collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1109226 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #510 on: April 23, 2021, 12:25:44 PM »
Jesse Lingard would be a good buy, saying that 6 months ago would have been derided.

Not for me. How do we know we would be getting brilliant last six months Jesse Lingard as opposed to mediocre previous ten years or so Jesse Lingard?

I just have a feeling he would go back to the never scoring, setting one up or looking vaguely competent variety of Jesse Lingard the second he put on a non-copycat version of a claret and blue shirt.

I'd say it's irrelevant anyway. It's almost certain Man U will want him back, though with a better than average chance West Ham will make it permanent if they do finish top 4. Either way he's going to want to be at a Champions League club.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #511 on: April 23, 2021, 12:51:00 PM »
But he's not even any good at what he's supposed to be good at. Nine times out of ten instead of trying to beat a man, he turns round and passes it backwards.

I disagree. He is good at what he's supposed to be good at, it's just that what he's good at is difficult, and most of the time will end in him looking like a berk. When it works though...

He's a winger/attacking player. One successful step over every other game isn't really enough.

Pretty sure his overall goals and assists in probably still under 20 starts for us is fairly decent.

Just had a quick look and he's scored 5 league goals and off the top of my head I can remember the assist for Ollie's goal v Arsenal and the other week for Fulham third so considering he only broke properly into the team in December he's generally done o.k.

Been really poor recently no doubt but at his best he simply has more to his game than El Ghazi and Trez.

What we have to remember is nowadays signing a player for 15m dosen't really get you 10 goals and 10 assists a season unless you have incredibly good scouting.

That will be expected from whatever signing we make for 30m + which is probably coming from us in next year or two. Even then there's no guarentee but let's hope we scout well enough to find one capable of that.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #512 on: April 23, 2021, 01:02:32 PM »
But he's not even any good at what he's supposed to be good at. Nine times out of ten instead of trying to beat a man, he turns round and passes it backwards.

I disagree. He is good at what he's supposed to be good at, it's just that what he's good at is difficult, and most of the time will end in him looking like a berk. When it works though...

He's a winger/attacking player. One successful step over every other game isn't really enough.

Pretty sure his overall goals and assists in probably still under 20 starts for us is fairly decent.

Just had a quick look and he's scored 5 league goals and off the top of my head I can remember the assist for Ollie's goal v Arsenal and the other week for Fulham third so considering he only broke properly into the team in December he's generally done o.k.

Been really poor recently no doubt but at his best he simply has more to his game than El Ghazi and Trez.

What we have to remember is nowadays signing a player for 15m dosen't really get you 10 goals and 10 assists a season unless you have incredibly good scouting.

That will be expected from whatever signing we make for 30m + which is probably coming from us in next year or two. Even then there's no guarentee but let's hope we scout well enough to find one capable of that.

5 goals and 4 assists in 22 starts, I think that's a decent return for a winger in his first season with us at that price. He's also 3rd (behind Grealish and McGinn) for the number of successful dribbles per game. Where he needs to improve is getting more shots away and playing more 'positive' passes into the box.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #513 on: April 23, 2021, 02:07:27 PM »
His decision making needs to improve,  when to try the nice flick (ie not when we've just the the ball back for the first time in 10 mins), when hold onto it for a bit, etc.

Because ability wise he has it in spades.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #514 on: April 23, 2021, 02:25:12 PM »
His decision making needs to improve,  when to try the nice flick (ie not when we've just the the ball back for the first time in 10 mins), when hold onto it for a bit, etc.

Because ability wise he has it in spades.

Yeah, that's largely what I mean about the shots and passes into the box, oddly he seems more willing, right now, to try something risky in our half than he is in the final third which I can only imagine is a lack of confidence/struggle to cope with the pressure thing. Earlier in the season he was trying all sorts of tricks around the box and they've mostly disappeared in the last month or so.

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #515 on: April 23, 2021, 03:40:04 PM »
What's the general consensus on Traore (Bert)? Maybe he needed taking out of the firing line weeks back but he has been impossibly bad for what seems like months.

Crap, a few dazzling tricks but too many weeks where he is 5/10.

i'm hoping the presence of a crowd will give him a kick up the arse.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #516 on: April 23, 2021, 04:21:41 PM »
What's the general consensus on Traore (Bert)? Maybe he needed taking out of the firing line weeks back but he has been impossibly bad for what seems like months.

He's an experienced player though, he shouldn't need that kick. Might be worth trying him in 10 for a few weeks as I don't see him as an option out wide really.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #517 on: April 23, 2021, 05:07:04 PM »
Jesse Lingard would be a good buy, saying that 6 months ago would have been derided.

Not for me. How do we know we would be getting brilliant last six months Jesse Lingard as opposed to mediocre previous ten years or so Jesse Lingard?

I just have a feeling he would go back to the never scoring, setting one up or looking vaguely competent variety of Jesse Lingard the second he put on a non-copycat version of a claret and blue shirt.

I'd say it's irrelevant anyway. It's almost certain Man U will want him back, though with a better than average chance West Ham will make it permanent if they do finish top 4. Either way he's going to want to be at a Champions League club.

Not disagreeing with you, or saying I want Lingard, but if we are going to get to the next level we need to start convincing players we will soon be a Champions League club.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #518 on: April 23, 2021, 06:35:05 PM »
You do that by showing ambition. 2 seasons of Premier League football, going into a third makes FFP less of a problem and means we can start to leverage our position more. Remember when we tried to sign Callum Wilson last summer, it came to light that we weren't able to offer the same terms that Newcastle were because of FFP.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #519 on: April 23, 2021, 06:51:22 PM »
You do that by showing ambition. 2 seasons of Premier League football, going into a third makes FFP less of a problem and means we can start to leverage our position more. Remember when we tried to sign Callum Wilson last summer, it came to light that we weren't able to offer the same terms that Newcastle were because of FFP.

Was it FFP though, or was it the fact that we weren't prepared to pay him 100k a week

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #520 on: April 23, 2021, 07:00:31 PM »
One way or the other, I'm glad we didn't.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #521 on: April 23, 2021, 08:25:58 PM »

He's an experienced player though, he shouldn't need that kick. Might be worth trying him in 10 for a few weeks as I don't see him as an option out wide really.

I've often thought he would look better as a no10 but I think he'd get hustled off the ball like he does now as well. It's frustrating because there's clearly a lot of talent there.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #522 on: April 24, 2021, 02:34:45 PM »
Let’s go to Brentford (again) and offer them big bucks for Toney. He’s got everything. Could be a top level striker.

Wonder if we could offer them £20mil.

Or maybe even £25mil and Chuck Wesley and Davis in 😂

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #523 on: April 24, 2021, 10:22:13 PM »
I don't want us to buy anyone else from Brentford ever again, no matter how good they are. Unless Brentford agree to officially being our feeder club.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #524 on: April 24, 2021, 10:35:18 PM »
He's done a good job Thomas Frank, given he lost Maupay, Konsa, Benrahma and Watkins.  Toney looks really laid back but scores goals. Decent player.

Watching a bit of Yves Bissouma for Brighton tonight, great player but I thought he slowed the game down too much when they were pressing for an equaliser against Sheffield United.  I think he's a really good player though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal