collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 10 Man Sheffield United 1 Aston Villa 0 Post Match Thread  (Read 15097 times)

Offline Goldie.7

Re: 10 Man Sheffield United 1 Aston Villa 0 Post Match Thread
« Reply #120 on: March 03, 2021, 09:13:17 PM »
McGinn and Traore simply have to score. That's the difference between us and other sides that go on winning runs. They are clinical when they get their chances, we are not!

Trezeguet's absolute howler against wet spam is another that instantly springs to mind. A glaring lack of composure when it really matters has cost us so many points this season.

It's very frustrating.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #121 on: March 03, 2021, 09:13:20 PM »
It sometimes looks like Traore's legs have got a mind of their own. When it bamboozles the defender it looks great, but when he slices another clearance or kicks the ball tamely out for a goal kick, it's really infuriating.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2021, 09:16:30 PM »
A poor performance by anybody’s standards. I’ve said it before but when you go beyond the first choice starting 11 we are pretty low on quality at the moment but we are still building and Smith will put that right in the transfer window. Ramsey and Sanson are for next season not now and Elmo, AEG, Nakamba, Davis are not PL quality. For whatever reason the quality in the final third was shocking tonight

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2021, 09:20:21 PM »
Quality of delivery was very poor all night.

In retrospect we got the team badly wrong. We needed quality and guile against a stubborn and very limited side. We didn't need Nakamba and sadly a game too far for Ramsey.

Too slow to move the ball, some atrociously poor delivery all night, a penalty not given, Traore effort and the woodwork is about all we had to show. Totally devoid of any quality in the final ball.

Elmo has cost us 3 goals in 3 games. Cash plays, we draw or maybe actually find a cross, who knows

We are crazily inconsistent at the moment.

I'm not sure that we have been inconsistent recently as a team exactly. Rather, the defence has been consistently outstanding but the midfield and forwards have been very ordinary.

4 goals in 6 games is ordinarily going to leave a poor run of results but generally the defensively solidity has got us out of jail.

Our lack of creativity over the last 6 games is worrying (even with Jack).

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2021, 09:21:26 PM »
A poor performance by anybody’s standards. I’ve said it before but when you go beyond the first choice starting 11 we are pretty low on quality at the moment but we are still building and Smith will put that right in the transfer window. Ramsey and Sanson are for next season not now and Elmo, AEG, Nakamba, Davis are not PL quality. For whatever reason the quality in the final third was shocking tonight

Harsh on El Ghazi I think, he's got the ability, just not the consistency, but he needs those around him to be better as well. Agree about the others, but a bench with Sanson and Luiz on it is heading in the right direction. Once again though, the decision not to strengthen up front looks like really costing us. When Watkins hits a barren patch we've nothing else whatsoever, Davis isn't even Championship standard to be honest.  That's two years running they've done it now, and it's very naive I think.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2021, 09:23:03 PM »

Harsh on El Ghazi I think, he's got the ability, just not the consistency, but he needs those around him to be better as well. Agree about the others, but a bench with Sanson and Luiz on it is heading in the right direction. Once again though, the decision not to strengthen up front looks like really costing us. When Watkins hits a barren patch we've nothing else whatsoever, Davis isn't even Championship standard to be honest.  That's two years running they've done it now, and it's very naive I think.

I think they thought Wesley would be back quicker and decided to risk it.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2021, 09:23:54 PM »
What I don’t get is why we were so static around the penalty area, why we just lumped in hopeful balls, surely they practice movement when the box is saturated with defenders.
They were absolutely clueless, so either they do not practice pass and move or the players decided to go the hopefull route.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2021, 09:24:31 PM »
He should have given Archer more of a chance instead of sending him out on loan to Solihull Moors for the season. Davis has shown time and time again that he is simply not good enough by a long way.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2021, 09:27:07 PM »
You do not score goals by lobbing diagonal balls int to box.
You also need some threat with free kicks and corners, we have nine.
We were offensively inept and made it very easy for Their defenders.
I hope that Smith drops El Ghazi and Traore for Saturday.
I agree with your point about lobbing diagonal balls into the box. It was mostly catching practice for their keeper. Once they went to 10 men it was almost impossible to play the ball through a packed wall of striped shirts so we began lobbing the ball into the box. Matt Targett couldn't get going and gave poor service from the left and coupled with the absence of Grealish there was not a lot of supply from that side. Then on the other side we had Elmo trying unsuccessfully to replace Matty Cash's pace and ball delivery. All in all a recipe for an ineffective attacking game plan which panned out exactly that way.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2021, 09:30:51 PM »
Ergh, fucking 3rd of March is a right twat of date.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2021, 09:40:44 PM »
We had good opportunities to score and didn't take them. Elmo was caught badly out of position and ball gazing for their goal.
Konsa motm for me. Did you see his turn under pressure in our box on 70 mins?...sublime!
Subs were ineffective and I thought a little delayed anyway. Onto the next game with hopefully a better outcome. UTV!

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2021, 09:48:41 PM »
A night where nobody comes out with any credit.  Special mention for Elmo, who was utterly dreadful for their goal.  It almost smacked of "I won't be here next year so I can't be arsed".

Our crossing was woeful and we just ran out of ideas when we get near the final third.

And I'm going to stick my neck on the block Watkins is doing my head in.  Works damn hard, but misses far too many big chances for me.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2021, 09:52:43 PM »
Ergh, fucking 3rd of March is a right twat of date.

C*nt Night II.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2021, 09:53:51 PM »
A night where nobody comes out with any credit.  Special mention for Elmo, who was utterly dreadful for their goal.  It almost smacked of "I won't be here next year so I can't be arsed".

I’d say that’s quite unfair. He’s a great pro. He’s switched off, that’s all.

Defence had very little to do really, but going forward was our biggest problem, we should have won that at a canter and still been ok to let a silly goal in. It was dreadful and completely void of ideas on how to score.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2021, 09:56:25 PM »
Elmo looked like his legs had gone, his crossing was poor and every time he recieved the ball he turned inside and passed sideways or back. 2 games in a row too much for him.
Shocking lack of awareness for the goal.
I would give him 3 out of 10.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal