collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1109169 times)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #990 on: May 09, 2021, 10:01:11 PM »
We need a ball playing unit in front of the back four.  Been saying it for the last couple of years.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #991 on: May 09, 2021, 10:02:39 PM »
Here's one I'll throw into the ring - How about James Ward-Prowse from Southampton?

He's about the level of player that would improve our starting 11, and I'd say 'gettable' for a club in our position.

He'd have the lure of a few more England regulars alongside him (inc. Jack), and would probably know Targett quite well from his time on the South Coast. He's an established Premier League midfielder (so very little risk involved), has killer technique in dead ball situations, and has just broken through into the national squad. I think he'd be perfect for that midfielder sized hole in the middle of Villa Park?

Unless they've got some release cause in their contract, it would be very difficult to sign a key player from another PL team.  That's even if the player would be open to a move to a club in a similar bracket (at the moment).

The going rate for a player of that ilk is probably around the £40 million mark in today's inflated domestic market.  So if Soton were looking £50-60 mill for a player they don't want to lose (and don't need to sell) is it still attractive?

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #992 on: May 09, 2021, 10:21:50 PM »
Ward-Prowse? Not for general play. Free kicks he is miles better than anything we currently have. Question is could we carry him for his set pieces?

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #993 on: May 09, 2021, 10:33:21 PM »
Bailey and JWP are good suggestions for signings.
Not sure they’re the galacticos people are demanding though…..

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #994 on: May 09, 2021, 10:54:03 PM »
Bailey still relatively young so could learn from playing alongside Messi. Get him in.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #995 on: May 09, 2021, 11:08:38 PM »
Can't we sign someone like Smith Rowe?

He's a terrific player imo, wonderful touch and makes fantastic runs into the box.

Arsenal are so clueless they'll probably sell him for 20m when they spend 200m on more forwards so I'd like us to be in as can see likes of Leicester wanting him.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #996 on: May 09, 2021, 11:12:52 PM »
Ward-Prowse? Not for general play. Free kicks he is miles better than anything we currently have. Question is could we carry him for his set pieces?

Thing with Ward Prowse is he's a decent midfielder but not really better than McGinn, energetic and o.k passing but not the sort to drag us near top 6.

And given his status at Southampton and getting called up by England, he's costing 40m minimum so we need to be signing real difference makers.

He reminds me of Charlie Adam in a way, had that mad year at Blackpool that got him a Liverpool move but that exposed the limitations to his all round game and he faded into obscurity at Stoke after that.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #997 on: May 09, 2021, 11:16:44 PM »
I think I've only watched one Southampton game this season so no expert, but someone who plays like McGinn and is brilliant at free kicks sounds alright to me.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #998 on: May 09, 2021, 11:30:17 PM »
I think I've only watched one Southampton game this season so no expert,

About the same as me so can't really comment but my uncle who seems to watch every live game reckons Bissouma is the player that we need in midfield. Not sure if he would fully meet the "ball playing unit in front of the back four" that Steve67 feels we're missing.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #999 on: May 10, 2021, 12:04:05 AM »
I think I've only watched one Southampton game this season so no expert,

About the same as me so can't really comment but my uncle who seems to watch every live game reckons Bissouma is the player that we need in midfield. Not sure if he would fully meet the "ball playing unit in front of the back four" that Steve67 feels we're missing.

Had a good game today I thought and reads play well and will certainly give us more presence in central area.

Talk Liverpool are in for him though.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #1000 on: May 10, 2021, 12:20:38 AM »
James Ward-Prowse? For £40-50m I'd be passing. His last outstanding league match was against us 6 months ago. Signing average players like JWP isn't going to keep our best players with us, that is the bottom line.

We now have the third richest owners in the League due to Sawiris's fortune increasing by $3.5b in the past year.

I think we should go all out for Depay. Offer him £160k-a-week for 5 years (with heavy incentives) which would equal a £42m transfer free which we aren't paying because he's out of contract in June. Yes he flopped at manure, how did Salah get on at Chelsea?

Maybe that's even too cheap. Let's not forget we've apparently paid Chelsea £11m to secure the immense services of Barkley for a year and on top of that we're paying him £5m in wages.

Online ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #1001 on: May 10, 2021, 01:35:39 AM »
Thats what City did, took a little time to solidify then spent mega money buying top players. If they are allowed i believe the owners would be up for it.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1002 on: May 10, 2021, 02:46:29 AM »
I don't know what Ward-Prowse does that Hourihane doesn't.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #1003 on: May 10, 2021, 06:46:11 AM »

Same here.

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #1004 on: May 10, 2021, 07:21:28 AM »

Same here.
Well, he knows which way to pass the port for a starter. Daddy is a High Court Judge after all. A cut above the usual tattooed oiks with whom we are linked.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal