collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by ez
[Today at 05:10:29 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:10:10 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 05:08:40 PM]

Re: FFP by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:07:35 PM]

Re: FFP by Ads
[Today at 05:02:40 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 04:59:05 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by LeeB
[Today at 04:54:20 PM]

Re: FFP by pablo_picasso
[Today at 04:54:06 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 1 v Moss Side 2 Post Match Thread.  (Read 25039 times)

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
Re: Aston Villa 1 v Moss Side 2 Post Match Thread.
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2021, 10:44:20 AM »
The rotational fouling is such a cynical but effective tactic for them.

With 70% possession in most games, they only need to do it like 6 times a game, so will very rarely even pick up a yellow as they’re only given for persistent fouling of that sort.

Almost every time we had the ball in space there was a pull, trip etc, just breaking down anything that starts to build.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #151 on: December 02, 2021, 10:44:53 AM »
Why applaud an opposition player anyway? I think I might have done that twice at Villa Park after watching a moment of brilliance. From memory, I think it was a sublime Arsenal goal and Gerrard(?) as he left the pitch after an outstanding performance. I can't even recall the moments correctly.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #152 on: December 02, 2021, 10:46:10 AM »
I've applauded returning players, but not good ones when they are coming on with a couple of mins to go with one goal in the game. Fuck me.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #153 on: December 02, 2021, 10:47:28 AM »
I might have muttered a barely audible "fucking hell, what a goal" when Henry tore us to pieces under O'Leary, but clapping an opposition player as he does a walk of appreciation? Never in a million years. And our players lining up to give him a huge hug need to have a word with themselves as well.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #154 on: December 02, 2021, 10:48:56 AM »
Why applaud an opposition player anyway? I think I might have done that twice at Villa Park after watching a moment of brilliance. From memory, I think it was a sublime Arsenal goal and Gerrard(?) as he left the pitch after an outstanding performance. I can't even recall the moments correctly.

Henry for Arsenal, Zola, Guillet and Lampard for Chelsea, Scholes volley from the corner, albeit with a grimaced 'Ginger C^%$' accompanying it.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #155 on: December 02, 2021, 10:54:58 AM »
Sanctimonious people outraged that Grealish got booed only emphasise why with every passing comment. 'He earned the club 100m' did he? Wow how grateful we should be.

Also City fans are so touchy and so full of excuses about the source of their success it's hilarious. 'Living within our revenue' [cough] ETIHAD DEAL [cough], etc. As if the fact that the sole reason for them being where they are wasn't that the spoilt hyperrich scions of an absolute monarchy took a break from oppressing women and homosexuals and dissidents and the poor to fly to Manchester, where they bought the first club they found.

Booing Grealish is about booing that. It's about the way that, in today's world, the rich can eat anybody's dream they wish to.
Another great post - exactly this - the rich can take things that are special, loved and value and make them just pawns in their games. 

It made enough when our Government do it, let alone other countries doing it to us too

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #156 on: December 02, 2021, 10:56:17 AM »
I did for Ian Wright after he'd tore us to pieces on an Easter Monday in 95, much it was as much in disgust at our abject performance.

Offline Bully2345

« Reply #157 on: December 02, 2021, 10:59:33 AM »
Depends who "we" is. "We" fans can do what they like but I'd suggest that someone high up at Villa Park has decided what "we" as a club will do.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #158 on: December 02, 2021, 11:00:57 AM »
Back to the game - how frustrating to see Watkins play so well in his best position after being played wide for the first few games... you can see his confidence flooding back. I can't see a way back into this team for Ings.

Offline Stinkin_Thinkin

« Reply #159 on: December 02, 2021, 11:02:00 AM »
Villa showed way too much respect, we could of easily turned it into a war the amount of persistent fouls from manchester the ref let go.
I think Gerrard was looking to set up like wolves did when they beat man city a few seasons ago. defend the 18 yard and hit on the break with pace (think adama got a couple of goals on the counter) seems like the only way to beat man city unless you have great players.
We actually did it a couple of times first half but bad decisions, holding the ball too long and general fear in our play meant it came to nothing. Bailey going off ended the strategy.
Watkins feeding off scraps worked so hard and his finish was class,
Have to say Bernardo Silva is brilliant. Rhoderi is like the new Jan Molby, a fat lump anchor who can play. Fernandinhio master of the dark arts. These three run the game.

This new nicey nicey football is something difficult for me to get my head around. I shook my head in disbelief seeing Villa fans applaud the pantomime "Villain" I'd prefer it if he was visibly shocked by vitriol, looks like his PR media team smoothed it over for him very well.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #160 on: December 02, 2021, 11:04:58 AM »
Whole applauding thing depressed me frankly. People can do what they like at the end of the day, but if Salah fecked off to Man City would be he applauded by Liverpool fans on his return? Not a scoobie of a chance and there are as many Salah fanboys currently. as there were Grealish fanboys. I sometimes wonder about our fanbase. Anyway I hope the official site has got the bunting up for Albrighton's return. Someone who at least didn't shaft us

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #161 on: December 02, 2021, 11:06:20 AM »
Sanctimonious people outraged that Grealish got booed only emphasise why with every passing comment. 'He earned the club 100m' did he? Wow how grateful we should be.

Also City fans are so touchy and so full of excuses about the source of their success it's hilarious. 'Living within our revenue' [cough] ETIHAD DEAL [cough], etc. As if the fact that the sole reason for them being where they are wasn't that the spoilt hyperrich scions of an absolute monarchy took a break from oppressing women and homosexuals and dissidents and the poor to fly to Manchester, where they bought the first club they found.

Booing Grealish is about booing that. It's about the way that, in today's world, the rich can eat anybody's dream they wish to.

The ‘got us £100 million’ thing just misses the point so entirely. Firstly because in practical  terms we aren’t n a position to buy a £100 million player at the moment and ‘replacing him with 3 players’ is only genuinely useful if it comes with special dispensation to field 13.

Mostly though - it’s the break of a genuine emotional attachment & investment in a ‘relationship’ (because that’s what it is) where you had really believed the other person felt the same.

Then they leave you for someone with more money and expect that you’ll be OK about it because they let you keep the house.

…..& everyone down the pub just says ‘we’ll - you were always punching a bit above your weight there mate’ & expects you not to want to punch them in the face.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #162 on: December 02, 2021, 11:08:13 AM »
Bailey turns his back on their first, a braver block would likely have stopped it.

Mings tells Konsa to go to the ball for their second, possibly the right call against most sides. But these aren't "most sides", they're like lightning, and it was a foot race Mings wasn't going to win. Some finish, still.

The Konsa penalty shout, I've watched it back a few times and I do think Ake plays him before Konsa gets to the ball. There seems to be somewhat of an "umpire's call" element with VAR of late when things aren't, ahem, clear and obvious, and I think that had it been given on the field, it would not have been overturned.

Chucky, fuuuck. Being fair to the lad, he'll not have met that standard of goalkeeper in front of him before. Yeah, maybe could have done better, but it was a smart save.

I'm loving that new shape, the players seem to be on board with everything, and after a shaky start that left me feeling I was in for a very, very long night, I left feeling deflated by the result but definitely not the performance. Sunday now can't come soon enough!

VTID.

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2021, 11:23:48 AM »
The rotational fouling is such a cynical but effective tactic for them.

With 70% possession in most games, they only need to do it like 6 times a game, so will very rarely even pick up a yellow as they’re only given for persistent fouling of that sort.

Almost every time we had the ball in space there was a pull, trip etc, just breaking down anything that starts to build.

Most good teams do it, but the ref needs to step in with yellow cards after the 3rd or 4th time.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 11:25:59 AM by RichardBatchelor »

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #164 on: December 02, 2021, 11:25:03 AM »
The biggest clubs in this country organically speaking - that's based on historical, success, natural resources (catchment area) etc - are (in order): Man Utd, Liverpool; Arsenal; Villa & Everton; assorted misfits and ne'er-do-wells. I can accept those three (with poison spitting out from gritted teeth, but accepted nonetheless), but lottery-winning petroclubs like Chelsea and City? Sad Sunderland and nebulous Newcastle? Cheerful cockneys like Spurs and the Whammers? They're all in one great primordial swamp together as far as I'm concerned.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal