collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Post match thread. Villa 1 Burnley 1  (Read 15787 times)

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
Re: Post match thread. Villa 1 Burnley 1
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2022, 12:16:42 AM »
A perfectly serviceable performance against an admittedly crap opponent. We created enough to win, but lack a cutting edge. Burnley had a lucky penalty and one other good chance, but that was it.

McGinn was excellent throughout, and the defence was fine. I do like Chambers. Buendia was industrious and had some great touches. Shame about the penalty.

Traoré looked a yard short when he came on, but brought a fabulous save out of Pope.

Luiz seemed to be playing even deeper than usual - was almost like a sweeper at times. I thought we competed well physically.

Chucky seemed not to know where to position himself when we had the ball, but he put himself about and I didn't think he did too badly.

Finally, I honestly don't know why some people bother paying 40 odd quid for a ticket when they miss half the fucking game. They arrive late and piss off early, and do sod all but moan in the few minutes they're actually in their seat. Pisses me off.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2022, 12:18:11 AM »
maybe a reality moment for him
he has not yet "arrived"

Yeah Carney probably should've had more sub minutes this season but he's way off starting 15-20 prem games whatever his agent is telling him.

Probably where Ramsey was in November 2020 and it took him a year to fully establish himself in our starting line up.

He wouldn't be starting for any of these Bundesliga clubs falling over themselves to sign him either.

Online Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2022, 12:21:00 AM »
Chucky 4/10? I hope not...

About right, he did nothing of note, looked miles off the required standard.

For all the hype, when has he?

Never.

He looked like a boy playing against men.

He is. He shows glimpses every game, and will get better. Hopefully while still an Aston Villa player. This desperation by some to write off an eighteen year old is fucking weird.
Agree. It's the modern way of supporting the team for some.
If it isn't oven ready then it's a fond farewell(or f**k him off) whether you're 18 or 35.
I enjoyed tonight.
We lack clinical finishing and but for Pope in goal it would have been a comfortable win.
Brilliant from Emi and Tyrone to save what looked like a certain goal at the end.

Offline ez

« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2022, 12:22:59 AM »
I was working so didn't see any of the game but wasn't in the least surprised to see we hadn't won.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2022, 12:44:09 AM »
Only watched the last 25 mins, so don’t have the full perspective. Looked like Burnley should’ve scored a 2nd and we should’ve had at least another 2 goals. Pope did really well. Can’t argue with a draw really,but frustrating not to get the 3 points.

We had Andy Townsend on the Optus coverage. He’s usually usually quite fair and sometimes a bit Villa-biased which is both rare and nice, but seemed like he was wanting Burnley to win. Maybe he had a few quid on it, Or he hates Leeds? Probably the latter, I don’t know?

Did Chuky get subbed off? I was wanting to see what he was about, but don’t recall seeing him touch the ball.

Thought Villa pressed and hassled Burnley really well at times, but so often, again, we give the ball away cheaply while trying to go forward. It wasn’t costly today, but is annoying to see.

Guess we see what happens at the Etihad last game. Really want to beat them, but I fear a spanking. And then to the summer window and what that brings. I’m a bit over this season now really. Usually get bored after a couple of weeks with no football, but probably could do with a break from the late nights / early mornings!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2022, 12:47:05 AM »

He is. He shows glimpses every game, and will get better. Hopefully while still an Aston Villa player. This desperation by some to write off an eighteen year old is fucking weird.

Nobody's desperate to write him off. He just hasn't played very well yet, and has done nothing to justify the hype. He might turn out to be OK, but if he doesn't sign that contract it won't be with us even if he does, so who cares?

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2022, 01:11:54 AM »
SIX home wins and can't even beat palace or Burnley at home, utter garbage. Only got one half in us, we've gone backwards , if Steven wasn't such a big name as a player he'd be out the door

Horrendous getting away from the stadium

Grim end to a terrible season.

14th unacceptable

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2022, 01:58:23 AM »
We were unlucky not to win - Pope was incredible. We were lucky not to lose - that's why Mings is a great defender, he reads danger. I'm amazed Barnes stayed on. I'm amazed Lowton was sent off. I love watching Buendia, Coutinho and especially Bert Traore. I hate that the speed of the modern game squeezes the pure delight out of it.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2022, 01:58:44 AM »
A  it like last season. Should have won by a cricket score, but didn't.

Slow first half, much better second when we moved it quicker. They had 1 chance, should have been down to 9 men.

Any consolation on failing to beat that shower again is that it will probably help relegate Leeds.

Rolling Road Blocks are shit. As are shut junctions.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2022, 02:04:28 AM »
SIX home wins and can't even beat palace or Burnley at home, utter garbage. Only got one half in us, we've gone backwards , if Steven wasn't such a big name as a player he'd be out the door

Horrendous getting away from the stadium

Grim end to a terrible season.

14th unacceptable
we did beat Palace at their place though. Probably best away performance of the season. Certainly up there with OT and Chelsea in the LC. Decent win away at Burnley too, a couple of weeks ago. I wouldn’t call 8 pts from a possible 12 from those 2 clubs ‘utter garbage’.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 02:12:33 AM by robbo1874 »

Offline FailsworthVillan

« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2022, 02:10:50 AM »
A  it like last season. Should have won by a cricket score, but didn't.

Slow first half, much better second when we moved it quicker. They had 1 chance, should have been down to 9 men.

Any consolation on failing to beat that shower again is that it will probably help relegate Leeds.

Rolling Road Blocks are shit. As are shut junctions.
I take it you go M6 North ?

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2022, 02:11:02 AM »
We started very well but after they weathered the early storm it soon became clear that they would be difficult to break down. This has been a constant at VP when the opponents dig in.
John McGinn was good. Both goalkeepers were excellent.
Buenida was good going forward but less so in defence. He seems to have taken over McGinn's role of giving away stupid fouls in damaging positions. Until we get a decent DCM, this will keep happening with one midfielder or another.
Matt Lowton was going for glory when he got sent off. Decent response from the Villa faithful.

Offline Perthvillan

• GM : 25.08.2023
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2022, 03:43:41 AM »
Their keeper Pope was MOM and I was a little disappointed we couldn't finish them off.
We continue to look a work in progress.
I'm glad the season is over (apart from Sunday) and we can re-set in the summer with some strengthening in the squad and a defined game plan.
A bit worried about Sunday actually.
I hope we don't get a tonking with the whole world watching.

The Villa-Man U friendly on 23rd July here in Perth is a sell out (60 000) by the way.
Probably 57 000 plastic mancs from Oz, Malaysia, Singapore etc.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2022, 06:34:00 AM »
Strolling up to a game on a fine spring evening with not a care in the world is a rare treat. I made the most of that and enjoyed the game.
I have plenty of concerns and doubts about the future under this manager, as many before but sometimes I think we need to enjoy the now and let the future take care of itself.

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2022, 06:46:26 AM »
From what i id see Pope kept them in it when we did have ideas going forward. They came for a point and got it.

Cannot comment on the Barnes/Mings incident because of the debacle over season tickets to get in the Holte. Ticket gets refused [for no reason], have to go to a ticket office to stand in a queue for 40 mins and miss the first 25 of the game. They opened two windows, and checked every single ticket on the computer, printing them off ... absolute farce. Must have been a few hundred this happened to.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal