collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Leon Bailey - signed  (Read 308999 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Leon Bailey - signed
« Reply #2160 on: January 15, 2023, 10:46:40 PM »
My original point Paul was that we need another wide option as we currently relying solely on Leon Bailey to do that.  He is playing for 90 minutes when he looks spent after 70 and we haven't got another option in the squad who play that role at the moment. 

I accept that it might be unfair to criticise when he has scored a great goal and played a part in a second, but a better player might have done that and not given the ball away as much, and might do it on a much more consistent basis. 

I have no problem with the original point and I agree we need another option but all i was saying is he did play well against Leeds and is a key reason why we got 3 points, and sometimes that enough when the role he's playing is to be the guy who makes a difference when it matters. So far this season he's 1 in 3 for goals and assists (and the 2nd goal on Friday doesn't go as an assist for him despite him clearly creating it) even with our awful start. Given he's always been a bit 'streaky' as a player I'd hope that we're due a run of form from him at some point so I don't think it's unfair to think he could end the season on 15ish goals and assists (6 in the league so far), and that would be a perfectly good return for him.

I get what you're saying about another player maybe offering as much and being more consistent but that player doesn't exist at the club right now and might take 2-3 windows/attempts to find so they're not really a fair benchmark for him right now. There's better options for every position on the pitch for us (except maybe in goal where we have a guy who is genuinely in the discussion as the best in his position in the world) but that doesn't stop our players from deserving credit when they have a good day.

Fair points Paul and I do accept that him playing on the right can hamper him as he hasnt really got a right foot.  The obvious benefit of him playing on the right is the ability to cut in and shoot with his left foot, which got us the two goals. 

I agree Paul that 15 goals would represent a very good return really.

I definitely prefer him on the left but, for whatever reason, that's not where he's being used. What I'd really liked to have seen though was him switching sides once Ings came on, I get the reasoning when it's Bailey and Watkins because we want to keep them out of eachs others space and Watkins clearly likes running the RB/RCB channel. Ings doesn't do that and would benefit from someone turning defenders and playing balls between the defence and keeper, which Bailey could do from the left, I think they'd both benefit from giving this a go next time they're together.

Having seen three games in quite a short space of time, it looks like we have begun to settle on a particular formation.  It's almost a variation of a 4-4-2, but whereas Bailey is out wide on the right, there isn't another wide player providing the same width on the left. 

The left channel is almost left clear for the full-back to push on into and seeing as we've signed someone like Moreno, I can only see that carrying on really.  So whereas I think Bailey might be better utilised on the left, I'm not sure we will see it happening.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #2161 on: January 15, 2023, 10:51:18 PM »
Yes, I think we only needed one experiment with Cash playing wide right.  It's a no from me.  Hopefully Danjuma can be done giving us options at the least.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2162 on: January 21, 2023, 01:07:17 PM »

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #2163 on: January 21, 2023, 02:01:08 PM »
Top man. There are a few people in this world who could learn something from this incredibly humble man.
We are lucky to have a very decent human being like Leon at our club.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #2164 on: January 21, 2023, 02:51:30 PM »
Top bloke. If he starts getting the knack to release the baller quicker then he'll be an elite player.

Edit: I take that back. He needs to learn a lot more than that, he was shite today.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 05:29:09 PM by edgysatsuma89 »

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #2165 on: January 24, 2023, 02:58:43 AM »
Top bloke. If he starts getting the knack to release the baller quicker then he'll be an elite player.

Edit: I take that back. He needs to learn a lot more than that, he was shite today.

He was, but your first point is pertinent. He was releasing the ball/making simple passes a lot more than usual. Evidence that he is actually being coached! 

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #2166 on: January 31, 2023, 02:24:48 PM »
LBs will  be utilsed as a forward and hope he's spent extra time on finishing as he gets into good opportunities.
Perhaps some more composure or something.
Quite feasibile be top scorer end of season.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2167 on: January 31, 2023, 05:32:36 PM »
Nah

Offline Aldridge Villa

« Reply #2168 on: February 04, 2023, 08:06:56 PM »
Another insipid display today. Unless he improves significantly between now and May fancy he’ll be a gonner come August.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2169 on: February 04, 2023, 08:10:09 PM »
Another insipid display today. Unless he improves significantly between now and May fancy he’ll be a gonner come August.

He did well in the build up to our opener, but other than that he did very little. He looks lost in a 4-4-2 and clearly isn't suited to being in the front two.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2170 on: February 04, 2023, 08:30:35 PM »

He did well in the build up to our opener, but other than that he did very little. He looks lost in a 4-4-2 and clearly isn't suited to being in the front two.

Sure he can't be trusted wide in a 4231 as he'll leave his full back high and dry without the ball. Starting to run out of excuses really, criminal lack of self belief seems to be the main problem.

Offline Risso

« Reply #2171 on: February 04, 2023, 08:54:57 PM »
Their lad Tete in one game showed more than Bailey has in ages to be honest, gave our defence a torrid time. I don't remember the last time Bailey did that. He's on "the list" for the summer in my opinion, along with Mings, Konsa, McGinn, Watkins and Cash.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #2172 on: February 04, 2023, 09:21:58 PM »
Their lad Tete in one game showed more than Bailey has in ages to be honest, gave our defence a torrid time. I don't remember the last time Bailey did that. He's on "the list" for the summer in my opinion, along with Mings, Konsa, McGinn, Watkins and Cash.

I agree with most of this especially regarding Bailey. Watkins did score two today though

Offline Risso

« Reply #2173 on: February 04, 2023, 09:34:03 PM »

I agree with most of this especially regarding Bailey. Watkins did score two today though

No he didn't. That ball was going nowhere near the goal until their defender deflected it in. Correctly given as an own goal.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #2174 on: February 04, 2023, 09:53:22 PM »
He's poor and should have been replaced in the window. Mistake.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal