collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Astnor
[Today at 09:34:17 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 09:32:44 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1108880 times)

Offline aj2k77

Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #480 on: April 22, 2021, 09:11:42 AM »
I thought Nakamba was a hard pressing, ball winner? He couldn't win a fight with a 1 armed midget, he was nowhere near anyone last night. Recoup anything from him and get him gone. We need MUCH better options than McGinn, Luiz and Nakamba in the middle and much better options that El Ghazi, Trezeguet and Traore out wide.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #481 on: April 22, 2021, 11:36:15 AM »
I thought Nakamba was a hard pressing, ball winner? He couldn't win a fight with a 1 armed midget, he was nowhere near anyone last night. Recoup anything from him and get him gone. We need MUCH better options than McGinn, Luiz and Nakamba in the middle and much better options that El Ghazi, Trezeguet and Traore out wide.

Agree completely. The defence looks sorted, but you could make a case for replacing all of the players you mention. Obviously we won't do that, but it worries me that we've got so many mediocre players still.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #482 on: April 22, 2021, 12:13:54 PM »

Agree completely. The defence looks sorted, but you could make a case for replacing all of the players you mention. Obviously we won't do that, but it worries me that we've got so many mediocre players still.

I'd settle for mediocre! They're shocking at the moment, struggling with even the basic elements of playing the bastard game. Shooting's crap if and when it happens, passing to a bloke in the same ******* colour shirt seems often too much to ask, tackling's half-arsed or reckless, shite.

But like you and others have said, we now have a solid defence and 'keeper, a bizzo centre forward, and a genuinely mercurial midfielder. A couple of real upgrades in the middle of the park would see us improve hugely, I think.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #483 on: April 22, 2021, 02:56:18 PM »
Yep this adage that it takes at least 3 seasons to build a mid table Premier League squad under FFP seems to be true. There's at least 4 1st team places up for grabs this summer, if the right players can be signed which may push us into a proper challenge for Europe and maybe some cup runs. We've proved we can play good football and have some very good players, now its adding those 1st team starters to what we've got. I'm coming more to the view that Grealish should be played as a 10 as part of the squad construction this summer.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #484 on: April 22, 2021, 03:36:48 PM »
I'm hoping Gustavo Cisneros turns-up in the final series of Better Call Saul. There's only one Gus Fring but no harm in having two characters with the same first name, happens in real life often enough.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #485 on: April 22, 2021, 04:01:06 PM »
Interesting what Paul e says.

The issue I have with central midfield is yes a Soucek type would be great but look at what we have currently. McGinn plays every minute of every game so while DS remains here I can't ever really see his starting place coming under serious threat even if last 6 months have shown his limitations if we want to break into top 6 in future.

Luiz getting plenty of stick in recent times and I agree he's been off form for a while now. However he's the DM in this team and the defence has been excellent for most of the season so usually when the defence is really good, the DM also gets massively praised so
he should get credit. He'll be back on form next season and is a starter again in my book.

We've just paid 15m for Sanson who'll surely figure more next season. Unless he's one of those DS has already given up on after a few months which seems to be a bit of a theme with some of our foreign signings like Kalinic, Gulibert and Engels.

Ramsey figured a fair bit now so again will be expecting more starts unless we decided to loan him out for a season...but it must be to a good level as would make no sense to send him back to league one or lower end championship team now. Would consider if say Watford or Norwich want him for the season.

Even without Nakamba coming into the equation that's four midfielders who will be expecting regular minutes and in McGinn's case it's set in stone he'll be starting every game he's available for next season. That's without signing a wide player or two that could mean Jack goes back to number 10 position so then it's just two CMs behind.

Just much easier to sign a really good wide player I think and then see what's around next January.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #486 on: April 22, 2021, 04:43:03 PM »
Dean mightn't be so soft on McGinn if Purslow tells him he has £30m to improve our midfield and Lange is in his ear about three targets that are good and gettable.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #487 on: April 22, 2021, 05:34:34 PM »
Dean mightn't be so soft on McGinn if Purslow tells him he has £30m to improve our midfield and Lange is in his ear about three targets that are good and gettable.

I just think McGinn will remain a certain starter as long as DS is here. Obviously when he's on form that's not a problem but he's been as off form with everyone else in last few months.

Pretty sure Dean gave an article a while ago saying he saw Liverpool as a bit of an example in how they've formed 5-6 who'll always start no matter their form (although Klopp has started benching likes of Salah and Mane in recent times).

Just think Dean's the sort who'll just start likes of Mings and McGinn regardless. Even if they're in iffy form their leadership and influence in dressing room will get them out there.

What's interesting in long run is from the bits I've seen of Sanson he's more like McGinn than Luiz for example so in the long run I'm not sure those two will work as a combination in midfield so either Sanson just becomes an expensive squad player or we rotate the two depending on opposition.

This is the continual test for Dean in next two years. He gets another 150-200m to spend and we can't really be getting to March in future seasons with half our team dead on their feet because we've barely rotated the 11 up to that point.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #488 on: April 22, 2021, 05:48:00 PM »
I just think McGinn will remain a certain starter as long as DS is here. Obviously when he's on form that's not a problem but he's been as off form with everyone else in last few months.
Pretty sure Dean gave an article a while ago saying he saw Liverpool as a bit of an example in how they've formed 5-6 who'll always start no matter their form (although Klopp has started benching likes of Salah and Mane in recent times).
Just think Dean's the sort who'll just start likes of Mings and McGinn regardless. Even if they're in iffy form their leadership and influence in dressing room will get them out there.
What's interesting in long run is from the bits I've seen of Sanson he's more like McGinn than Luiz for example so in the long run I'm not sure those two will work as a combination in midfield so either Sanson just becomes an expensive squad player or we rotate the two depending on opposition.
This is the continual test for Dean in next two years. He gets another 150-200m to spend and we can't really be getting to March in future seasons with half our team dead on their feet because we've barely rotated the 11 up to that point.
All well and good, unless you could see Sanson and McGinn supporting Watkins , in front of JG and a couple of really classy midfielders who can win the ball and play the passes.
As Chelsea and  - to a certain extent - Liverpool play it. Indeed, Citeh didn't play wingers last night: they played some really good midfielders who could play wide when the situation required it.

The game needs players to be interchangeable and versatile (requiring fitness, good pass-and-move skills and some personal magic). That's why - IMO - Nakamba, AEG and (to a lesser extent) Trez and Traore don't quite work for me.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #489 on: April 22, 2021, 07:09:23 PM »
I do feel that McGinn and Mings are undroppable because of their personalities both on and off the pitch.  That’s not a criticism because player’s that dictate a positive culture through their example should be afforded a bit of slack.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #490 on: April 22, 2021, 09:00:33 PM »
What's the general consensus on Traore (Bert)? Maybe he needed taking out of the firing line weeks back but he has been impossibly bad for what seems like months.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #491 on: April 22, 2021, 09:03:42 PM »
What's the general consensus on Traore (Bert)? Maybe he needed taking out of the firing line weeks back but he has been impossibly bad for what seems like months.

I suspect he is carrying a rib injury, but rest has not been an option.  I not convinced he will ever be consistent but like the fact he is around; after grealish probably our most maverick player.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #492 on: April 22, 2021, 09:30:50 PM »

Crap, a few dazzling tricks but too many weeks where he is 5/10.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #493 on: April 22, 2021, 10:11:29 PM »
Still the player with most potential to frighten the opposition when Grealish is unavailable. He has underperformed lately though, admittedly. He seems to be suffering from the same malaise that's affecting the rest of the team. If we had more players he would almost certainly have been dropped.

I haven't given up on him as quickly as many on here, though, and fancy him to run Baggies ragged on Sunday.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 10:13:09 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #494 on: April 22, 2021, 10:17:23 PM »

Crap, a few dazzling tricks but too many weeks where he is 5/10.

5/10 is way too generous, he's been a 3 or a 4 for weeks. Constantly loses possession, and doesn't support Cash one bit. A total dud.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal