collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 09:03:14 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by GordonCowansisthegreatest
[Today at 08:59:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 783937 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2022, 11:22:36 AM »
Like Traore though, he doesn't seem to have a football brain for the Premier League. They both make the wrong decision way too often and that's not something fitness will fix.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2022, 04:39:25 PM »
I haven't given up on Bailey, in fact if we get Coutinho and we have the same as we have now, Ings, Watkins, Coutinho, Bailey, Traore, Buendia for 3 positions we'll be very strong there. If Coutinho doesn't sign i'd get an alternative but the main aim has to be to bulk out that central midfield with players that can control the game from there. A couple can go and we can bring a couple of new ones in. Get that right and the forwards will benefit as they should see more of the ball. Phillips would be top of my list even at £60m.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2022, 05:20:16 PM »
Bailey showed some great touches at the beginning of the season, then has been injured and had a few minutes here and there since. He really needs to be given a chance.

we are all really excited when he joined and we know he has ability and bags of pace. I would love to see him playing the Salah role down the right in a front three

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2022, 06:43:42 PM »
Phillips would be a great buy and we could add Loftus-Cheek for a bit of bulk with a fair amount of skill.

Loftus-Cheek doesn't use his bulk from what I've seen. A bit of a nothing player, definitely not the ball winner we need  Phillips will have his pick of clubs higher up the division.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2022, 08:04:33 PM »
If we were looking at upgrading with a new striker I think Patrick Schick would be quite useful both in a 2 up top or on his own.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2022, 10:57:59 PM »
The #6 is the key position to be filled but it will be very interesting after the international break to see how Nakamba does for rest of season…if he comes back and shows the form he did before his injury it becomes a case of buying competition for him, if he comes back at the level Douglas has been in that role then potentially we want 2 in.

I think Kalvin Phillips is a cracking player but he has missed a lot of football injured this season so like Nakamba it’ll be interesting to see how he finishes season.  Bissouma, if he is any way still under investigation by police I would hope we won’t touch with a bargepole….not fully convinced he is the #6 we need….like others have said there has to be better VfM in the big European leagues.

Fascinated by this summer, I suspect the performances vs Watford / Newcastle / Arsenal etc will be the ones that Gerrard uses to judge his players for the ones he wants around him going forward - for me we lack leaders, we lack height and when the going gets tough we lack physical dominance.  Of the usual starters I think Martinez / Digne & Ramsey apart all are vulnerable to be replaced / upgraded / sold even Cash / McGinn or Mings if Gerrard wants others in.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2022, 11:39:44 AM »
It would be great if we sign Coutinho and Phillips this summer.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2022, 02:34:22 PM »
I don't know where all this talk of Phillips has come from, but there is zero chance of us signing him this summer.  If he becomes available - even if Leeds stay up it's still a BIG if - then he'll have his pick of clubs competing in Europe, and it will be six months before the World Cup.  There is absolutely no chance he leaves Leeds to go to a club without European football.

Bissouma is much more likely, but I'll be honest, he hasn't impressed me in the times I've seen him play since we were linked late last year.

Personally, I'd rather we tried playing with ONE proper DM, before we switch to a formation where we play with two of them.  We might get to see that again if Marv gets back to a decent fitness level quickly, but I still think our midfield three all suffer from a lack of proper DM.  Let's correct that first, and see if the performances of the other two improve as a result.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2022, 02:40:13 PM »
Surely in that context there would have been no chance of us tempting and very possibly signing Coutinho. At 29 surely he has any number of better football options.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2022, 02:44:58 PM »
Surely in that context there would have been no chance of us tempting and very possibly signing Coutinho. At 29 surely he has any number of better football options.

I think the difference is there that Phil has been there and won everything there is to win, and maybe now just wants to enjoy playing his football. Kalvin Phillips is 26, the same age as Greasy, and is probably at a similar stage where he wants to go on and play in Europe and be in the hunt to win things.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2022, 03:34:02 PM »
I actually think both are unlikely, Phillips even more so for the reasons mentioned. The thing i'm clinging onto with Coutinho is the Gerrard connection and that he's enjoying his time here. We'll see, they'd be great signings obviously but i can't see it.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2022, 10:59:44 PM »
So I think Phillips falls into the ESR, Bissoma and JWP category.

We are interested in them - its unlikely to happen - but it gets "leaked" so people can see our ambition, and the wages etc we are willing to offer.

That then means other players sit up and take notice - cos they see were trying to go places and have money, and can see the calibre of players we are after

Its based on nothing other than the fact that when we want to we do deals in complete silence, so if people know of our interest its because we want them to.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2022, 11:09:42 PM »
The next transfer window needs to be the one where we stop just being linked with £50 million+ quality players and start actually signing. This Board have yet to let us down so I'm hoping some of the more cynical fans will be pleasantly surprised.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2022, 11:46:03 PM »
Traore is a luxury player, has a lot of talent but doesn't ever seem to break sweat. Bailey is harder to judge with all his injuries. I believe we will be suprised by the players that will be moved on, Gerrard has intimated that some of the players will not follow his instuctions and have very little self belief.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2022, 12:51:22 AM »
I don't think any of the top teams will feel they need Phillips. He's good, I really rate him, but I don't think he'd improve any of them. What he could do though is help a side a step below that level attempt to climb said step. And unlike with our approaches for ESR, JWP and Bissouma, our target this time is more likely to not be enticed to stay put solely by improved terms from his current employer. If they stay up, I can't see Leeds being any better next season. I think we've a very good chance of getting him in.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal