collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Watkins, Ings, both or neither?  (Read 44063 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Watkins, Ings or both?
« Reply #360 on: July 04, 2022, 11:48:00 AM »
I know what you both mean, but I like him and think he's good to keep around. We need a Plan B and he'd be a great part of it. Especially with the 5 sub thing. It means you can change the full forward unit in one go. Watkins, Coutinho and Buendia off, Ings, Bailey and Traore on (as an example).

I do like him and won't be upset if he does stay (and I think he had a better season than he's given credit for) but if Gerrard wants to repalce him with someone that fits our playstyle better then I can see his point and I think we might be a more balanced squad for it, if the replacement is decent.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #361 on: July 04, 2022, 11:49:43 AM »
I know what you both mean, but I like him and think he's good to keep around. We need a Plan B and he'd be a great part of it. Especially with the 5 sub thing. It means you can change the full forward unit in one go. Watkins, Coutinho and Buendia off, Ings, Bailey and Traore on (as an example).

I do like him and won't be upset if he does stay (and I think he had a better season than he's given credit for) but if Gerrard wants to repalce him with someone that fits our playstyle better then I can see his point and I think we might be a more balanced squad for it, if the replacement is decent.

He's also one of the top earners, which is difficult to justify for a bit part impact sub.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #362 on: July 04, 2022, 12:02:29 PM »

He's also one of the top earners, which is difficult to justify for a bit part impact sub.

Unless he keeps scoring and making an impact as a bit-part impact sub.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #363 on: July 04, 2022, 12:05:05 PM »

But if we sold him and bought a better player, we'd have less need for a bit part impact sub

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #364 on: July 04, 2022, 12:09:10 PM »
We don't necessarily need an identikit replacement for Ollie, Ings offers a lot in his own right.  I think he is a lot more versatile than people give him credit for.  Yes he's excellent at dropping deep and linking up play, but in my opinion he can lead the line in a three if that's how Gerrard wants to play him.  He's not quite as energetic or quick as Watkins, but he still works very hard. 

I think he is a very clever player and his quickness of thought and skill level on the ball could make him ideal for forming a great relationship with Coutihno, whereas Ollie feels a bit more of a blunt instrument to me and not so much on his wavelength.  The strength of his link up play with 10's pushing past him could be a real asset. 

Either way, I feel it's unlikely we'll find better this window and I don't want us to go into the season under staffed up front again, so I hope he stays.  I still think Watkins will kick on a bit this year as well and I'd back them both to have a better season.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #365 on: July 04, 2022, 12:10:18 PM »

But if we sold him and bought a better player, we'd have less need for a bit part impact sub

And have to spend a lot more money. In fees and wages.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #366 on: July 04, 2022, 12:12:08 PM »
We don't necessarily need an identikit replacement for Ollie, Ings offers a lot in his own right.  I think he is a lot more versatile than people give him credit for.  Yes he's excellent at dropping deep and linking up play, but in my opinion he can lead the line in a three if that's how Gerrard wants to play him.  He's not quite as energetic or quick as Watkins, but he still works very hard. 

I think he is a very clever player and his quickness of thought and skill level on the ball could make him ideal for forming a great relationship with Coutihno, whereas Ollie feels a bit more of a blunt instrument to me and not so much on his wavelength.  The strength of his link up play with 10's pushing past him could be a real asset. 

Either way, I feel it's unlikely we'll find better this window and I don't want us to go into the season under staffed up front again, so I hope he stays.  I still think Watkins will kick on a bit this year as well and I'd back them both to have a better season.

He's Adrian Heath with tatoos. We need Teddy Sheringham. Some things never change.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #367 on: July 04, 2022, 12:12:23 PM »
I think for Ings to be a success we really need Bailey to come good. We need his pace to stretch teams, as otherwise Coutinho/Buendia/Ings is all a bit on the slow side. Lots of skill, but a good team will just sit back and try to soak up their through balls.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #368 on: July 04, 2022, 01:00:01 PM »
I think for Ings to be a success we really need Bailey to come good. We need his pace to stretch teams, as otherwise Coutinho/Buendia/Ings is all a bit on the slow side. Lots of skill, but a good team will just sit back and try to soak up their through balls.

Agreed, that's a big part of why I see him as competing with Buendia for a spot rather than Watkins.

I absolutely agree on the bold bit, but that's the problem, you need someone to do that job (unless you go full Pep).

Ignoring the kids and players who we're obviously trying to sell, we have 6 players for our front 3, Watkins, Ings, Bailey, Coutinho, Buendia and Traore and of those only Watkins is the sort to run in behind and create space, Bailey might be able to do it but it's not his natural game. I'd like 1 more out and out centre forward who can do the physical stuff, either through raw pace or by being a unit and dominating defenders and if we need to create space to allow for that then Ings and Traore are the options to go out. I like both of them though so I'd personally just add one on top, but that squeezes someone like Archer out and is why I'd let him out on loan again.

There's no perfect answer to this though, which is why I'm happy to trust Gerrards judgement on this one.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #369 on: July 04, 2022, 01:12:05 PM »
Agreed.  I'm slightly biased as I just think Ings is an excellent player and would love to see him be a success with us.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #370 on: July 23, 2022, 02:05:38 PM »
Still not working, Steven.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #371 on: July 23, 2022, 02:07:13 PM »
Could the vote include the option for neither?

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #372 on: July 23, 2022, 02:20:01 PM »

ha ha

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #373 on: July 23, 2022, 02:24:06 PM »
I did consider that option when I set the poll up but I think at the time they were the only 2 strikers we had as Davis was injured and Archer was only on the fringes.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #374 on: July 23, 2022, 03:16:38 PM »
That would get my vote.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal