collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 784430 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #270 on: April 08, 2022, 11:19:52 AM »
Rumours that we are prepared to listen to offers for Konsa. Arsenal apparently interested.

I won't be impressed if we replace him with, say, Gomez.

Gomez looked awful for Liverpool in recent times, I really don't think that's an upgrade at all after his bad injury.

Konsa not been as good as last season but there's still a good defender there when he's wearing the right studs. Would be a bit knee jerk to move him on unless we're getting a stupid bid for him.

I imagine Brentford have been clever as they usually are and have a hefty sell on clause so dosen't seem much point in selling him imo unless he desperately wants to leave.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #271 on: April 08, 2022, 11:24:31 AM »
Fix the midfield, and the defence will look better. Mings is a very good defender most of the time, but the more pressure he’s under, the more chance he has to drop a bollock. We need to keep the ball much, much better than we do, with McGinn usually being the chief culprit in giving it away. Selling Konsa would be madness.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #272 on: April 08, 2022, 11:28:54 AM »
On the face of it, selling Konsa would be weird.  But central defender partnerships are critical - they make each other look better or worse than they are more than any other positions the pitch I always think.  So, the coaching staff will have a clear idea as to which one / both aren't good enough for how they want to play, which is obviously from the back on the deck. 

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #273 on: April 08, 2022, 11:44:01 AM »
Still not sure how good Konsa's distribution is. He always takes the safe option of squaring to Mings to play it forward.

Online rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024
« Reply #274 on: April 08, 2022, 12:00:25 PM »
I get the feeling Gerrard doesn’t rate Konsa as much as we do.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #275 on: April 08, 2022, 12:09:48 PM »
He hasn't seen him at his best tbf, but you would have thought he'd have done his homework.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #276 on: April 08, 2022, 01:09:39 PM »
I really like Konsa and think he could become a top CB but I do think he's had a poor season, which has added a lot of pressure on Mings. So much so that I think Chambers was unlucky to lose his place on the back of 1 iffy performance against West Ham having been very good in our 2 best performance this year.

On this season I can understand why Gerrard doesn't rate him as highly as the fans do and might see it as a position that needs to be addressed further.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #277 on: April 08, 2022, 01:17:38 PM »
Mings is a very good defender most of the time, but the more pressure he’s under, the more chance he has to drop a bollock.

I'm not sure that's true. He's at his best when he's throwing himself at everything and getting his head on the end of endless balls into the box. His ricks tend to be when he's got plenty of time and he's just too casual.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #278 on: April 08, 2022, 01:35:11 PM »
Surely we're looking at the wrong priorities if we start offloading CB before we've sorted out central midfield.
The only reason to single out Konsa of the 4 current CB is that the club perhaps think we will get the most money for him. However, if it means spending what we earn on a similar CB, what would be the point?!

Online villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #279 on: April 08, 2022, 02:01:05 PM »
I really think the Konsa/Watkins to Arsenal talk is just London media nonsense. If we upgrade their positions and they are deemed surplus to requirements, that's one thing, but to say we are actively listening to offers.. wouldn't any good DOF pick up the phone and listen?

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #280 on: April 08, 2022, 02:02:05 PM »
Mings is a very good defender most of the time, but the more pressure he’s under, the more chance he has to drop a bollock.

I'm not sure that's true. He's at his best when he's throwing himself at everything and getting his head on the end of endless balls into the box. His ricks tend to be when he's got plenty of time and he's just too casual.

I'd balance what you've both said, with agreeing with you Dave, but also then agreeing with Risso that he drops a bollock when he puts himself under pressure unnecessarily as a result of having too much time.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #281 on: April 08, 2022, 02:18:48 PM »
I think part of our problem lately is a lack of an upfield outlet pass as Watkins isn't holding the ball up as well as he did last season and all our other attackers are 4 ' 6".

Teams are increasingly leaving two or three men forward to close us down from goal kicks and they're bound to make the odd mistake under that pressure every time.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #282 on: April 08, 2022, 02:38:25 PM »
We only signed Konsa up to a new contract last April after a very good season.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #283 on: April 08, 2022, 04:39:03 PM »
I think any of our players are sellable if they want to leave, see Grealish last season. I also think all but Martinez are sellable even if they’re not pushing to leave if the right offer comes in and we have a really good replacement lined up. There’s a lot of the squad I’d prefer to keep on the strength of their ability though, Konsa included. I’m not sure he’s ‘pushed on’ to use football jargon as much as I thought though. First season he looked like the best young centre back we’d had since Ugo. Last season he improved slightly and this season he’s not been quite as good, discipline being an issue too. As I say though, definitely sooner keep him and certainly wouldn’t replace with Gomez, who’s not bad but nothing special. The weakest cb we currently have is Hause, who isn’t terrible by any means but he’d be the obvious one out the door if we’re bringing someone in.

Offline nigel

« Reply #284 on: April 08, 2022, 05:39:12 PM »
I don’t think Konsa will be going anywhere.
Watkins, on the other hand, I could see him going.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal