collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Leon Bailey - signed  (Read 323434 times)

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Re: Leon Bailey - signed
« Reply #2115 on: January 13, 2023, 10:15:58 PM »
The class is there. If Unai can harness it correctly (i.e. cutting out the sloppiness closer to our box) then he'll be a major asset. We'd be in a much poorer position without the points he's got us so far this season.

I think you're right Ger.  If Bailey had a brain, he'd be a hell of a player.  Constantly over-runs the ball and takes the wrong choices but when he does the right, and usually, the simple thing, he can be brilliant.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2116 on: January 13, 2023, 10:50:36 PM »
Such an infuriating player. Great goal tonight, and some good play, but also so many times on the break he slows up and runs into a defender, losing the ball.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #2117 on: January 13, 2023, 10:56:53 PM »
Thats because he is so one footed, defenders know he will always turn on to his left. He was our best outlet tonight.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #2118 on: January 13, 2023, 10:58:52 PM »
Such an infuriating player. Great goal tonight, and some good play, but also so many times on the break he slows up and runs into a defender, losing the ball.
Exactly. He obviously had a big hand in why we won,  but on several occasions he was unnecessarily wasteful and makes poor decisions when he has more time.

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2119 on: January 13, 2023, 11:20:01 PM »
Great strike which is what he needed after the last few weeks. Four goals all at the Holte End this season so he likes us playing towards the Holte first half.

After that I largely agree with what's been said above. He showed some terrific skill at times to come inside and beat two players. That's when you need to look up and actually pass the ball as it's pretty logical they'll be acres of space for other players to run into and have chances at goal.

Instead he tried to beat a third defender and pretty much every time lost the ball.

Also too slow to get back the other way and help out Young who was left one v one too often for my liking tonight.

Still 4 goals in about 15 games isn't that bad a return this season so it's something to build on.

Offline Aldridge Villa

« Reply #2120 on: January 13, 2023, 11:25:06 PM »
Bang on average for all to see. Well taken goal mind.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2121 on: January 13, 2023, 11:30:12 PM »
Exactly. He obviously had a big hand in why we won,  but on several occasions he was unnecessarily wasteful and makes poor decisions when he has more time.

The one that frustrated me was about midway through the 2nd half where the ball bounced for him to chase and he burned the defender, got to the ball with space and then slowed down to dribble past the defender that wouldn't have got anywhere near him if he'd just knocked the ball into space and ran onto it. He definitely has the pace to really hurt teams but seems to not want to use it, it's really frustrating.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2122 on: January 13, 2023, 11:56:08 PM »

The one that frustrated me was about midway through the 2nd half where the ball bounced for him to chase and he burned the defender, got to the ball with space and then slowed down to dribble past the defender that wouldn't have got anywhere near him if he'd just knocked the ball into space and ran onto it. He definitely has the pace to really hurt teams but seems to not want to use it, it's really frustrating.

That's the episode I was thinking of as well.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #2123 on: January 14, 2023, 12:45:57 AM »
Those injuries still causing him to hold back on sprinting a bit? You’re right, he seems to hold back sometimes right at the moment you’re expecting him to kick on.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2124 on: January 14, 2023, 01:30:27 AM »
He even tried to cross with his right foot a couple of times, I was almost prouder of him for that than his goal and assist!

Online tomd2103

« Reply #2125 on: January 14, 2023, 01:59:24 AM »

It's happening every game.  It was a great finish earlier, but he is so wasteful.  We really need to bring in another option so we're not so reliant on him.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2126 on: January 14, 2023, 08:18:27 AM »
Yeah we wouldn't want to rely on the player who scored one and assisted the other, that would be daft.

He tries stuff, he's exciting to watch and then he'll maybe go too far or hold it too long. I like.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2127 on: January 14, 2023, 10:33:38 AM »
When he's got his boots on that left foot is fucking dynamite.

He's frustrating, yes, but the pay off is that if he cuts in and gets sight, you're in trouble.

We have the best manager possible in charge to chip off the rough edges and turn him into a ruthless assassin.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2128 on: January 14, 2023, 01:23:42 PM »
I don’t think he will be first choice long term as he’s not consistent enough. Unless he improves of course which could happen as he’s still young but he doesn’t strike me as that kind of player. He’s streaky and will have moments of brilliance combined with one’s that make you got nuts. That said if he can level out his overall performances he will be great to have in the squad, play vs certain opponents and bring on vs tiring opponents. We are going to play more games overall as we improve, and hopefully European football. We will need a deeper squad.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #2129 on: January 14, 2023, 01:49:10 PM »
Before Emery came Bailey had a very stop start villa career with injuries and being in and out of the team. I sort of think Emery has decided to persevere with Bailey to see how the situation develops.

Sometimes we write players off quickly. Benteke and Delph are two players who came really good after being given a run of 7 or 8 games despite inconsistent form. Maybe it will click for Bailey at some stage. if not, at least he has been playing and might get himself in the shop window rather than being another big transfer flop.

Good management.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal