collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Watkins, Ings, both or neither?  (Read 44588 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Watkins, Ings or both?
« Reply #135 on: December 15, 2021, 01:18:21 PM »
Ollie clearly does not relish going out wide.

Ings just looks a yard slow and out of place to me. I'd take our money back on him tomorrow.

I suppose we need to give him a proper chance under Gerrard, but in all honesty I agree with you. He looks old way beyond his years and plays like it too.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #136 on: December 15, 2021, 01:49:27 PM »
Watkins' goal came from starting in a wide position. I would imagine that Gerrard has said that starting wide doesn't seem to have done Mane and Salah any harm.

If Watkins can learn to be just as effective in either role, it's really going to benefit him. Both playing for us and when being considered as part of the England squad.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #137 on: December 15, 2021, 01:55:24 PM »
Watkins' goal came from starting in a wide position. I would imagine that Gerrard has said that starting wide doesn't seem to have done Mane and Salah any harm.

If Watkins can learn to be just as effective in either role, it's really going to benefit him. Both playing for us and when being considered as part of the England squad.

I think to do that Ollie is going to have to improve his general play a fair bit.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #138 on: December 15, 2021, 04:03:08 PM »

That's a very good point, if Ings had not been playing then Ollie would probably been central (where Ings was covering), and wouldn't have scored.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2021, 06:56:29 PM »
£25m on Danny on...what, £100K+ a week(?), does look a bit pants-pulled. And seems as if it was an appeasing the fans with the then imminent Grealish departure the same week but I was really excited at the time as I genuinely thought Dean had a plan for getting Watkins and Ings to thrive in the same team. Might still happen but...

Offline jwarry

« Reply #140 on: December 17, 2021, 12:04:19 PM »
£25m on Danny on...what, £100K+ a week(?), does look a bit pants-pulled. And seems as if it was an appeasing the fans with the then imminent Grealish departure the same week but I was really excited at the time as I genuinely thought Dean had a plan for getting Watkins and Ings to thrive in the same team. Might still happen but...

Just read an article that suggests he’s on £120k a week, by far and away our biggest earner as Tyrone is next on £80k with Ollie on £75k.  I really hope he doesn’t become a very expensive mistake….

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #141 on: December 17, 2021, 01:22:28 PM »
No wonder both Gerrard and Smith have been trying to find a spot for him in the team. He may turn it around yet but it's always a mistake when you sign someone and you're having to change what's worked previously in order to fit them in.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #142 on: December 18, 2021, 01:04:37 AM »
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him used in a make weight toe deal in the summer that suits all parties for a different type of forward.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #143 on: December 18, 2021, 04:00:42 AM »
We’ve cried out to have more quality options than just one striker since we got back up. Ings is a proven striker of quality that clubs higher up the league would happily take. His combination play is good, probably better than Watkins IMO. If they can’t find a way to play together then I think it’s a will not a skill issue. Gerrard needs to make it work. Having both such goal threats on the pitch would be a massive plus if we’re getting 30 premier league goals between them. With Traore, Bailey out, El Ghazi currently absent, now is the time to make it work.

Offline ez

« Reply #144 on: December 18, 2021, 07:02:48 AM »
Ollie clearly does not relish going out wide.

Ings just looks a yard slow and out of place to me. I'd take our money back on him tomorrow.

I suppose we need to give him a proper chance under Gerrard, but in all honesty I agree with you. He looks old way beyond his years and plays like it too.
He's starting to remind me of Cascarino. A  very one dimensional goal hanger and the wrong signing for us. I hope I'm wrong.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #145 on: December 18, 2021, 08:19:01 AM »
Just maybe Ings will go to Newcastle this window

Online dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #146 on: December 18, 2021, 12:53:14 PM »

50 million and we might start talking.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #147 on: December 18, 2021, 02:37:35 PM »
Looks like neither for the foreseeable.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #148 on: December 18, 2021, 03:57:04 PM »

No point him leaving next month. We're sending Davis finally out on loan, Wes I presume can't be recalled (and given he's barely starting in Belgium not going to make much impact in prem) and our other forwards like Traore and Bailey have been injured for 90% of the season.

He does look the wrong fit for us though so next summer will be interesting if we get some interest. Just the right signing at wrong time, he'd have been brilliant pick up in summer 2019 for example.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #149 on: December 18, 2021, 04:13:22 PM »
Watkins linked with moves again...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal