collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 784436 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #300 on: April 09, 2022, 08:58:28 AM »
If our medium term aim is to break into the top 6
we will need
2 central defenders
2 midfielders one being a CDM
1 forward preferably goalscoring

imo
I think this is pretty accurate and why I think Top 6 is unlikely.
Maybe, but maybe in the medium term 1 or 2 of those can be filled with homegrown talent, which maybe makes it less unlikely ?  Or maybe thats wishful thinking
It’s the wishful thinking that keeps you going.
Getting youngsters to transition to the PL level is one thing, but for them to be PL elite level is pretty rare. Our last in a generation fucked off up the M6.

So not exactly corporation omnibus frequency.
Hopefully they will be more frequent -  Ramsey for his age is the better than any other 20 year old villa player I have seen for since probably Barry. 

Think some of those on Loan could be pretty special.  It’s a difficult path to walk in terms of blooding them
Fingers X mate.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #301 on: April 09, 2022, 09:15:25 AM »
That Haaland looks decent, we should go for him

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #302 on: April 09, 2022, 09:24:31 AM »
Fix the midfield, and the defence will look better. Mings is a very good defender most of the time, but the more pressure he’s under, the more chance he has to drop a bollock. We need to keep the ball much, much better than we do, with McGinn usually being the chief culprit in giving it away. Selling Konsa would be madness.
This.

Yep I strongly agree with this.  I think there’s some good players in the squad - including midfielders - but they do not suit Gerrard’s 4321.  Change two of the three midfielders and I reckon the rest will improve.
Add me to the list of agree-ers. Think a lot of our problems would be sorted with having midfielders who were more suited to their roles. I'd keep McGinn though, barring a silly offer. Play him further up the pitch & he'd be fine. It's just his ball retention isn't anywhere near what it needs to be to play in the position he's in now.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #303 on: April 09, 2022, 09:31:16 AM »
If McGinn plays further up the pitch, he will have to weigh in with his fair share of goals and assists, I wonder if we have better players at the club who already play that role, or if McGinn can adapt his game to the level that Gerrard wants.  That DCM role is absolutely key to what we achieve next season.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 09:47:25 AM by Steve67 »

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #304 on: April 09, 2022, 10:11:39 AM »
Fix the midfield, and the defence will look better. Mings is a very good defender most of the time, but the more pressure he’s under, the more chance he has to drop a bollock. We need to keep the ball much, much better than we do, with McGinn usually being the chief culprit in giving it away. Selling Konsa would be madness.

Not wishing to be controversial for the sake of it but I see it exactly the opposite

all our central defenders are so poor with the ball with no composure that they automatically put more pressure on the midfield players,
midfield is having to drop back pick up the ball do the work that a decent ball playing central defender could be doing
They are so slow and ponderous, There can’t be a player in the premiership that has passed the ball back to the goalkeeper more than Konsa,
For me playing the ball out from our first third is our biggest weakness atm, It’s agonising to watch at times

In summary fix the central defence and the midfield will look a lot better

Offline john e

« Reply #305 on: April 09, 2022, 10:12:56 AM »
Sorry for the x 3 Risso quote
Don’t know what happened there

Offline Villan82

« Reply #306 on: April 09, 2022, 10:15:15 AM »
Our problem is that, in every department, we have very good individuals but we cannot seem to make a team out of them. We get beaten so often it is criminal. I hate how often we lose and wish we could draw more of those games. As individuals, a lot our players would be valuable and prized by a lot of prem teams. Maybe a proper pre-season is what we need, to mould a proper team that's hard to beat?

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #307 on: April 09, 2022, 10:52:32 AM »
If McGinn plays further up the pitch, he will have to weigh in with his fair share of goals and assists, I wonder if we have better players at the club who already play that role, or if McGinn can adapt his game to the level that Gerrard wants.  That DCM role is absolutely key to what we achieve next season.

Playing McGinn further up the pitch is the standard statement that I sort of agree with, but you do make an excellent point. The same sort of applies to Dougie as well.
Its all well and good all of us saying that our Midfield is poor because players are playing out of position or in the wrong role, but im not convinced they are good enough in other roles. Ramsey I think is the only exception to this argument as he seems like a cracking player.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #308 on: April 09, 2022, 10:53:20 AM »
That Haaland looks decent, we should go for him
Only if Davies leaves

Offline john e

« Reply #309 on: April 10, 2022, 11:25:11 AM »
If our medium term aim is to break into the top 6
we will need
2 central defenders
2 midfielders one being a CDM
1 forward preferably goalscoring

imo

Better make that 2 strikers after yesterday (hopefully one we already got out on loan)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #310 on: April 10, 2022, 12:02:17 PM »

Not wishing to be controversial for the sake of it but I see it exactly the opposite

all our central defenders are so poor with the ball with no composure that they automatically put more pressure on the midfield players,
midfield is having to drop back pick up the ball do the work that a decent ball playing central defender could be doing
They are so slow and ponderous, There can’t be a player in the premiership that has passed the ball back to the goalkeeper more than Konsa,
For me playing the ball out from our first third is our biggest weakness atm, It’s agonising to watch at times

The central defenders aren't as poor on the ball as McGinn is. He made at least 3 absolute kamikaze passes yesterday, he's atrocious. When the team lined up, Luiz was sitting just in fron the of the back four, with Ramsey and McGinn a lot more advanced in a sort of 'V' formation. McGinn was atrocious though. He's slow, clearly overweight and he does nothing of note at all. Gives the ball away, doesn't create much and doesn't score goals.

Offline john e

« Reply #311 on: April 10, 2022, 12:39:20 PM »

The central defenders aren't as poor on the ball as McGinn is. He made at least 3 absolute kamikaze passes yesterday, he's atrocious. When the team lined up, Luiz was sitting just in fron the of the back four, with Ramsey and McGinn a lot more advanced in a sort of 'V' formation. McGinn was atrocious though. He's slow, clearly overweight and he does nothing of note at all. Gives the ball away, doesn't create much and doesn't score goals.

Yeah really can’t argue with any of that because it’s just a load of bollocks 😊

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #312 on: April 10, 2022, 12:43:25 PM »
Yes sorry John, I've clearly ignored McGinn getting into double figures every year to make a point.

Offline john e

« Reply #313 on: April 10, 2022, 12:45:51 PM »
Yes sorry John, I've clearly ignored McGinn getting into double figures every year to make a point.

Sorry I didn’t read the whole post I just read the first line and gave up

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #314 on: April 10, 2022, 01:22:04 PM »

Ramsey's already scored 7 in the league hasn't he? If he add a couple more v likes of Norwich and Burnley that will be him hitting double figures in the league while still developing which will be some achievement. Was unlucky not to score yesterday.

Hard to think McGinn could ever hit double figures even playing as AM imo.

Someone younger and better than McGinn in the actual "McGinn" role.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal