collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Redevelopment  (Read 528773 times)

Offline Duncan Shaw

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2021, 05:47:55 PM »
As I dont want the people in Wellington Road forced out. I suggest the one stop retail park in Perry Barr is demolished and we build a brand new stadium there. Four seperate stands all built similar to the present Holte End but incorporating as much of the old Trinity as present building regulations allow, all with the facade and steps behind. The present Holte holds just under 13.5k so I would estimate a total capacity in the region of 70k with such structures along both sides and ends. One would be called the William McGregor stand, one would be called the Eric Houghton stand, one would be called the Graham Taylor stand, and one would be called the Ron Saunders stand.
As we are pushing out the retailers, there would be a little shop outside on the corner. This would be called the Doug Ellis.

If we built a complete new stadium it would certainly be a wrap around like the Emirates

Build it in the city centre then. On the site of the old library !
There's already a 500 million pound development going up on that site called Paradise. The only available land of the size we would need in the city centre is the old wholesale markets site. But it's not going to happen.

Can you imagine if we built it in the City centre...it would finish the Noses off once and for all I reckon...."But dem viyull bastards ain't from the City....."

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2021, 05:48:41 PM »
Is an increase of capacity of around 8k worth it for what it would cost ?

Offline sid1964

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2021, 05:52:49 PM »
When I walk across Aston park the sight of seeing our ground is fantastic - I personally hope that we never move from Villa Park

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2021, 06:00:01 PM »

The recent Anfield development was quoted as £250 million.

That wasn't just a stand, it's other infrastructure in the area as well.

But still, it's quite a jump from the £15 million or so we paid for the new Trinity back in 2000.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2021, 06:12:30 PM »
It absolutely is. We have always had a top stadium. We currently have 2 stands which are nowhere near that standard. Penny pinching on the Witton lane stand and financial skullduggery on the North Stand are the reasons behind the current state of affairs. 2 brand spanking new state of the art stands would put Villa Park back in it's rightful place as one of England's finest stadiums.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2021, 06:16:45 PM »
If we were going to move, I'd prefer moving closer to the city centre. But I don't think it's necessary - rebuild the North Stand to have a similar capacity to the Holte End, which I think would take the capacity up to about 49000. I think that's fine for now, and still leaves a bit of scope to upgrade the Witton Lane stand.

Whenever I mention that I support Villa, at least to fans who actually go to watch their clubs, they almost always mention how much they like visiting Villa Park, and think it looks brilliant. It must have the same kind of effect on players. I also think you'd lose that completely with a wraparound stadium. I'd rather we stick with a slightly smaller ground (if you can call a 50k capacity ground 'small') but make it stand out.

I don't want a carbon copy of the Holte End facade. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love it, but I'd rather we have 4 unique stands that any other club would class as their 'main' stand. Love this stand at Ibrox, for example. I'm not the world's biggest Sevco fan, but I do think their ground looks absolutely brilliant

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2021, 07:01:25 PM »
As I dont want the people in Wellington Road forced out. I suggest the one stop retail park in Perry Barr is demolished and we build a brand new stadium there. Four seperate stands all built similar to the present Holte End but incorporating as much of the old Trinity as present building regulations allow, all with the facade and steps behind. The present Holte holds just under 13.5k so I would estimate a total capacity in the region of 70k with such structures along both sides and ends. One would be called the William McGregor stand, one would be called the Eric Houghton stand, one would be called the Graham Taylor stand, and one would be called the Ron Saunders stand.
As we are pushing out the retailers, there would be a little shop outside on the corner. This would be called the Doug Ellis.

One Stop isn’t big enough

Offline aldridgeboy

« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2021, 07:33:04 PM »
If we developed the Witton lane stand, would that make it the newest stand ever to be redeveloped?

Online The Edge

« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2021, 07:56:06 PM »
If we developed the Witton lane stand, would that make it the newest stand ever to be redeveloped?
It's actually an extension of the old Witton lane stand so no. Wolves have rebuilt the same stand twice since the 80's.

Online exigo

« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2021, 10:00:31 PM »
I've always thought our expansion model would be along the lines of Borussia Dortmund's. Four distinct stands still, but with corners filled in to amplify the atmosphere.

Expand the Holte out over Trinity Road. Mirror the Holte at the North Stand end. Do as much as we can to take the Witton back over the road.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2021, 10:19:45 PM »
It absolutely is. We have always had a top stadium. We currently have 2 stands which are nowhere near that standard. Penny pinching on the Witton lane stand and financial skullduggery on the North Stand are the reasons behind the current state of affairs. 2 brand spanking new state of the art stands would put Villa Park back in it's rightful place as one of England's finest stadiums.

Witton Lane was built on the cheap but the North Stand was state of the art at the time.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2021, 10:22:01 PM »
For me, if we're going to do this then it needs to be done properly. As suggested above, we do need to fill in the corners but on the basis of this linking the 4 stands together rather than being a bowl so Spurs/Dortmund not Arsenal.

Holte End - make it one tier, steeper rake and rail seating back to front.
Trinity Road - Upper Tier concourse needs to be bigger can we go our further.
North Stand - knocked down and start again, mirror the Holte if needs be but link around to Trinity and Witton.
Witton Lane - Knock it down and re-think, going to be difficult but it was done on the cheap and we need to work out how we can make it better. Two tier but rake on lower tier needs to be steeper.

I think I mentioned this before but we have a strange shaped site but have we got enough room to push the whole stadium back 50-100 yards utilising the mass of space we do have behind the North Stand? (ah just checked google maps and looks like we'd have to buy every house on the east side of nelson Road to make that work!!) 

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2021, 11:17:47 PM »
No way should we be doing that filling in the gaps thing.

Fuck that, it always looks half arsed and cheap.

I wrote an article about this for the fanzine a few years ago.

Our ground is four stands. That's the way it should stay or we become like the rest.

Online The Edge

« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2021, 11:28:02 PM »

Witton Lane was built on the cheap but the North Stand was state of the art at the time.
It was state of the art but was nothing like the stand it should of been. I believe that people were jailed due to financial irregularities surrounding its construction.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2021, 11:29:18 PM »
I'd want us to keep the four distinct, separate stands.

But make at least one of them even better and bring the overall finish to a higher standard.

Contrast the hotchpotch we have in the corner between the Holte and Witton Lane and the support posts on the Holte compared to a third rate outfit like Glasgow Rangers, for example.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal