collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 279384 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2022, 09:37:11 PM »
The star is an embarrassment.

Why?

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #121 on: June 24, 2022, 10:01:11 PM »
As long as it’s got Aston Villa and a lion I’ll be happy

None of this AVFC stuff we’ve got the greatest name in world football bar none, it’s so good celebs fall in love with it and start supporting us for no other reason
Why would anyone think abbreviating it was a good idea

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #122 on: June 24, 2022, 10:02:39 PM »
Ask Lerner.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #123 on: June 24, 2022, 10:24:03 PM »
I would love us to have the round badge again.

Online Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #124 on: June 24, 2022, 10:58:11 PM »

It signifies we won the top club competition in Europe, arguably the world at a time you had to be a league champion to do so. There is literally nothing embarrassing about it. You could argue for or against it on the badge but embarrassing? Not in the least.

It is embarrassing. We were that desperate to shoehorn it in we put it inside the crest and made it lopsided. And that's not taking into account how small it makes us look. It smacks of an inferiority complex honestly.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #125 on: June 24, 2022, 11:07:28 PM »
It was at a time when every team was trying to find an excuse to put a star or two on their badge. Huddersfield managed three.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #126 on: June 24, 2022, 11:09:53 PM »
I can't imagine this will be super popular but, I've always loved the Villa badge from around the 50s. I just think it oozes old-school class, unique charm and a sense of gravity befitting the stature of the club. I wonder what a modern take on this might be like.

Offline mike

« Reply #127 on: June 24, 2022, 11:37:35 PM »

Why?

The reason I find it embarrassing is it reminds me of the pubs/hotels etc that keep a sign saying 'best whatever' and it's dated years ago. It just immediately points out you've gone off the boil a bit since you got the award. Obviously it's a stupendously fabulous achievement but I'd rather have two stars in a few years time when we win it again.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #128 on: June 24, 2022, 11:53:41 PM »

It signifies we won the top club competition in Europe, arguably the world at a time you had to be a league champion to do so. There is literally nothing embarrassing about it. You could argue for or against it on the badge but embarrassing? Not in the least.

It is embarrassing. We were that desperate to shoehorn it in we put it inside the crest and made it lopsided. And that's not taking into account how small it makes us look. It smacks of an inferiority complex honestly.

So do Forest have an inferiority complex? How about Ajax, Bayern, OM, Juventus, Borussia Dortmund, AC Milan, Inter, Benfica etc?

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2022, 11:59:58 PM »

So do Forest have an inferiority complex? How about Ajax, Bayern, OM, Juventus, Borussia Dortmund, AC Milan, Inter, Benfica etc?

The Italian clubs have a ruling on their badges - ten titles for every star.

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #130 on: June 25, 2022, 12:00:52 AM »
I think before we start complaining that our badge is cringeworthy for celebrating our European Cup success, maybe we should stop the fans singing ‘have you won the European Cup’ to all and sundry, rather than just the likes of Arsenal and the smaller of the Manchester clubs.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #131 on: June 25, 2022, 12:02:24 AM »
It's either a circle or a shield, much as I'd be up for something different.

The badge we won the league and European Cup in really is so simple and effective; it's timeless.

Some of the newer suggested types just have a stereotypical element about them.

As mentioned earlier, keep a star for European competition. We could of course put 7 stars when we play the FA Cup, 5 for the League Cup etc....

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #132 on: June 25, 2022, 12:04:26 AM »

The Italian clubs have a ruling on their badges - ten titles for every star.

It’s still a star signifying a measure of success. That’s all our star is. And it is a very significant accomplishment in our history. This isn’t about me wanting a star because having it or not doesn’t matter. Nobody is taking away what we did. But keeping it certainly isn’t in any way embarrassing or indicative of an inferiority complex.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #133 on: June 25, 2022, 12:05:12 AM »
I think before we start complaining that our badge is cringeworthy for celebrating our European Cup success, maybe we should stop the fans singing ‘have you won the European Cup’ to all and sundry, rather than just the likes of Arsenal and the smaller of the Manchester clubs.

Now that I agree with entirely

Offline Weedy

« Reply #134 on: June 25, 2022, 12:50:45 AM »
This was the 70's badge introduced by Tommy Doc:

Replacing :-

New badge needs 'Aston Villa', but I agree with those who prefer simple designs.

Maybe the old shield, but without the motto and 'Aston' above it, 'Villa' below
Typeface could either be Baskerville or  Birmingham.

Not fussed about the star, we could say the Villan mascot nicked it.

In case you're interested, this site will tell all about lion rampant etc.:-

https://www.internationalheraldry.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal