collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 10 Man Sheffield United 1 Aston Villa 0 Post Match Thread  (Read 15223 times)

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
Re: 10 Man Sheffield United 1 Aston Villa 0 Post Match Thread
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2021, 08:42:02 PM »
Could have played till midnight and not scored.  Where has our attacking ability gone.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2021, 08:42:08 PM »
Time to take the rose tinted glasses off ladies and gents, we need to seriously ask is this Deans equivalent of Wilders 2019 season? We need to push on next season and no mistake. No passengers.

Bloody Nora.

If the internet had been around in 1992...

Every time there’s a couple of bad results this shite comes out the woodwork. We’re 9th, this time two years ago we were mid table at best in the championship. We’re on average form but also completely secure in the division and have made huge strides and are frankly unrecognisable to any villa side since some point 11 years ago. I’ll keep my rose tinted glasses on for a bit longer ta.
you're right - but it doesn't mean we shouldn't be pissed off and want better - as tonight simply should have been better, regardless of last season :)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2021, 08:42:16 PM »

Every time there’s a couple of bad results this shite comes out the woodwork. We’re 9th, this time two years ago we were mid table at best in the championship. We’re on average form but also completely secure in the division and have made huge strides and are frankly unrecognisable to any villa side since some point 11 years ago. I’ll keep my rose tinted glasses on for a bit longer ta.

Leicester sacked the man who won them the league in the most amazing circumstances, and Chelsea have just sacked an ex-legend who got them Champions League in his frst season in less thn perfect circumstances. Sometimes you have to make difficult decisions to progress. That time isn't now, but I'm not convinced that Dean is a top 4 level manager, and I think at some point we'll outgrow him if the owners are serious, which I think they are.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2021, 08:44:05 PM »
Great result followed by piss poor performance is par for the course ......it's what this club has done for years
Champions League? You're having a laugh :)
Thank heaven's the points are on the board
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 08:47:42 PM by villa `cross the mersey »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2021, 08:46:18 PM »
We started sloppily, with passes going astray (one absolute howler across-field from McGinn early crated an early goal for SheffU; and a couple from Marv): we picked it up somewhat. Generally, though, it lacked fizz, energy and precision.
I don't think we can look at the absence of JG tonight: rather, the players (Mings and Konsa aside) were below par. Decision-making - particularly from Traore - was poor, and we got sucked into a scrap rather than taking our time and playing considered and controlled football.
Really, really frustrating.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2021, 08:46:22 PM »
Time to take the rose tinted glasses off ladies and gents, we need to seriously ask is this Deans equivalent of Wilders 2019 season? We need to push on next season and no mistake. No passengers.

Bloody Nora.

it was

Outside of a few boffins, not really. Until 1998 you thought Alta Vista was Ford Mondeo's little brother, admit it.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2021, 08:46:44 PM »
It’s like we have a sniff of doing something memorable and we collectively decide that we are not ready for success. There were some awful performances out there tonight and Smith should take some blame for not changing it earlier.

Online simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2021, 08:49:17 PM »

Leicester sacked the man who won them the league in the most amazing circumstances, and Chelsea have just sacked an ex-legend who got them Champions League in his frst season in less thn perfect circumstances. Sometimes you have to make difficult decisions to progress. That time isn't now, but I'm not convinced that Dean is a top 4 level manager, and I think at some point we'll outgrow him if the owners are serious, which I think they are.

Let’s see what he does in the summer. It may have been as big a shock to the coaching staff as it has been to us that the team clicked like it did. We are moving forward, not stagnating as we did under pubehead and heading for a top ten finish .., first since Houllier?

Smith has earned the opportunity to take this team on, change and develop it. We were 16th in the championship just over two years ago. That’s slightly better than lampard taking over an established Chelsea side isn’t it ... reminding myself that Lampard failed to get a side out of the same division with all the loans and contacts he had from that academy.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2021, 08:49:26 PM »

Bloody Nora.

I was about to mention the Oldham game.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2021, 08:50:47 PM »

Bloody Nora.

Same here. I'm enjoying this season on the whole, tonight was hugely frustrating but there's no need to go all Rita Hayworth.

OK, Prince Phillip and Rita Hayworth up front. Now, what about the midfield ?

Offline AndyB6

« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2021, 08:52:22 PM »
What worries me is if Smith is without Grealish everything falls apart regardless of the division we are in.
And I do not need to told how great Jack is!

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2021, 08:53:04 PM »
In the last 2 seasons, I think it’s just one win when falling behind (Watford), and this season it’s just one draw at Chelsea.

When we go behind there’s never any tactical change. Even when Davis came on at the end, Watkins went wide.

We have to think better and do better to get back into a game.

Offline dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2021, 08:55:35 PM »
So so frustrating. We are simply woeful against 10 men. Smith and his coaching team should have demanded our wingers stay  on the touchline and overlap the fullbacks. We simply had all our players within the width of the penalty area. Criminal game management. What a fucking embarrassment..

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2021, 08:56:50 PM »
Elmo just let the ball run and had no awareness for Sheffield’s goal. It was awful, Sunday league division 4 morning after a full on Saturday bender defending. Crossing was woeful. There was a domination of the midfield without creativity.

If, after 25 games last season you would have said we’d be on the same points as Tottenham, above Arsenal and two wins outside the top six with a plus goal difference then you’d been laughed at on here. If you’d said it the season before with 25 games gone you’d have been committed.

To suggest Smith isn’t good enough to manage us is just laughable at the minute.
Bender defending? Are you on the right topic? ;  )

Offline Max Villan

« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2021, 08:57:39 PM »
What worries me is if Smith is without Grealish everything falls apart regardless of the division we are in.
And I do not need to told how great Jack is!

Smith this summer will finally have a settled, top half squad  and be able to spend massively on a couple of creative players, so I doubt we will be so reliant on Grealish next season.

Just be grateful we've had him until now to get us to this point.

I personally want Grealish back central next season, and some big money signings for both wings.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal