collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Leon Bailey - signed  (Read 309440 times)

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Leon Bailey - signed
« Reply #2145 on: January 14, 2023, 11:36:13 PM »
Christian Benteke in his prime is one of my most treasured Villa memories from a long lifetime of being a Villa fan.

Agree
Benteke in his prime for us is possibly the best Centre Forward I’ve seen at Villa

He’d be fighting that out with Keith Leonard and Andy Gray

Yep Benteke burned bright for a short time, but in that time he was incredible.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2146 on: January 14, 2023, 11:39:03 PM »
Christian Benteke in his prime is one of my most treasured Villa memories from a long lifetime of being a Villa fan.

Agree
Benteke in his prime for us is possibly the best Centre Forward I’ve seen at Villa

Three seasons is hardly a short time. Andy Gray was here for not much longer.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2147 on: January 14, 2023, 11:45:00 PM »

Agree

Three seasons is hardly a short time. Andy Gray was here for not much longer.

Yeah that’s fair, I meant more in the context of his career.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2148 on: January 14, 2023, 11:46:49 PM »

Totally agree.

The most complete all-round performance from a Villa centre-forward I've ever seen was his hat-trick against QPR.

And especially that free kick. When it happened. How critical it was from a player who didn’t really take them to give us a critical point we had all but conceded.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2149 on: January 15, 2023, 11:11:52 AM »
Wasn't it his performance at Anfield when we won 3-1 just before Xmas 2012 (and just before our horrific month of results) where he ripped Liverpool apart, that announced his prowess?

Yes, and it was a few days after the Norwich game I mentioned.

I can well remember both me a Brian Green on here after the Norwich game saying he's the real deal.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2150 on: January 15, 2023, 05:58:49 PM »
Yeah we wouldn't want to rely on the player who scored one and assisted the other, that would be daft.

He tries stuff, he's exciting to watch and then he'll maybe go too far or hold it too long. I like.

He's the only proper wide player we currently have and is visibly blowing out of his arse after 70 minutes.  If we are going to continue to play with the current formation, we surely need at least another option for that position don't we?
He was good last night. My only issue with him is his reluctance to release the ball after he’s beaten the 2nd player when the opportunity presents itself as was the case last night on a few occasions. Can’t knock his overall contribution to the win though. It was crucial.

Have to disagree Bren.  It's a tough one because he has ultimately scored a goal and played a part in the other, but he continues to give the ball away far too often and make really poor decisions which stunt our attacking play.

He's not the only one like that and if we are going to move on we are going to need better options in certain areas.

If he gets it right a couple of times a game and that leads to 2 goals then I'm happy with him, every team outside the top handful in Europe can carry a maverick who's only job is to create a few key moments every game, it is really frustrating though.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2151 on: January 15, 2023, 06:47:06 PM »
Yeah we wouldn't want to rely on the player who scored one and assisted the other, that would be daft.

He tries stuff, he's exciting to watch and then he'll maybe go too far or hold it too long. I like.

He's the only proper wide player we currently have and is visibly blowing out of his arse after 70 minutes.  If we are going to continue to play with the current formation, we surely need at least another option for that position don't we?
He was good last night. My only issue with him is his reluctance to release the ball after he’s beaten the 2nd player when the opportunity presents itself as was the case last night on a few occasions. Can’t knock his overall contribution to the win though. It was crucial.

Have to disagree Bren.  It's a tough one because he has ultimately scored a goal and played a part in the other, but he continues to give the ball away far too often and make really poor decisions which stunt our attacking play.

He's not the only one like that and if we are going to move on we are going to need better options in certain areas.

If he gets it right a couple of times a game and that leads to 2 goals then I'm happy with him, every team outside the top handful in Europe can carry a maverick who's only job is to create a few key moments every game, it is really frustrating though.

If a player does it pretty much every game then maybe so Paul, but how many goals has Leon Bailey scored in the 1 and a half seasons he has been with us?

He certainly has got talent and I think he could be a decent squad option, but I think we could do with a better and more consistent player in that position
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 06:49:51 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #2152 on: January 15, 2023, 07:33:41 PM »

If a player does it pretty much every game then maybe so Paul, but how many goals has Leon Bailey scored in the 1 and a half seasons he has been with us?

He certainly has got talent and I think he could be a decent squad option, but I think we could do with a better and more consistent player in that position

If, fingers crossed they finally drop, Demarai Gray?

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2153 on: January 15, 2023, 08:03:48 PM »

Well, yeah, that's what I said. You disagreed with someone who, effectively, said his contribution against Leeds was crucial and said, what I took to be, that even though he scored 1 and made another it still wasn'ty good enough because other times he gave the ball away. I replied because I thought that was unfair in relation to that single match and that I don't care if he gives the ball away more than we like if the times he doesn't give it away lead to goals, assists or chances because having 1 player like that in the team/squad is fine.

Overall he hasn't done enough so far, I don't think anyone disagrees with that, but to complain about his contribution in a game where he was key to both of our goals in a 2-1 win seems unfair.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #2154 on: January 15, 2023, 08:07:37 PM »
Wasn't it his performance at Anfield when we won 3-1 just before Xmas 2012 (and just before our horrific month of results) where he ripped Liverpool apart, that announced his prowess?

I can well remember both me a Brian Green on here after the Norwich game saying he's the real deal.

49 goals in 101 games isn't too shabby.  Especially as we were mostly poor in those days.  A player like him now would do us the world of good.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2155 on: January 15, 2023, 08:35:59 PM »

Well, yeah, that's what I said. You disagreed with someone who, effectively, said his contribution against Leeds was crucial and said, what I took to be, that even though he scored 1 and made another it still wasn'ty good enough because other times he gave the ball away. I replied because I thought that was unfair in relation to that single match and that I don't care if he gives the ball away more than we like if the times he doesn't give it away lead to goals, assists or chances because having 1 player like that in the team/squad is fine.

Overall he hasn't done enough so far, I don't think anyone disagrees with that, but to complain about his contribution in a game where he was key to both of our goals in a 2-1 win seems unfair.

My original point Paul was that we need another wide option as we currently relying solely on Leon Bailey to do that.  He is playing for 90 minutes when he looks spent after 70 and we haven't got another option in the squad who play that role at the moment. 

I accept that it might be unfair to criticise when he has scored a great goal and played a part in a second, but a better player might have done that and not given the ball away as much, and might do it on a much more consistent basis. 

Online Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #2156 on: January 15, 2023, 09:00:59 PM »

49 goals in 101 games isn't too shabby.  Especially as we were mostly poor in those days.  A player like him now would do us the world of good.

Describing Macron era Villa as mostly poor is very generous. It was horrific. Horrible, horrible time.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2157 on: January 15, 2023, 09:39:03 PM »
My original point Paul was that we need another wide option as we currently relying solely on Leon Bailey to do that.  He is playing for 90 minutes when he looks spent after 70 and we haven't got another option in the squad who play that role at the moment. 

I accept that it might be unfair to criticise when he has scored a great goal and played a part in a second, but a better player might have done that and not given the ball away as much, and might do it on a much more consistent basis. 

I have no problem with the original point and I agree we need another option but all i was saying is he did play well against Leeds and is a key reason why we got 3 points, and sometimes that enough when the role he's playing is to be the guy who makes a difference when it matters. So far this season he's 1 in 3 for goals and assists (and the 2nd goal on Friday doesn't go as an assist for him despite him clearly creating it) even with our awful start. Given he's always been a bit 'streaky' as a player I'd hope that we're due a run of form from him at some point so I don't think it's unfair to think he could end the season on 15ish goals and assists (6 in the league so far), and that would be a perfectly good return for him.

I get what you're saying about another player maybe offering as much and being more consistent but that player doesn't exist at the club right now and might take 2-3 windows/attempts to find so they're not really a fair benchmark for him right now. There's better options for every position on the pitch for us (except maybe in goal where we have a guy who is genuinely in the discussion as the best in his position in the world) but that doesn't stop our players from deserving credit when they have a good day.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2158 on: January 15, 2023, 10:05:31 PM »

I have no problem with the original point and I agree we need another option but all i was saying is he did play well against Leeds and is a key reason why we got 3 points, and sometimes that enough when the role he's playing is to be the guy who makes a difference when it matters. So far this season he's 1 in 3 for goals and assists (and the 2nd goal on Friday doesn't go as an assist for him despite him clearly creating it) even with our awful start. Given he's always been a bit 'streaky' as a player I'd hope that we're due a run of form from him at some point so I don't think it's unfair to think he could end the season on 15ish goals and assists (6 in the league so far), and that would be a perfectly good return for him.

I get what you're saying about another player maybe offering as much and being more consistent but that player doesn't exist at the club right now and might take 2-3 windows/attempts to find so they're not really a fair benchmark for him right now. There's better options for every position on the pitch for us (except maybe in goal where we have a guy who is genuinely in the discussion as the best in his position in the world) but that doesn't stop our players from deserving credit when they have a good day.

Fair points Paul and I do accept that him playing on the right can hamper him as he hasnt really got a right foot.  The obvious benefit of him playing on the right is the ability to cut in and shoot with his left foot, which got us the two goals. 

I agree Paul that 15 goals would represent a very good return really.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2159 on: January 15, 2023, 10:18:35 PM »

Fair points Paul and I do accept that him playing on the right can hamper him as he hasnt really got a right foot.  The obvious benefit of him playing on the right is the ability to cut in and shoot with his left foot, which got us the two goals. 

I agree Paul that 15 goals would represent a very good return really.

I definitely prefer him on the left but, for whatever reason, that's not where he's being used. What I'd really liked to have seen though was him switching sides once Ings came on, I get the reasoning when it's Bailey and Watkins because we want to keep them out of eachs others space and Watkins clearly likes running the RB/RCB channel. Ings doesn't do that and would benefit from someone turning defenders and playing balls between the defence and keeper, which Bailey could do from the left, I think they'd both benefit from giving this a go next time they're together.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal