collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Redevelopment  (Read 528823 times)

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
Re: Villa Park Redevelopment
« Reply #1035 on: July 03, 2022, 02:40:26 PM »
The old football specials that ran from Priory Circus were always busy. Why can’t they be reintroduced? Maybe they don’t have enough vehicles?

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #1036 on: July 03, 2022, 04:52:19 PM »
It worked in the 70s. I remember buses lined up along the  Broadway during the match,then making their way to Witton Circle near the full time whistle.And a policeman was on duty at Perry Barr island to prioritise Aston Lane traffic.
Witton Road needs to be car free before and after the match to allow for shuttle buses.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1037 on: July 03, 2022, 04:56:00 PM »
It'd be interesting to see a breakdown of where people in an average 40K attendance come from and how they travel.*

(*Obviously it's Lichfield, Sutton Coldfield, the Shires and by chauffeur-driven Bentley)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1038 on: July 03, 2022, 07:49:33 PM »
At a guess I'd think buses to moor st and six ways would be the 2 key services, both then have decent links to go on from there.

Offline martyn ellis

• http://www.martin-martyn.co.uk
« Reply #1039 on: July 03, 2022, 09:25:08 PM »
At a guess I'd think buses to moor st and six ways would be the 2 key services, both then have decent links to go on from there.
I know by sight a few (and some to chat to) Season ticket holders who come up on the train from Euston Station. I used to drive up for years until I moved more centrally (London) which added 45 minutes to my trip and also because of the parking once they developed the site that now houses office space near the ground. It would be interesting to see how many come up from London (and environs and end up in New Street for a train to Witton or Aston.

Offline Clive W

« Reply #1040 on: July 03, 2022, 10:02:45 PM »
I know by sight a few (and some to chat to) Season ticket holders who come up on the train from Euston Station. I used to drive up for years until I moved more centrally (London) which added 45 minutes to my trip and also because of the parking once they developed the site that now houses office space near the ground. It would be interesting to see how many come up from London (and environs and end up in New Street for a train to Witton or Aston.

Completely irrelevant I know but back in the day, late 60’s early 70’s, I lived in Tunbridge Wells and then went to college in London. I used to catch the train to New Street and can remember walking up Corporation Street and I can visualise a big roundabout and the VP special buses went from the right hand side of the roundabout

As I said…totally irrelevant but brought back some happy memories

Online astonvilla82

« Reply #1041 on: July 04, 2022, 12:41:12 AM »
It'd be interesting to see a breakdown of where people in an average 40K attendance come from and how they travel.*

(*Obviously it's Lichfield, Sutton Coldfield, the Shires and by chauffeur-driven Bentley)
Bentley, good God, poor man's car, has too be the Rolls Royce old chap

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1042 on: July 04, 2022, 08:46:51 AM »

remember when David Gold turned up at Villa Park in his Roller

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1043 on: July 04, 2022, 09:26:41 AM »

I passed him and Gold on the motorway once, sets of friendly Vs were exchanged, and then I sped off.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #1044 on: July 04, 2022, 09:48:44 AM »

I passed him and Gold on the motorway once, sets of friendly Vs were exchanged, and then I sped off.

I was in Pat McMahon’s car, being driven up from London for the 5-1 Blues game when Gold sped past us on the motorway in his Bentley. I tried but was too slow to wind the window down and chuck my tin of Stella at him.

Offline Sdwbvf

« Reply #1045 on: July 04, 2022, 10:55:34 PM »

I do. When I have time to go. Used to do Marylebone to Moor Street then up to Witton. Most recently have done Euston since they destroyed the Marylebone service. Witton after the game was not bad for Watford. But then everyone had left early! Train back to London full of away fans can be a bugger. Had West Ham, Brighton, Villa and Wolves after the Brighton game. One walker at Euston had a go on the platform at me and my 9 year old. Haven't seen so many police at one station for years.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #1046 on: July 04, 2022, 11:24:44 PM »

I do. When I have time to go. Used to do Marylebone to Moor Street then up to Witton. Most recently have done Euston since they destroyed the Marylebone service. Witton after the game was not bad for Watford. But then everyone had left early! Train back to London full of away fans can be a bugger. Had West Ham, Brighton, Villa and Wolves after the Brighton game. One walker at Euston had a go on the platform at me and my 9 year old.

Fair play to him though, he got there quick.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 08:48:55 AM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #1047 on: July 05, 2022, 09:40:48 AM »
An email from the Supporters Trust this morning specifically mentions there being a music venue incorporated in the plans whereas Purslow or the stuff published so far doesn't seem to give that impression.

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #1048 on: July 05, 2022, 09:49:11 AM »
An email from the Supporters Trust this morning specifically mentions there being a music venue incorporated in the plans whereas Purslow or the stuff published so far doesn't seem to give that impression.

If you look at the overhead drawings which include Aston Hall, the Villa Live / Villa Way area has the building but also a cut-out square area with nothing in it. I thought this might be because more was going there and the building would be the shops and bars and restaurants.

It's the first drawing on the left here https://www.avfc.co.uk/villa-park/villa-park-future/.

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #1049 on: July 06, 2022, 09:17:51 AM »
I saw something the other day, I think it was on Football Insider so it's all rubbish, but it made me wonder what the reaction would be.

Would people be happy if the club sold a sponsor naming rights for the new stand or part of the Villa Live area? If the money was to go to improving the playing squad and FFP rather than to offset build costs.

I hate the very idea, but at the same time I can see how hard it is to compete on FFP without extra revenue. I think the Villa Live area might be better than the stand, especially if there's a music venue as that's quite normal to have a sponsor.

I'm glad I don't have to decide if I'm honest!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal