collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Post match thread. Villa 1 Burnley 1  (Read 16015 times)

Online Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
Re: Post match thread. Villa 1 Burnley 1
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2022, 11:19:23 PM »
 I wish Burnley and Leeds had an overnight takeover and became Burleeds and both got relegated.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2022, 11:31:16 PM »
The season summed up in one game I suppose.  Some good bits, some poor bits, but just an overall feeling of frustration really.  Gerrard is going to have to have a rethink on the shape of the midfield, as the constant sideways passing which ends up with a full-back who is completely isolated and then goes backwards or sideways all over again, just isn't working.  He needs to find a system that is going to get the best out of Coutinho and Buendia next season and doesn't involve them having to drop so deep. 

Old gravel voice may be gone, but Burnley are still a shithouse outfit.  I was in the North Stand and Pope was blatantly time wasting from the first minute.  They constantly fouled during the game and then dived any time anyone went near them, with their centre halves being the worst of the lot. 

Offline Olof's Beard

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2022, 11:37:32 PM »
I can remember at least 3 without trying very hard. Brighton, Southampton, Norwich. Oh and Leicester. So it is 4 wins. The other 2 were Newcastle and Everton under Smudger.

He hasn't ripped up any trees at Villa Park but let's not halve his home wins.

2nd season running that Pope has single handedly denied us a home win against those cloggers. I thought our attitude was good but we have no winning mentality and let teams off the hook too easily. Ball retention was generally better, that was a positive. McGinn was great too.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2022, 11:40:46 PM »
Load of rubbish. Couldn’t even organise the lap of appreciation properly.
Didn't stay for that as I am obviously a wanker but may be it was messed up because our Steven  was having a stern word with few of the non performing players.

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2022, 11:41:25 PM »
Incredible to see a top flight team offer so little on the counter attack as Burnley. Pope and Tarkowski are great players for their system though so that's why ultimately the draw plenty home and away to give them chance of staying up year in year out.

Just one of those games where we didn't have to do much to create some chances but ultimately just stuck in 14th place means the motivation just wasn't there.

McGinn was unlucky not to score first half but ultimately he just can't influence games enough, Carney underwhelming. Ings with the usual nearly moments near the end.

Pretty boring end to a boring season.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2022, 11:41:54 PM »
They should have done that on Sunday, when people have a bit of spare time.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2022, 11:43:21 PM »
I really don't think we played that badly today, especially considering it was a new line up. The one thing we definitely lack (and have for a long long time) is a killer instinct - both in taking chances and managing games.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2022, 11:46:25 PM »
I can remember at least 3 without trying very hard. Brighton, Southampton, Norwich. Oh and Leicester. So it is 4 wins. The other 2 were Newcastle and Everton under Smudger.

He hasn't ripped up any trees at Villa Park but let's not halve his home wins.

2nd season running that Pope has single handedly denied us a home win against those cloggers. I thought our attitude was good but we have no winning mentality and let teams off the hook too easily. Ball retention was generally better, that was a positive. McGinn was great too.
Good post great man's Beard. Just about sums it up for me. Our Steven has a lot to prove next season.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2022, 11:49:19 PM »

That was my first thought. People have to get up for work so are going to piss off pretty sharpish.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2022, 11:55:55 PM »
Chucky 4/10? I hope not...

About right, he did nothing of note, looked miles off the required standard.

For all the hype, when has he?

Never.

He looked like a boy playing against men.

Totally unconvincing.
Stop it. We don't need to "kill' the lad I thought he did ok but albeit  in a confusing role our Steven assigned him.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2022, 11:56:29 PM »
High points - Pope’s save from Traore header and the Mings goal line block

Low points - Carney. Not seen anything from him that warrants the high opinion and clamour for him to sign a bumper contract.

Not too concerned with how the season has gone. With the right signings in the summer, I think we could be in for a ride next season.
Biggest surprise this season has been Buendia - I was expecting a fairly lightweight, technical player that would need to be wrapped in cotton wool. The guy is a terrier, and if he’d have got more game time since Xmas, I think he’d have given Matty a run for that player of the year trophy. Really impressed with him, and especially his attitude.

Anyway, one to go (hopefully another draw!), then it’s over till August. UTV
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 08:18:31 AM by Nii Lamptey »

Offline olaftab

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2022, 11:57:41 PM »

That was my first thought. People have to get up for work so are going to piss off pretty sharpish.
And the fact that youngsters who love that sort of thing needed to go home as yes its a school night.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2022, 11:58:03 PM »
Chucky 4/10? I hope not...

About right, he did nothing of note, looked miles off the required standard.

For all the hype, when has he?

Never.

He looked like a boy playing against men.

He is. He shows glimpses every game, and will get better. Hopefully while still an Aston Villa player. This desperation by some to write off an eighteen year old is fucking weird.

Online Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2022, 11:58:58 PM »
I agree with you Nii Lamptey.

I’m not as disheartened as some.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2022, 12:02:35 AM »
Had a lovely time with the babby, courtesy of tickets kindly transferred by London Villan of this parish. Pint in The Villa Tavern, lovely weather for it, decent performance and plenty of incidents for my ten year-old son, who has just got properly interested, to enjoy. He’s been a few times before (when aged about 3/4/5), but he was buzzing this time having recently started playing FIFA and kicking a ball around with me.

He said he really enjoyed it but also said he was “not happy with the result”.

Thanks again LV.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal