collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread  (Read 356527 times)

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread
« Reply #2310 on: January 26, 2022, 12:04:24 PM »
We have to be honest with ourselves and realise that we're not *yet* quite at the point of taking the very best players from elite Champions League teams. So like Coutinho, it's going to be a case of looking for somebody not currently in full favour with their team, but where we think there's the potential to get them back to their best.

Correct. Apart from our history, the Gerrard influence and the high earning potential we don't offer much else for ambitious players with no affinity to us or even the ones who supposedly have. 

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2311 on: January 26, 2022, 12:09:14 PM »
I suppose Juve would rather have gotten rid of Ramsey and/or McKennie but there doesn't seem to be many takers. And it sounds like they need to shift *someone* in order to pay for Vlahović. So perhaps this is another smart, opportunistic move by Villa.

Ramsey keeps rejecting moves.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2312 on: January 26, 2022, 12:11:19 PM »
I hope we keep all our Ramseys forever.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2313 on: January 26, 2022, 12:33:59 PM »
I suppose Juve would rather have gotten rid of Ramsey and/or McKennie but there doesn't seem to be many takers. And it sounds like they need to shift *someone* in order to pay for Vlahović. So perhaps this is another smart, opportunistic move by Villa.

He's rumoured to be on £400k a week, so no real surprise there.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #2314 on: January 26, 2022, 12:45:35 PM »

He's rumoured to be on £400k a week, so no real surprise there.

And given the moves have been to the likes of Burnley and Newcastle, I'm not sure I blame him.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2315 on: January 26, 2022, 12:50:28 PM »
We have to be honest with ourselves and realise that we're not *yet* quite at the point of taking the very best players from elite Champions League teams. So like Coutinho, it's going to be a case of looking for somebody not currently in full favour with their team, but where we think there's the potential to get them back to their best.

Correct. Apart from our history, the Gerrard influence and the high earning potential we don't offer much else for ambitious players with no affinity to us or even the ones who supposedly have. 

Watching a few videos of him, the lad loves a tackle. If he puts in those type of tackles at Villa Park he'll be a fans favourite. It's something we all appreciate, love to see and cheer. It's just the type of confidence boost he'll need.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2316 on: January 26, 2022, 12:56:18 PM »
Questions on DMs in general…

Do you have to be combative if you can time a tackle?

Do you have to be a closing down energetic “terrier” if you can read the game well and make interceptions?

Do you have to be a ball carrier if you can pick a pass?

If your opponent is using his body toshield the ball you can't always make a clean tackle.

Closing down is not always to do with closing down the ball.

A pass may not be always on, sometimes you have to make space by moving the ball yourself.

What if a "strong" player cannot tackle?

What if a player good at closing down has no awareness of space,

What if a good runner cannot pass?

I see a proper DM as needing to do 2 main jobs.

1. Shield the defence. This can be by being physically dominant, winning tackles, winning headers and generally being all actions or it can be by reading the game, cutting off angles for passes, channeling the opposition into areas we're happy for them to play, etc. Bentancur seems to be a decent balance between both of those but leaning more towards the latter.

2. Lead the 'transition'. This can be by quickly shifting the ball away from the 'hot' area with a short pass to a better placed player, by taking a touch and spraying cross-field passes to start counter-attacks or by driving out with the ball. The best players are good at all 3 and I think Bentancur has it in him to be that. For the price I think he'd be a very good option and he's at an age where we could expect him to improve quite quickly with good coaching.

If he adds goals, etc on to pthen great but just doing those 2 tasks well would improve us immensely.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2317 on: January 26, 2022, 12:56:41 PM »
Questions on DMs in general…

Do you have to be combative if you can time a tackle?

Do you have to be a closing down energetic “terrier” if you can read the game well and make interceptions?

Do you have to be a ball carrier if you can pick a pass?

Suppose there are different types of DMs.  I do think that it really depends on the way the team is set up and which league is being looked at.  I think slower paced leagues and international football might suit someone who can sit in there and intercept rather than cover a lot of ground, but I think the pace of the Premier League does require a much more energetic player in that role, especially if the player is in a holding role on their own. 

I think that our formation requires the outer central midfield players in the three to close down in wide areas so that does mean the holding player does have some more ground to cover and we probably need that extra athleticism in there.

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #2318 on: January 26, 2022, 01:02:04 PM »
You basically want Kante.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2319 on: January 26, 2022, 02:01:11 PM »

Think Bissouma would be ideal for what we need to be honest, but there are obvious issues with him.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2320 on: January 26, 2022, 02:01:46 PM »
I was informed this morning by a family member that we were in for a player called Beconase from Juventus

he might be good for easing congestion in the midfield and bringing some relief up top

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2321 on: January 26, 2022, 02:02:14 PM »

Kante was 24 when Leicester signed him.  I only mention that as I think DM is one of those positions where players can take a little longer to reach their peak, even if they have all the necessary attributes and skills.  Not always, but it's likely they can still improve significantly into their mid-twenties.  If the club have scouted him, done their analysis, and believe he can be an asset, then I trust them and look forward to his arrival!

As others have said, we're probably still a season or two from being able to buy the top players at their peak, but Bentancur has plenty of excellent top-level experience and has been a pretty regular starter for the team that dominated Italian football for three years after he arrived there.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2322 on: January 26, 2022, 03:21:51 PM »

Kante was 24 when Leicester signed him.  I only mention that as I think DM is one of those positions where players can take a little longer to reach their peak, even if they have all the necessary attributes and skills.  Not always, but it's likely they can still improve significantly into their mid-twenties.  If the club have scouted him, done their analysis, and believe he can be an asset, then I trust them and look forward to his arrival!

As others have said, we're probably still a season or two from being able to buy the top players at their peak, but Bentancur has plenty of excellent top-level experience and has been a pretty regular starter for the team that dominated Italian football for three years after he arrived there.

Yep, agree with that.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #2323 on: January 26, 2022, 03:34:40 PM »

Won the league twice with Boca Juniors as well I think (as a 17/18 year-old). Very impressive career so far.

Offline caster troy

« Reply #2324 on: January 26, 2022, 04:13:19 PM »
The fear is Bentancur would end up being another Jean II Makoun / Carlos Sanchez. Good on the continent but not up to the pace of English football. Presumably we went for Bissouma first as he would be less of a risk, but Brighton wanted too much for him.

Maybe it's just blind optimism but I just feel like these deals are going to start coming off for us now, and if you'd said to me back in September our January business would be Digne, Coutinho and Bentancur I would have fallen off my chair. Personally I hope it happens, he turns out to be the missing piece in the jigsaw and we win every game till the end of the season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal