collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Kits 23/24 by Simon Page
[Today at 10:20:43 AM]

FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 10:19:14 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by sid1964
[Today at 10:07:04 AM]

International Rugby by paul_e
[Today at 10:06:23 AM]

Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by john e
[Today at 10:00:02 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by aj2k77
[Today at 09:29:53 AM]

Games Moved for TV by olaftab
[Today at 09:19:58 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Kits 23/24 by Simon Page
[Today at 10:20:43 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 10:19:14 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 10:09:09 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Risso
[Today at 10:08:20 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by sid1964
[Today at 10:07:04 AM]

Re: International Rugby by paul_e
[Today at 10:06:23 AM]

Re: Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by john e
[Today at 10:00:02 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 09:52:01 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1104946 times)

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #1050 on: May 10, 2021, 06:36:40 PM »
Douglas Luiz has the right attitude there as he's learning and growing. Technically very good and part of Brazil team and squad I've been recently concerned on form but long term he's the man I stick with and was purchased with the ability to only improve . He's causal but really a calm player who plays at own pace.

I think a couple of very experienced head alongside or in squad would work wonders for the whole team  :)

The other Week Dougie said this. (He turned 23 yesterday.)

“I have a good long pass, I’m good at marking, I have dribbling skills and I’m a good out-ball, At Villa part of my role is to close spaces to allow our full-backs to have more space. But I’m only 22 so there’s still a lot to learn, a lot of maturing to do. It’s up to me to keep fighting and asking for help from the manager and the older players.”

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1051 on: May 10, 2021, 06:46:42 PM »
Sergej Milinković-Savić or Javi Martinez to play in midfield

Offline garyellis

« Reply #1052 on: May 10, 2021, 07:36:59 PM »
you're looking at closer to 100m for those three. McNeil is more like 35-40, Olise 15-20, Buendia 40-45
Talking to a big Norwich fan last week they don’t think Buendia will stick around for another season of struggle in the premier league.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1053 on: May 10, 2021, 07:49:55 PM »
you're looking at closer to 100m for those three. McNeil is more like 35-40, Olise 15-20, Buendia 40-45
Talking to a big Norwich fan last week they don’t think Buendia will stick around for another season of struggle in the premier league.

He might not, but being under contract he's not going on the cheap. He's a super player so it would be nice to think we might be in for him.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1054 on: May 10, 2021, 09:11:56 PM »
Did Buendia really do it in the Premier League last season?  I don't know a lot about him.  We could do with some height and pace about us and I'm not sure he fits what we are looking for?

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1055 on: May 10, 2021, 09:14:04 PM »
Presumably if we were going to buy Buendia, we would have bought him a couple of years ago as Smith was meant to have liked him but never signed him.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1056 on: May 10, 2021, 10:03:40 PM »
I don't know what Ward-Prowse does that Hourihane doesn't.

Same here.
Yes indeed. He's going to eat out from those two free kicks at Villa Park for rest of his career.

Think his England caps might be more of a talking point.  If we were going to bring him in, it would be to replace / compete with Luiz.  We need a proper defensive midfielder that can do the kind of job Rice does for West Ham and Ndidi does for Leicester.

Romeu does that role for Southampton (and Hjoberg the year before his Spurs move) so Ward Prowse isn't even a DM.

It's a bit like the obsession with Philip Billing this time last year, people calling for us to sign him as a DM seemingly because he's 6ft 4 when he dosen't even play in that role for Bournemouth.

It still wouldn't shock me if we start the season with Luiz just in the role. He hasn't been great last few months but I dunno we had top 5 defence for most of the season and usually a DM plays a big part in that success don't they?

He's just young and lacks consistancy. This year he's pushed on from being an impact sub to a regular starter so I'm hoping for more improvement next season.

We could do with more goals from CM options though, that's a bit of a problem if you want to break into the top end of the table. Soucek scored 9 for West Ham so far so significant different to what our options have chipped in with.

I don't watch enough of Southampton to evaluate, but I thought that Romeu was bloody good against us down there and looked like the kind of player we could do with, he had the physicallity but also a good touch and could carry the ball.

It was probably his best performance of the season and he's usually gash now I've said that.

I'm pretty sure we were close to getting him years back when Houllier was here. Think we were looking at him and then Chelsea signed him, Fofana at Lyon was another but he got a bad injury and didn't really recover.

Yeah he's underrated but close to 30 now and gets a few injuries.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #1057 on: May 10, 2021, 10:06:10 PM »
I am always uncomfortable with signing players who either looked really good against us and/or looked decent in relegated teams. Maybe I have just never recovered from the likes of Sasa Curcic and Mustapha Hadji who scarred me at a young age.

Alan Thompson another. Started off o.k but then completely faded although he did well enough at Celtic to get an England call up.

He was pretty much Hourihane twenty years earlier, good on dead balls but very little else to his game.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1058 on: May 10, 2021, 10:48:59 PM »
With Fulham gone (again) could Mitrovic do a job for us ?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1059 on: May 10, 2021, 10:53:41 PM »
I am always uncomfortable with signing players who either looked really good against us and/or looked decent in relegated teams. Maybe I have just never recovered from the likes of Sasa Curcic and Mustapha Hadji who scarred me at a young age.

Alan Thompson another. Started off o.k but then completely faded although he did well enough at Celtic to get an England call up.

He was pretty much Hourihane twenty years earlier, good on dead balls but very little else to his game.

He wasn't even that good at set pieces. Scored one free kick, which deflected off the wall, against Man U on or soon after his debut and after that whenever we were on the telly and got a free kick the commentators would say something along the lines of "here comes Villa's set piece danger man" as he whacked it straight at the wall again.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1060 on: May 10, 2021, 10:57:24 PM »

Roy Keane did ok at United. Robertson and Wijnaldum at Liverpool. There are plenty of decent players in the championship and at clubs below us in the table. However, I don't see anyone in the relegated three teams that immediately suggests they would improve our first eleven. Lookman didn't really kick on after a bright start at Fulham. Perreira is a talent but that's the position Id like to see McGinn in next season.

Curcic was bat shit mental. Not really sure why Hadji flopped, DOL didn't give him a chance at all?

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #1061 on: May 10, 2021, 11:07:46 PM »
Until Romeu's injury,Ward-Prowse and him were the best pair of holding midfielders.They were good defensively,knew the role well and their first time passes were accurate.If available,Romeu would be the cheap,ageing,possibly injury prone option.
Ward-Prowse would be expensive but a great acquisition.Doesn't waste a pass,lacks some pace but reads the game well and his set piece delivery is the best in the country.Deserves to be in the England squad.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #1062 on: May 10, 2021, 11:59:22 PM »
With Fulham gone (again) could Mitrovic do a job for us ?

Yes. If you want a striker that doesn't possess any real skill, has no pace, rarely presses the ball and highly likely won't score more than 10 goals in the Premier League.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #1063 on: May 11, 2021, 12:34:46 AM »

He wasn't even that good at set pieces. Scored one free kick, which deflected off the wall, against Man U on or soon after his debut and after that whenever we were on the telly and got a free kick the commentators would say something along the lines of "here comes Villa's set piece danger man" as he whacked it straight at the wall again.

It was Boro on his home debut. He'd missed a penalty in the first half that day and then hit a terrible penalty a few weeks late at home to Wimbledon (Merse's debut) and thanfully never took one again.

I was watching a few YTs of early games from 98/99 the other day and he was hitting some nice strikes from outside the area that the keepers were tipping over the bar but soon went out of the line up. Was Bolton's best player anyway when they went down in 97/98.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #1064 on: May 11, 2021, 12:37:14 AM »

Roy Keane did ok at United. Robertson and Wijnaldum at Liverpool. There are plenty of decent players in the championship and at clubs below us in the table. However, I don't see anyone in the relegated three teams that immediately suggests they would improve our first eleven. Lookman didn't really kick on after a bright start at Fulham. Perreira is a talent but that's the position Id like to see McGinn in next season.

Curcic was bat shit mental. Not really sure why Hadji flopped, DOL didn't give him a chance at all?

Hadji came under Gregory. I thought he was excellent at Coventry and good Merson replacement in long run so thought it was a good deal giving them Joachim and him coming in swop but he played very few games even after joining, Hassan Kachoul was more of a regular for first few months of that season before he also got frozen out so that probably showed Gregory's weakness of prefering hard running and grit over too much flair in the team.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal