collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Calum Chambers -signed by tomd2103
[Today at 12:44:09 AM]

Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Champions League Contention by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:25:38 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:47 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:05:56 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[April 29, 2024, 11:45:39 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by DrGonzo
[April 29, 2024, 10:59:54 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by tomd2103
[Today at 12:44:09 AM]

Re: Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:37:42 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by villadelph
[Today at 12:33:50 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:25:38 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:24:53 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:14:40 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1126343 times)

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #9030 on: August 27, 2021, 10:43:24 PM »
Axel Witsel seems to be incoming.

According to whom? He played ninety minutes for Dortmund two hours ago, which suggests it's not completely imminent.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #9031 on: August 27, 2021, 10:45:43 PM »
Axel Witsel seems to be incoming.

According to whom? He played ninety minutes for Dortmund two hours ago, which suggests it's not completely imminent.

And is on 140k a week. And wanted by Mourinho at Roma. Its just not happening.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #9032 on: August 27, 2021, 10:46:33 PM »
As much as I dislike them, spuds and levy have played a blinder in the whole kane situation showing they are not a feeder club unlike ourselves. Our naivity never fails to disappoint. If there was a clause regarding grealish which allowed him to talk to sh-tty, that still didn't mean we had to sell

It did! It's exactly what it means. There was a clause in his contract that states if someone meets a certain price, in his case £100m, we are obliged to inform him of it and allow him to talk to them.

It's like being stuck on a merry-go-round on here sometimes.

It's interesting you state "we are obliged to inform him of it (the offer) and allow him to talk to them" but side-stepped the issue of when to sell. Aug 31st would have been time enough for me to disrupt dipstick and man
sh-tty, as we've been disrupted. I get that it was dipstick's decision to go once the clause had been activated and neglected to make this clear on my original post, but managing it was down to our owners and making parties wait would have been my preferred route. I guess most if not all on here are on a merry-go-round judging by contributions and as I've contributed little on this thread I'm certainly entitled to my opinion.

I personally think this is not as clear as appears.

Luis Suarez had a release clause in his Liverpool contract of £40m and Arsenal bid a quid over it in 2014. Despite this, Liverpool refused to do business. 6 months later, they sold him to Barcelona for £75m.

Maybe Barnett negotiated a tighter contract for his client then Suarez's did as things have moved on since 2014? But as a gut feeling, I'm not so sure the owners were as sad to see Joe leave as some may think. 

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #9033 on: August 27, 2021, 10:54:35 PM »
I think the problem is we've signed loads of midfielders so not unreasonable for Lange or perhaps even the owners to say to DS, hang on you signed Sanson for 18m just in January so get him fit and in the team.

Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment.
Is Dean Smith in charge of recruiting?

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9034 on: August 27, 2021, 10:59:59 PM »
I think I speak for myself and Sexual Ealing when I say what the hell is Dean playing at, hurry up and sign someone.

Offline ldavfc4eva

« Reply #9035 on: August 27, 2021, 11:00:28 PM »
Sissoko at £2.5m is a bargain, missed out there I think

I don’t want loads of ageing players but he would have been decent.

If Witsel is available then for around the £5m being mentioned he would improve us in the short term (2 years) right away,

Offline Meanwood Villa

« Reply #9036 on: August 27, 2021, 11:02:44 PM »
Sissoko has about one good game a season. Bullet dodged

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #9037 on: August 27, 2021, 11:06:47 PM »
As much as I dislike them, spuds and levy have played a blinder in the whole kane situation showing they are not a feeder club unlike ourselves. Our naivity never fails to disappoint. If there was a clause regarding grealish which allowed him to talk to sh-tty, that still didn't mean we had to sell

It did! It's exactly what it means. There was a clause in his contract that states if someone meets a certain price, in his case £100m, we are obliged to inform him of it and allow him to talk to them.

It's interesting you state "we are obliged to inform him of it (the offer) and allow him to talk to them" but side-stepped the issue of when to sell. Aug 31st would have been time enough for me to disrupt dipstick and man
sh-tty, as we've been disrupted. I get that it was dipstick's decision to go once the clause had been activated and neglected to make this clear on my original post, but managing it was down to our owners and making parties wait would have been my preferred route. I guess most if not all on here are on a merry-go-round judging by contributions and as I've contributed little on this thread I'm certainly entitled to my opinion.

Luis Suarez had a release clause in his Liverpool contract of £40m and Arsenal bid a quid over it in 2014. Despite this, Liverpool refused to do business. 6 months later, they sold him to Barcelona for £75m.

Maybe Barnett negotiated a tighter contract for his client then Suarez's did as things have moved on since 2014? But as a gut feeling, I'm not so sure the owners were as sad to see Joe leave as some may think. 

Why is your gut feeling more valuable than the words spoken by the actual CEO?

Offline LeonW

« Reply #9038 on: August 27, 2021, 11:33:52 PM »

Why is your gut feeling more valuable than the words spoken by the actual CEO?

Never said it was. It's certainly more difficult to build a project around a player you think may leave each summer. And the club seem to have always had it in mind that JG would leave. The signings made, the relative speed of them and the explanation given for each suggest that they've been planning for life without for him for some time. JG going simplifies things as they won't have to plan for a potential departure every transfer window. 

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #9039 on: August 28, 2021, 12:11:46 AM »
He did miss half the season through injury and we saw our creativity drop off. Seems perfectly sensible to sign players so that we wouldn't be so reliant on him, even if he had stayed.

Between his recurring shin issues and his off the field antics, I'm sure seeing £100m coming in they could see the upside.

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #9040 on: August 28, 2021, 05:46:15 AM »
I think I speak for myself and Sexual Ealing when I say what the hell is Dean playing at, hurry up and sign someone.

I also think Dean should pull his finger out and get to work building the new North Stand.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #9041 on: August 28, 2021, 07:12:08 AM »
Thing is, a DM is not an expensive purchase IMO unless you're aiming for a Rice or a Kante. All you need is to be able to win the ball, keep it and pass it. Nakamba does the first bit ok, the 2nd and 3rd bits not so much, but you should be able to get someone who does that reasonably well without paying 30m especially when you can get 3/4 years out of a 29 year old. I still think someone will come in, but if not then I don't think Smith think it's essential or he thinks Luis can do it. I think he's wrong because he's underestimated how much pressure ratboy took off the midfield but there you go.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #9042 on: August 28, 2021, 07:37:09 AM »
I assume we have an FFP problem with no more incomings and a yawning chasm in defensive midfield. The squad is good enough for 12-9th midtable, which isn't bad. However, it's not capable of the apparent stated aim of European qualification.

It's disappointing that the impetus isn't there this season to try and push on.

Offline stubbsyandy

« Reply #9043 on: August 28, 2021, 07:44:54 AM »

I also think Dean should pull his finger out and get to work building the new North Stand.

🤣

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #9044 on: August 28, 2021, 07:54:43 AM »
I assume we have an FFP problem with no more incomings and a yawning chasm in defensive midfield. The squad is good enough for 12-9th midtable, which isn't bad. However, it's not capable of the apparent stated aim of European qualification.

It's disappointing that the impetus isn't there this season to try and push on.

I just can't see FFP being the issue. We've got a huge boost to profit from the fact that all of Greasy's transfer fee is pure profit, whereas the players we've bought will all be amortised over the coming years. Then we were supposedly offering him a huge new deal, which you would think wouldn't be a million miles from what we're paying his replacements.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal