collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by manic-road
[Today at 08:47:07 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 08:29:45 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:28:13 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by N'ZMAV
[Today at 08:20:02 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by RamboandBruno
[Today at 08:13:06 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 08:11:19 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 08:06:29 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Godfrey Brian
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Leon Bailey - signed  (Read 318796 times)

Offline Mellin

Re: Leon Bailey - signed
« Reply #2130 on: January 14, 2023, 02:07:48 PM »
Didn't Benteke hit the gound running? That's how I remember it. Not that my memory should be in any way relied on.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #2131 on: January 14, 2023, 02:13:57 PM »
Didn't Benteke hit the gound running? That's how I remember it. Not that my memory should be in any way relied on.

Scores on his debut and then missed a good few sitters. I think people queries why Bent was getting in ahead of him. Came really good around the February of that season, I think, as did Delph

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2132 on: January 14, 2023, 05:19:54 PM »

Scores on his debut and then missed a good few sitters. I think people queries why Bent was getting in ahead of him. Came really good around the February of that season, I think, as did Delph

Bent got injured early in the League Cup game at Norwich and it went from there.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2133 on: January 14, 2023, 05:51:56 PM »
Benteke was panned by loads on here and elsewhere, called things like donkey, useless etc. And the oft repeated "Bent would have scored that". It was the Albion away game in Jan where everything clicked for him. Before then there were a number of glimpses of his ability but nothing consistent.

Online N'ZMAV

« Reply #2134 on: January 14, 2023, 06:12:55 PM »
we was a pretty poor side until the later part of that season, which didn't help him.

Online Olof's Beard

« Reply #2135 on: January 14, 2023, 08:30:50 PM »
we was a pretty poor side until the later part of that season, which didn't help him.

That's a bit chicken and egg I think. Benteke being much better made the team much better.

He definitely didn't click until the new year, once he got on a roll he was always hard to stop. At least while he was with us.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2136 on: January 14, 2023, 09:09:08 PM »
Christian Benteke in his prime is one of my most treasured Villa memories from a long lifetime of being a Villa fan.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2137 on: January 14, 2023, 10:53:32 PM »
Yeah we wouldn't want to rely on the player who scored one and assisted the other, that would be daft.

He tries stuff, he's exciting to watch and then he'll maybe go too far or hold it too long. I like.

He's the only proper wide player we currently have and is visibly blowing out of his arse after 70 minutes.  If we are going to continue to play with the current formation, we surely need at least another option for that position don't we?

Online RichardBatchelor

« Reply #2138 on: January 14, 2023, 10:54:58 PM »
Christian Benteke in his prime is one of my most treasured Villa memories from a long lifetime of being a Villa fan.

Totally agree.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2139 on: January 14, 2023, 11:04:57 PM »
Wasn't it his performance at Anfield when we won 3-1 just before Xmas 2012 (and just before our horrific month of results) where he ripped Liverpool apart, that announced his prowess?

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2140 on: January 14, 2023, 11:07:24 PM »
Yeah we wouldn't want to rely on the player who scored one and assisted the other, that would be daft.

He tries stuff, he's exciting to watch and then he'll maybe go too far or hold it too long. I like.

He's the only proper wide player we currently have and is visibly blowing out of his arse after 70 minutes.  If we are going to continue to play with the current formation, we surely need at least another option for that position don't we?
He was good last night. My only issue with him is his reluctance to release the ball after he’s beaten the 2nd player when the opportunity presents itself as was the case last night on a few occasions. Can’t knock his overall contribution to the win though. It was crucial.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2141 on: January 14, 2023, 11:11:13 PM »

Totally agree.

The most complete all-round performance from a Villa centre-forward I've ever seen was his hat-trick against QPR.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2142 on: January 14, 2023, 11:17:31 PM »

He was good last night. My only issue with him is his reluctance to release the ball after he’s beaten the 2nd player when the opportunity presents itself as was the case last night on a few occasions. Can’t knock his overall contribution to the win though. It was crucial.

Have to disagree Bren.  It's a tough one because he has ultimately scored a goal and played a part in the other, but he continues to give the ball away far too often and make really poor decisions which stunt our attacking play.

He's not the only one like that and if we are going to move on we are going to need better options in certain areas.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 11:33:18 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline nigel

« Reply #2143 on: January 14, 2023, 11:28:57 PM »

Agree
Benteke in his prime for us is possibly the best Centre Forward I’ve seen at Villa

He’d be fighting that out with Keith Leonard and Andy Gray

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2144 on: January 14, 2023, 11:34:02 PM »

Agree
Benteke in his prime for us is possibly the best Centre Forward I’ve seen at Villa

He’d be fighting that out with Keith Leonard and Andy Gray

Yorke in the couple of seasons before he left would have to be in the mix.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal