collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:07:58 PM]

FFP by ChicagoLion
[Today at 07:06:23 PM]

Calum Chambers -signed by django
[Today at 07:06:09 PM]

MOTD by danno
[Today at 07:03:54 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Footy-Vill
[Today at 07:01:51 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:55:23 PM]

Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 06:17:18 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:07:58 PM]

Re: FFP by ChicagoLion
[Today at 07:06:23 PM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by django
[Today at 07:06:09 PM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 07:06:02 PM]

Re: MOTD by danno
[Today at 07:03:54 PM]

Re: FFP by Dave
[Today at 07:03:07 PM]

Re: FFP by Villatillidie25
[Today at 07:02:51 PM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Footy-Vill
[Today at 07:01:51 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1126169 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #9015 on: August 27, 2021, 09:46:14 PM »
I think the problem is we've signed loads of midfielders so not unreasonable for Lange or perhaps even the owners to say to DS, hang on you signed Sanson for 18m just in January so get him fit and in the team.

Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment Dean Smith isn't in charge of recruitment.

Brilliant.
There is also the possibility that targets aren't available or players need to leave before anymore are signed.

Why would players have to leave first? That’s just excuse making for mediocrity in my opinion.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #9016 on: August 27, 2021, 09:48:23 PM »
A player has left. There's money available.

Also, Smith isn't 'in charge' of recruitment like an old school manager, but he has a strong influence by all accounts.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9017 on: August 27, 2021, 09:49:40 PM »

Also, Smith isn't 'in charge' of recruitment like an old school manager, but he has a strong influence by all accounts.

Which accounts are these?

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #9018 on: August 27, 2021, 09:54:24 PM »

It would be a rather odd coincidence for us to end up with Konsa and Watkins from his former club if he had literally nothing to do with it.

Not impossible. Just odd.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #9019 on: August 27, 2021, 09:56:29 PM »

It would be a rather odd coincidence for us to end up with Konsa and Watkins from his former club if he had literally nothing to do with it.

I didn't say he had nothing to do with it. I was replying to SHQ, who implied that Lange would be holding DS to account about signings. Lange ultimately carries the can for signings.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #9020 on: August 27, 2021, 09:57:03 PM »
Our midfield is gonna bite Dean in the ass if we don’t bring one more in.
If we lose McGinn or even Luiz for a while then the next in line is beyond poor. Sanson is never fit let alone how they are so confident he can even do it in the prem. Then we have Nakamba (terrible) and kids.
The quality depth is awful.

Smith claimed the club had been scouting Sanson for quite some time last January..it's starting to sound a bit like Bruce and Scott Hogan at this stage...hardly a peep about how his recovery is going. In any case Sanson isn't the genuine number 6 we need and I don't think Smith has ever been clear on what midfield setup he wants in there.

Online Dave

« Reply #9021 on: August 27, 2021, 10:02:54 PM »

I didn't say he had nothing to do with it. I was replying to SHQ, who implied that Lange would be holding DS to account about signings. Lange ultimately carries the can for signings.

Sure. But given we've spend at least forty or so million pounds on players who (logic would suggest) were more at the behest of Smith than Lange or his predecessor, Smith having a "strong influence" on transfers isn't really an outlandish suggestion.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #9022 on: August 27, 2021, 10:05:52 PM »
In the Pitarch days, I think it was really easy to spot the Smith signings, and the Suso signings. It’s also very obvious why only one of those men is still in a job.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #9023 on: August 27, 2021, 10:08:21 PM »
No, it's not. But somebody else ultimately has the responsibility.

I had a meeting with a potential client today,where I made a recommendation. She said, "really?!" and I replied, "yes. But I would say that. It's your company. You have to decide."

Same thing*.

*To a degree!

Edit: I was replying to Dave!

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #9024 on: August 27, 2021, 10:21:44 PM »
Percy, Gregggggg Evans, etc. Lange is head of recruitment, but they do also rely on Smith's assessment of the team's strengths and weaknesses to a large degree.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #9025 on: August 27, 2021, 10:28:00 PM »
Dean Smith is absolutely in charge of which players he wants.  Lange is in charge of signing them and all recruitment.  Dean Smith says, I want so and so, Lange is then charged with getting him in.  There is no way that Dean Smith did not select the likes of Konsa, Buendia, Mings, Cash, Watkins or Ings.  He needed help from Pitarch when we first came back up, which is why we signed some crap, with Pitarch paying for it with his job.  Smith may not want to sign all of the players we have brought in but he has a real healthy say in who does come in.

Online Dave

« Reply #9026 on: August 27, 2021, 10:32:43 PM »
Percy, Gregggggg Evans, etc. Lange is head of recruitment, but they do also rely on Smith's assessment of the team's strengths and weaknesses to a large degree.

You'd kind of hope that's how it should be. If he had no input at all on (at the very least) the type of player he feels the team needs then he might as well not be there.

If he's worked out a world beating 3-5-2 plan and Lange keeps bringing him defensive full backs, then things aren't really working as they should.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #9027 on: August 27, 2021, 10:33:05 PM »
I see Watford signed Sissoko from Spurs today.  We could have done with him for a season.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #9028 on: August 27, 2021, 10:39:29 PM »
Axel Witsel seems to be incoming.   

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #9029 on: August 27, 2021, 10:39:29 PM »

You'd kind of hope that's how it should be. If he had no input at all on (at the very least) the type of player he feels the team needs then he might as well not be there.

If he's worked out a world beating 3-5-2 plan and Lange keeps bringing him defensive full backs, then things aren't really working as they should.

Nobody has suggested that that's how it works.

And, also, Dean is a good and decent man who would never recommend a 3-5-2 as a permanent solution to anything other than the result of a dog race.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal