collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1109247 times)

Offline jwarry

Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #1020 on: May 10, 2021, 01:11:03 PM »
Dean has said there are plenty of plates spinning and the owners are not going to rest until we are competing for CL places, so could be another interesting window in the summer

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1021 on: May 10, 2021, 01:40:25 PM »
Joking apart , I think Ward- Prowse can be a bit of a nasty, niggly little bugger on occasions and might bring a bit of bite and competitive edge that we sometimes lack in midfield. We are generally a bit too ‘nice’ in M/ F .

Ward Prowse just feels MON thinking to me, we wouldn't get him for under 40m either and for 40-50m signing you want to get someone in who you'd feel would drive us into top 6 at least within two seasons if not quicker.

What about Milenkovic Savic at Lazio? 26, two years left on his deal, constantly linked to CL teams but still at Lazio who'll miss out on CL, 6ft 3 and can play box to box role or as number 10 if needed.

Scored 8 in Serie A this season and 12 in 17/18 season so feels to me like a far more exciting signing than James Ward Prowse. Luiz Alberto is a very good number 10 player for them aswell.

West Ham signed Felipe Anderson for 42m from Lazio a few years back so you can get those types. They'd just finished 13th in the premier league on 42 points.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1022 on: May 10, 2021, 01:45:12 PM »
Ward-Prowse is a definite no for me. He's not done much til now bar score score a couple of free-kicks. He may strengthen the squad but he's not a player to improve on our First team.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #1023 on: May 10, 2021, 01:57:21 PM »
I really would like us to get a tough CM in along the lines of a Viera, Keane someone who really puts the foot in and intimidates teams.

I do however think that Sansom could become a good player next season once fully settled

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1024 on: May 10, 2021, 02:10:12 PM »
I agree on Ward-Prowse, I like him but he's too similar to the rest of the midfielders we have. £40m for a guy who has a good free kick every now and then but doesn't add much in open play feels like a bad use of funds.

Milenkovic-Savic looks like the right sort of player but I've only seen highlights, the other one in Italy I like the look of (again just from highlights) is Locatelli at Sassuolo, I think he'd fit in perfectly for what we need. In fact Berardi and Locatelli coming from Sassuolo together would be a fantastic window for us.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1025 on: May 10, 2021, 02:14:23 PM »
I don't know what Ward-Prowse does that Hourihane doesn't.

Same here.
Yes indeed. He's going to eat out from those two free kicks at Villa Park for rest of his career.

Think his England caps might be more of a talking point.  If we were going to bring him in, it would be to replace / compete with Luiz.  We need a proper defensive midfielder that can do the kind of job Rice does for West Ham and Ndidi does for Leicester.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #1026 on: May 10, 2021, 02:30:42 PM »
I agree on Ward-Prowse, I like him but he's too similar to the rest of the midfielders we have. £40m for a guy who has a good free kick every now and then but doesn't add much in open play feels like a bad use of funds.

Milenkovic-Savic looks like the right sort of player but I've only seen highlights, the other one in Italy I like the look of (again just from highlights) is Locatelli at Sassuolo, I think he'd fit in perfectly for what we need. In fact Berardi and Locatelli coming from Sassuolo together would be a fantastic window for us.

Yes Locatelli and Berardi are very good aswell, Berardi will be starting for Italy at this summers euros so one to watch.

On another forum I'm on there's plenty of Italian posters and they all say about him that he's fantastic player but needs team built around him and prefers playing in environment where there's less internal pressure. He's rejected moves to Jove and Roma in last few years.

That's the problem with ideal looking players sometimes, have to look in their background sometimes. Immobile barely scored at all at Dortmund and Sevilla, goes back to Lazio and instantly scores 25-30 a season again.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #1027 on: May 10, 2021, 02:34:58 PM »

Same here.
Yes indeed. He's going to eat out from those two free kicks at Villa Park for rest of his career.

Think his England caps might be more of a talking point.  If we were going to bring him in, it would be to replace / compete with Luiz.  We need a proper defensive midfielder that can do the kind of job Rice does for West Ham and Ndidi does for Leicester.

Romeu does that role for Southampton (and Hjoberg the year before his Spurs move) so Ward Prowse isn't even a DM.

It's a bit like the obsession with Philip Billing this time last year, people calling for us to sign him as a DM seemingly because he's 6ft 4 when he dosen't even play in that role for Bournemouth.

It still wouldn't shock me if we start the season with Luiz just in the role. He hasn't been great last few months but I dunno we had top 5 defence for most of the season and usually a DM plays a big part in that success don't they?

He's just young and lacks consistancy. This year he's pushed on from being an impact sub to a regular starter so I'm hoping for more improvement next season.

We could do with more goals from CM options though, that's a bit of a problem if you want to break into the top end of the table. Soucek scored 9 for West Ham so far so significant different to what our options have chipped in with.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1028 on: May 10, 2021, 02:41:07 PM »
He's just young and lacks consistancy. This year he's pushed on from being an impact sub to a regular starter so I'm hoping for more improvement next season.

We could do with more goals from CM options though, that's a bit of a problem if you want to break into the top end of the table. Soucek scored 9 for West Ham so far so significant different to what our options have chipped in with.

Luiz has never been an impact sub, surely. He started the majority of our games last season, and when he was a sub it was usually because somebody like Drinkwater was playing abysmally.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #1029 on: May 10, 2021, 02:47:33 PM »

Luiz has never been an impact sub, surely. He started the majority of our games last season, and when he was a sub it was usually because somebody like Drinkwater was playing abysmally.

He was regular at start of last season but then Nakamba got a fair few games around October-December period. Lansbury also started ahead of him for Sheffield United away.... In January 2020 for example Luiz  came on in the game away to Brighton and home to Watford so this season he's gone to essential starter bar the odd game.

Very good up to January imo....not so great in the last three months but he's not alone in that regard from the regular starters.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1030 on: May 10, 2021, 02:57:52 PM »

Same here.

Romeu does that role for Southampton (and Hjoberg the year before his Spurs move) so Ward Prowse isn't even a DM.

It's a bit like the obsession with Philip Billing this time last year, people calling for us to sign him as a DM seemingly because he's 6ft 4 when he dosen't even play in that role for Bournemouth.

It still wouldn't shock me if we start the season with Luiz just in the role. He hasn't been great last few months but I dunno we had top 5 defence for most of the season and usually a DM plays a big part in that success don't they?

I don't watch enough of Southampton to evaluate, but I thought that Romeu was bloody good against us down there and looked like the kind of player we could do with, he had the physicallity but also a good touch and could carry the ball.

It was probably his best performance of the season and he's usually gash now I've said that.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1031 on: May 10, 2021, 03:02:35 PM »

I want us to play with a flat 3 across midfield that allows the 3 in front to move around the pitch more, in that 3 I think the 4 midfielders in the squad that I like (McGinn, Luiz, Sanson and Ramsey) are all suited to playing the 2 wider roles but then you want someone in between with the height, strength and running power to break up opposition attacks and transition us into our own. I think Chukwuemeka will become that type of player so I'm happy for him to be the cover option or for us to sign 2 players for the role with one being more of a whelan/jedinak signing to get us by for a year or 2.

I just think it's important we get a physical presence in there to take some of the pressure off Luiz to be an enforcer which doesn't really suit his game.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1032 on: May 10, 2021, 03:21:06 PM »
Pereira should be our first signing. He’s a top young talent.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #1033 on: May 10, 2021, 03:53:51 PM »

Don’t disagree but I suspect we will see the Lange signings this summer, some of which we will have never heard of

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1034 on: May 10, 2021, 04:10:30 PM »

Don’t disagree but I suspect we will see the Lange signings this summer, some of which we will have never heard of

I expect us to be linked with Shania Twain and Def Leppard.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal