collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 793307 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2022, 11:18:37 AM »
Without the ball isn't he worse than Conor Hourihane?

Pogba was probably the outstanding player in a World Cup winning French side. Brilliant in the semi final and final. But he had grafters next to him in Kante and Matuidu. From what I remember he played a reasonably disciplined role for France back then.

Fell out with Mourinho soon after and I don't think he has been the same player since. I did think it was quite funny near the end of Mourinho's time where he was literally walking around the pitch. Turned it on then nearly immediately when Mourinho left. Hugely talented player but leaving Man United twice on a free says a lot about that club these days and him.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2022, 11:48:21 AM »
Pogba played well for proper teams like Juventus and France. No wonder he doesn't look great playing alongside dross like Sancho and the ghost of Cristiano Ronaldo. Stick him in front of Phillips and alongside Coutinho and Buendia and he will be good. Be difficult to afford him but I would be willing to have everyone's season ticket but mine increase if that helps in any way.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2022, 12:12:04 PM »
Just as there is a dearth of top-class centre halves there’s also not many top strikers under the age of 30 that spring to mind
I mean if you’ve got 50-60 mil to spend on a top quality centre forward who you going to bring in realistically

I was thinking the same pal. I liked the look of Daka that Leicester signed, but he's hardly pulled up trees

I've said this before but very few teams in top level european football play in a way that suits having a high scoring centre forward, there's probably 10-12 players that are roughly what you'd call a traditional number 9 that are excelling across the top european leagues.

In England: Kane, Vardy and Toney as out and out strikers in double figures (and maybe Ronaldo but he's so versatile that I don't think he really counts).
In Spain: Benzema and Joselu (and then a few who I'd say are between being a 9 and 10).
In Italy: Immobile, Abraham, Dzeko and Vlahovic.
In Germany: Lewandowski, Haaland, Schick and Modeste.
In France: Jonathan David I guess but no one else really.

All of those leagues though (except Germany where Lewandowski is godlike) have wingers scoring at a similar rate to the strikers and teams structured to get regular goals from 3-4 different players. This has been the trend for years and it's notable how many of those strikers are towards the end of their careers. The centre forward role is changing and now is about being a pivot player that creates space and draws defenders as much as getting "20 a season".

This is why I'd have preferred someone more versatile than Ings (even though I really rate Ings as a player) and why I often talk about getting goals a unit rather than individuals, if our front 3 players between them get 30-35 a season then we'll be in a good place (assuming we get a reasonable amount from defence and midfield as well), if that means 3-4 players getting 8-9 and then a couple more chipping in a few then I'm fine with that. I'd say this season we're pretty close to making that but have been scuppered by some really dodgy defensive displays at key points.

You’ve pretty much described Keinan Davis with that comment, Paul.

At Forest he’s not scoring loads, but bringing goals to others.

I’m not saying he’s the answer, but we know he can perform well vrs Premier league defenders, he just needs to knock in 10-12 goals a season

I know, and it wasn't a mistake, if he can stay fit he could be exactly the sort of player for Watkins, Coutinho, Bailey, etc to be running off and working over defenders.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2022, 12:30:36 PM »
Let me get this right - we're wondering whether we should sign Pogba to play alongside Coutinho. Something's not right here.

Offline trinityoap

« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2022, 12:39:17 PM »
Well, it makes a change from Eric Djemba Djemba.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2022, 12:49:44 PM »

I believe he's available on a free if we move swiftly.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2022, 12:59:03 PM »

He can’t move swiftly, so why should we do so?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2022, 04:50:06 PM »
It's the last thing he'll expect.

Online LeonW

« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2022, 06:01:47 PM »
Pogba played well for proper teams like Juventus and France. No wonder he doesn't look great playing alongside dross like Sancho and the ghost of Cristiano Ronaldo. Stick him in front of Phillips and alongside Coutinho and Buendia and he will be good. Be difficult to afford him but I would be willing to have everyone's season ticket but mine increase if that helps in any way.

At Juve he was made to look good by a peak Arturo Vidal and still outstanding Andrea Pirlo. He was very much the third wheel for me. For France, Kante allowed him to play a decent ball every now and again with the work he did on his behalf. But then Kante made Danny Drinkwater a £25m player which tells you something about how good he is.

Pogba is great for a highlights package but he can’t control a game, can’t speed it up and slow it down -things you’d expect from an elite level midfielder. He can’t concentrate for the majority of a game and is quite often lacking in discipline-both in himself and tactically. The odd decent pass or goal seems to be enough to reinforce in his head that he’s on a different level. He never seems to realise that the best do it more consistently-even in the same game.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2022, 06:11:52 PM »

He can’t move swiftly, so why should we do so?

If we can't do it whilst he's old, when can we do it?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2022, 07:46:32 PM »
Pogba is an attitude problem on legs.

If he can't get himself in the right mindset to play for Man United, what's he going to be like here?

Offline Mellin

« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2022, 08:20:00 PM »
I'd like to think we've learnt outr lesson with that type of character. Spreads like a cancer. Ask Roy Keane.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2022, 09:11:51 PM »
Let me get this right - we're wondering whether we should sign Pogba to play alongside Coutinho. Something's not right here.
It’s a bit embarrassing.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2022, 07:57:35 AM »
For what pogba would cost, bellingham would be a better option. Assuming either would even consider us!

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2022, 08:31:57 AM »
Paul Pogba would be a shambles of a signing. Not doubting he has talent but he simple doesn’t have the work rate or attitude for what Gerrard is trying to build here.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal