collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Big Match Revisited  (Read 16539 times)

Offline AlexAlexCropley

Re: The Big Match Revisited
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2021, 09:20:56 AM »
Most intimidating experience of my life that day

Offline GXVilla

« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2021, 05:51:58 PM »
Horrible day. Thought we'd done enough to get a draw until the dodgy pen.
Definitely the most intimidating away day I've ever been on. Knew it would be as soon as I saw Police and stewards letting their fans into our end before kick off.
The one that got away as there were claret and blue ribbons on the FA cup that year.

Offline Dick Edwards

« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2021, 08:05:35 AM »
Yes, I was there that day and remember their fans being let in to our end, and without paying. There was an element of tension in the stand throughout the game but for someone who went away regularly at that time it wasn't too unusual. West Ham away was always one I attended with trepidation.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2021, 09:58:47 AM »
Upton Park was the most intimidating away ground for me. My first visit was in 1988 as a teenager and we drew 2-2. I think we had gone two up but me and my mate were late getting into the ground so we only saw the two West Ham goals. The following year we played them in a League Cup tie and I was late getting there and was locked out so I just had to wander around the surrounding area for the duration of the game, which wasn't much fun.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2021, 10:46:03 AM »
On now, or in a few minutes, Villa v Arsenal from November 1980.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2021, 07:38:01 PM »
Hold the front page!!

Gary Shaw had three shots in the second half and only one of them was on target!

At least the game is on film so people will have to believe this incredible occurence.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2021, 10:49:31 PM »
Gary Shaw certainly did not have his shooting boots on that day! 

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2021, 07:27:35 PM »
We don't seem to do the business on The Big Match revisited.  Orient/West Ham/Arsenal - we had some of our best results during the late 70's  midweek and the only media which seemed to show night games were BBC1

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2021, 06:41:14 PM »
Upton Park was the most intimidating away ground for me. My first visit was in 1988 as a teenager and we drew 2-2. I think we had gone two up but me and my mate were late getting into the ground so we only saw the two West Ham goals. The following year we played them in a League Cup tie and I was late getting there and was locked out so I just had to wander around the surrounding area for the duration of the game, which wasn't much fun.

That night was the closest I’ve ever come to a serious crush at a game. People were climbing up into the rafters to escape it, and many were forced onto the perimeter of the pitch. I dread to think what would have occurred if there had been fences.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2021, 07:36:22 PM »

That night was the closest I’ve ever come to a serious crush at a game. People were climbing up into the rafters to escape it, and many were forced onto the perimeter of the pitch. I dread to think what would have occurred if there had been fences.
League Cup quarter final in January 1989 - horrible night and a warning no-one heeded.

Online FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2021, 09:27:08 AM »
Made the journey home that night in a PFB rental van that some West Ham fans decided to make some minor adjustments to , whilst we were stuck in traffic after the game . These included nail holes in the side of the van and no headlamps , which made for an interesting journey back to Brum ,

Offline sid1964

« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2022, 12:10:51 PM »
Just watched us on the big match revisited lose to Spurs in our championship winning season

Good interviews after the game with Sid and Dennis

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2022, 08:12:20 PM »
Tonight they showed the goals from Leeds away in Dec. '76. The good guys won 3-1 with a brace from Andy Gray and the 3rd from Alex Cropley.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2022, 11:03:06 PM »
Brian got up really well to set Andy up for his first goal.

I'd forgotten that Jake Findlay and Charlie Young played in this game.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2022, 11:21:45 PM »
Brian got up really well to set Andy up for his first goal.

I'd forgotten that Jake Findlay and Charlie Young played in this game.

I remember Charlie Young also played in the 5-1 annihilation of Liverpool a few days later too. We were so dominant I can’t actually recall if Findlay was in goal.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal