collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 793325 times)

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2022, 07:14:36 AM »
Traore is a luxury player, has a lot of talent but doesn't ever seem to break sweat. Bailey is harder to judge with all his injuries. I believe we will be suprised by the players that will be moved on, Gerrard has intimated that some of the players will not follow his instuctions and have very little self belief.
Yeah, I agree. I've got a feeling that we might be in for an interesting summer.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2022, 09:38:40 AM »
According to the Daily Fail, we are monitoring Paul Pogba's situation at Man Utd. Hmm.

Offline AGRIPPA

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2022, 09:43:45 AM »
According to the Daily Fail, we are monitoring Paul Pogba's situation at Man Utd. Hmm.

We're not though are we really....

Online Clampy

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2022, 09:44:22 AM »

We're not though are we really....

No.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2022, 09:52:39 AM »
You think Pogba is going to be our defensive midfield superhero....?!

Offline sid1964

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2022, 10:32:15 AM »
If the Villa Management team think that Pogba is the answer to our midfield issues, then we are in serious trouble!

Online Clampy

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2022, 11:00:13 AM »
If the Villa Management team think that Pogba is the answer to our midfield issues, then we are in serious trouble!

But they haven't Sid, so calm down.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2022, 11:42:23 AM »
I don't think any of the top teams will feel they need Phillips. He's good, I really rate him, but I don't think he'd improve any of them. What he could do though is help a side a step below that level attempt to climb said step. And unlike with our approaches for ESR, JWP and Bissouma, our target this time is more likely to not be enticed to stay put solely by improved terms from his current employer. If they stay up, I can't see Leeds being any better next season. I think we've a very good chance of getting him in.
He'd improve Arsenal.  Kante isn't getting any younger at Chelsea.  He'd also improve Man U but too much rivalry to go there I think.  Klopp may even think he could do the Henderson role at Liverpool.  I would have thought there'd be plenty of takers.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2022, 04:18:43 PM »
Just as there is a dearth of top-class centre halves there’s also not many top strikers under the age of 30 that spring to mind
I mean if you’ve got 50-60 mil to spend on a top quality centre forward who you going to bring in realistically

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2022, 06:45:52 PM »
Just as there is a dearth of top-class centre halves there’s also not many top strikers under the age of 30 that spring to mind
I mean if you’ve got 50-60 mil to spend on a top quality centre forward who you going to bring in realistically

I was thinking the same pal. I liked the look of Daka that Leicester signed, but he's hardly pulled up trees

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2022, 07:01:05 PM »
He wants something like 500k a week on his next deal apparently.

Imagine? :D

Offline ventnorVillain

« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2022, 07:34:47 PM »
Personally, I think that all the players we have been "linked" with so far, even Phil, are red herrings and we are being used by players, or more particularly, their agent, as a stalking horse to smoke out interest from other, so called "bigger " clubs to ensure that their assets get a bigger deal and more money so that the agents make more money themselves. Absolutely no chance whatsoever of Coutinho, Phillips etc. coming to us. What do we have to offer them? Mid-table mediocrity? The jury is still out on Gerrard as far as I'm concerned and he has a long way to go to convince me that he can manage a top club and get them to the higher echelons of the premier league, but at the moment I'm not getting too excited. the summer may be interesting, I agree, but exciting? I'm not too sure. :-\

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2022, 07:49:38 PM »
He wants something like 500k a week on his next deal apparently.

Imagine? :D
Yeah stick well clear of this

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2022, 07:50:15 PM »

I was thinking the same pal. I liked the look of Daka that Leicester signed, but he's hardly pulled up trees

I've said this before but very few teams in top level european football play in a way that suits having a high scoring centre forward, there's probably 10-12 players that are roughly what you'd call a traditional number 9 that are excelling across the top european leagues.

In England: Kane, Vardy and Toney as out and out strikers in double figures (and maybe Ronaldo but he's so versatile that I don't think he really counts).
In Spain: Benzema and Joselu (and then a few who I'd say are between being a 9 and 10).
In Italy: Immobile, Abraham, Dzeko and Vlahovic.
In Germany: Lewandowski, Haaland, Schick and Modeste.
In France: Jonathan David I guess but no one else really.

All of those leagues though (except Germany where Lewandowski is godlike) have wingers scoring at a similar rate to the strikers and teams structured to get regular goals from 3-4 different players. This has been the trend for years and it's notable how many of those strikers are towards the end of their careers. The centre forward role is changing and now is about being a pivot player that creates space and draws defenders as much as getting "20 a season".

This is why I'd have preferred someone more versatile than Ings (even though I really rate Ings as a player) and why I often talk about getting goals a unit rather than individuals, if our front 3 players between them get 30-35 a season then we'll be in a good place (assuming we get a reasonable amount from defence and midfield as well), if that means 3-4 players getting 8-9 and then a couple more chipping in a few then I'm fine with that. I'd say this season we're pretty close to making that but have been scuppered by some really dodgy defensive displays at key points.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2022, 07:56:12 PM »
I think two things - we are being linked with big players if it suits us and aids our reputation

I think the club have a desire to make 1 or 2 statement signings.

We clearly work hard on our signings, like Callum Chambers seems very smart work.  The summer didnt work out probably cos with Grealish leaving the club wasnt sure where to go so focused on getting in quality palyers rather than strategic signings.

I think a couple of proven players (would love one of them to be Phillipe, the other a really solid midfielder like philips), plus a couple exciting squad players is probably what we need - and to move on some squad players before they lose all their value.

We have had players woefully out of form this season, and we need to be in the position where we can drop those players. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal