collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1109250 times)

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #5775 on: July 31, 2021, 10:25:38 AM »
We've done what every promoted team hopes for - safety and then consolidation - probably beaten expectations.

The owners have also spent more than most teams in the whole of European football.

It's time to give them some slack. I'm sure we'll have some bloody good players coming in.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #5776 on: July 31, 2021, 10:25:59 AM »
It's just, fuck me, what are we paying the scouts for? Have we really scoured the world and concluded that Brentford and Norwich are the only places to find talent? Nothing against Sarr or Cantwell, but if Jack goes we'll need to go all out to replace him well enough to attack that vulnerable top 6-8 this season, and we'd have the resources to do it. Instead, 'let's consolidate midtable'? If this is our idea of replacing him, frankly no wonder Jack's leaving.

So the scouting system is not working because we've signed a player from Norwich? Jesus, what's the matter with people.

If you buy one player from Norwich, that's one thing. If you buy two, basically hoping their Championship attack will get you top 6, you're either very lucky or you haven't been perspicacious enough.
I guess like that time we were promoted with Mings, Grealish and McGinn in the side. Or we signed Watkins & Konsa from Brentford. Ridiculous to think that a Championship side might have more than one half decent player.

Mings who we signed from the Premier League?

And obviously there are good players down there, I'm saying that I find the near-exclusive focus on it incredibly limited and limiting. For years we wondered why other clubs signed a Watkins and we missed out, and it's good we don't anymore, but I still wonder why other clubs sign quality from abroad at lower cost than English-based players and we don't. I think looking to the Championship to replace the Jack-shaped hole in our team is to me thoroughly underwhelming. Mid-table thinking, in my view.

I should say Leon Bailey does look a very exciting signing, and I'm very happy to see it attempted. It just makes the relentless Eng-ger-land focus elsewhere all the more baffling.

Clampy, it's who John Percy said our targets are. And also, are we trying to sign Ward-Prowse? £25m is a bid nobody could possibly believe would be expected. Either someone's not living in the real world or they thought insulting Southampton of a Friday sounded fun.

And by the way, why this assumption that criticising something isn't calm? I'm having a lovely morning, I just don't like the reports about my football team. I'm not the one who responded to a disagreement with a 'Jesus, what's the matter with people', making it personal. Maybe you should calm down about reading different opinions, might have to get used to it on the internet.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #5777 on: July 31, 2021, 10:28:46 AM »
I've lost all interest really. It's a bit like looking for an expensive upgrade on your suspension when you've just sold your engine. Cantwell no. He'd get slaughtered, he even looks like Jack. Need to change everything around formation wise imo

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #5778 on: July 31, 2021, 10:30:29 AM »
I don’t come on here to see common sense. 🤣

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #5779 on: July 31, 2021, 10:31:21 AM »
I'm with Monty. If Jack goes, I want a big name in. By all means get Cantwell or somebody, but just make sure there's a Locatelli in there too.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #5780 on: July 31, 2021, 10:37:39 AM »
If Grealish goes we aren't getting the required megastar for a long time, possibly ever. Cantwell would be good for a midtable team which is what we would seem to have accepted.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #5781 on: July 31, 2021, 10:39:24 AM »
Fuck that. We still have ridiculously wealthy owners, and they're about to get another 100 million to spend.

Offline Monty

« Reply #5782 on: July 31, 2021, 10:40:24 AM »
If Grealish goes we aren't getting the required megastar for a long time, possibly ever. Cantwell would be good for a midtable team which is what we would seem to have accepted.

Well, fair enough if you've given up, but that doesn't square with what NSWE have been telling us or what they've been spending. If they're still committed financially, I don't want to waste that opportunity. We've been here before.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #5783 on: July 31, 2021, 10:45:38 AM »
Agree with cdbullyweefan. We're not gonna get similar to jack unless we're in the Top4 even with the money. We can't even get Arsenal youth players.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #5784 on: July 31, 2021, 10:46:28 AM »
I'm with Monty. If Jack goes, I want a big name in. By all means get Cantwell or somebody, but just make sure there's a Locatelli in there too.

That would be great, but let’s be realistic. It looks like we can’t get one of our own to believe in the “project/plan”, so why would they?

Offline Monty

« Reply #5785 on: July 31, 2021, 10:49:22 AM »
I don't think it's about megastars though, or even (only) about the Championship origin. I think Buendìa is a very exciting signing indeed. Cantwell, though, it just looks like we haven't been looking hard enough, or have an irrational bias toward domestic players.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #5786 on: July 31, 2021, 10:54:50 AM »
Fuck that. We still have ridiculously wealthy owners, and they're about to get another 100 million to spend.

Wouldn’t it give us room within FFP to spend a truck load more too?

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #5787 on: July 31, 2021, 10:58:23 AM »
I don't think it's about megastars though, or even (only) about the Championship origin. I think Buendìa is a very exciting signing indeed. Cantwell, though, it just looks like we haven't been looking hard enough, or have an irrational bias toward domestic players.

I don't think he's a bad player really. It's the psychological aspect of putting someone who looks and plays like he does, in the same place as a player or more likely the "myth" of the player he's got no chance of matching up to. When yer lead singer leaves get the drummer, bass player or the guitarist to sing and draft in someone to play their parts.  Much better than getting a shit lookalike singer to take over

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #5788 on: July 31, 2021, 10:58:49 AM »
We improved in 2020 after the season in the Championship.We improved last season.We will be better this season.And I can see us keeping on improving .The personnel might change but it will still be Aston Villa , a very good team with wonderful fans in a brilliant stadium.

Offline Monty

« Reply #5789 on: July 31, 2021, 11:01:20 AM »

I don't think he's a bad player really. It's the psychological aspect of putting someone who looks and plays like he does, in the same place as a player or more likely the "myth" of the player he's got no chance of matching up to. When yer lead singer leaves get the drummer, bass player or the guitarist to sing and draft in someone to play their parts.  Much better than getting a shit lookalike singer to take over

Well, it's not just psychological if your attempt at replacement is a clear downgrade. As others have said, Jack is replaced by us by a change as the best player of his type is actually him. Cantwell isn't bad or anything. He'd just be accepting our fate and knowing our place.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal