes.

Most of those other countries have rules in place for awarding stars and is more of a tradition. They don't just place it inside their badge even if it looks shit just to shout about their achievement.

Is what i think. Plus the first people to start going on about stars were Tim Lovejoy and friends.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 12:44:28 PM by dave.woodhall »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal