collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:50:22 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 01:43:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:30:57 PM]

Re: Aston Villa Leisure Centre by Pete3206
[Today at 01:30:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Burnley vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 18872 times)

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Burnley vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #225 on: January 28, 2021, 08:49:33 AM »
Hard to fathom how we didn't win that with something to spare on the balance of play and chances created. We did play excellent football for a lot of that game. But Burnley did pick up in the second half, Luiz was poor throughout really but McGinn disappeared. Cork gave them more of a foothold in midfield. Aside from conceding three goals, biggest moan for me was the age old problem of the timing of Deanos subs. At 2-1 up, those subs should be made. Traore was squandering numerous openings and Barkley was running out of gas. Making those subs at 82mins when 3-2 down is not giving AEG and Trez much of a chance. Throwing Davis on seemed to push Jack to a holding midfielder role. That's ridiculous.

Martinez 5 - maybe harsh but I wasn't happy with him for the second or third goals. His centre halves did him no favour for the second one but his footwork was slow for their winner.
Cash 5 - a popular player on here but continues to be average defensively for me. Found McNeill a real problem in the second half
Konsa 6 - out of position for the second goal and struggled a bit with the physicality of it at times
Mings 7 - one of his better games but not happy at all with him for the second goal, for me he half bottled out of diving at that cross to avoid an own goal
Targett 7 - beaten in the air for the winner which spoiled a fine performance, another assist. Took wrong option with that shot in first half
Luiz 5 - complete passenger first half, not at the pace of game at all. Loose touches, very rarely tried to get the ball from the back and beaten in many physical exchanges
McGinn 6 - decent first half (his ball put Watkins clear didn't it?) but totally anonymous after half time. Needs to up it
Traore 6 - squandered so many chances and openings. An enigma really and should have been hooked at least 10 mins earlier
Barkley 6 - much better than last two games, ball hogging as always but influential and very unlucky to hit bar. Tired and hooked a little too late
Jack 9 - best player in the league, we completely mismanaged his role last 10 mins.
Watkins 8 - brilliant for most of the game before tiring late on. Lovely finish, poor effort on the one on one but always a threat

Subs AEG looked lively but not given enough time. Trez hardly had a kick and poor old Davis first touch was horrid

Surely Luiz deserves credit for a fantastic assist for Grealish.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #226 on: January 28, 2021, 08:51:14 AM »
We'd have benefitted from Trez coming on early second half, and Barkley being replaced with Ramsey not long after.

Online eamonn

« Reply #227 on: January 28, 2021, 08:51:20 AM »
It's so obvious we need another decent option up front, far more so than another midfielder.

He's on loan for the season at Solihull Moors.

Louie Barry? At least on the bench?

He's nowhere near physically ready

Barry, Archer or Davis are not ready/good enough. I'm not sure Wesley ever will be either. If we're aiming for top eight we need someone proven and fit to help Watkins.

Online eamonn

« Reply #228 on: January 28, 2021, 08:52:23 AM »
I know you can make statistics bend to how you want.....but with and without Barkley starting:

WITH

PLAYED: 9
WON: 4
DRAWN: 0
LOST: 5
SCORED: 19
CONCEDED: 16

WITHOUT

PLAYED: 9
WON: 5
DRAWN: 2
LOST: 2
SCORED: 14
CONCEDED: 5

Now this does include the Brighton game which wasn’t really hai fault but I think he’s looked well off the pace since his return, and I think he was anonymous in our defeats to Leeds and Southampton before that.

Outside the Liverpool game he has a great goal v Leicester and a single assist v Arsenal.

If Sanson is fit to start, I’d have him in Saturday

Conversely, Watkins only scores when Barkley plays !

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #229 on: January 28, 2021, 09:19:18 AM »
Respect to the way Dean has turned things round (largely) since the re-start last June, but last night was a huge reality check. We are a long away from being a top ten side. what really pisses me off his brushing aside one antediluvian on Saturday and being out thought by another a few days later.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #230 on: January 28, 2021, 09:22:51 AM »
We played some sublime football at times tonight and should have been out of sight at half time, gutted they won but thank fuck I don't watch a team every week that lumps it high and long hoping for flick ons and second balls.

We were lumping it up too Ollie for some god forsaken reason, maybe to give the lads a breather but it was the first time this season I've seen us do it often. It wasn't as if we were under pressure but it certainly helped create it and gave Burnley a bit of confidence.

I still think we're missing some quality up front, other than Ollie who could do with some real support. Traore still doesn't convince me, Trez is a workhorse and El Ghazi's overall contribution is still not enough to be first choice. All three are great for the bench. Jack's game goes through phases, early on often too deep, late on wanting to take on the world and in between generally fighting it out in midfield and trying to break forward. I do wonder whether we'd as a team be better with him playing closer to Ollie and floating across wherever he sees the space and opportunity to hurt teams.

As I mentioned on the Match thread, another rule I never knew was it's now legal to pull shirts; Mings had his pulled in full view of the ref yet Burnley get a corner. As others have said zonal marking is pointless especially against big, physical teams like Burnley. Subs were too late, maybe Marvelous could have come on to steady the midfield, throwing on Trez and El Ghazi so late on was desperate and asking for a miracle.

We'll need to be at our best for 90 minutes if we're to pick up 3 points against Southampton. We all know we're capable of it which makes losing to fcuking Burnley even more annoying.

Offline hipkiss92

« Reply #231 on: January 28, 2021, 09:27:41 AM »
Respect to the way Dean has turned things round (largely) since the re-start last June, but last night was a huge reality check. We are a long away from being a top ten side. what really pisses me off his brushing aside one antediluvian on Saturday and being out thought by another a few days later.

We are literally in the top ten with games in hand on all bar two teams in the league.

Offline danno

« Reply #232 on: January 28, 2021, 09:29:33 AM »
I thought we might need to be two goals clear by 70 mins, as we'd probably tire and let in a consolation goal. Their first equaliser was a wake up call and their second (jammy) was a gut punch.

I know we've had a settled side, but I do hope to see Trez and Marv back in the starting line up. I don't think our front four works hard enough without the ball. I love McGinn but one great clipped ball aside I thought he was poor yesterday.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #233 on: January 28, 2021, 09:30:58 AM »
We'd have benefitted from Trez coming on early second half, and Barkley being replaced with Ramsey not long after.

Absolutely.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #234 on: January 28, 2021, 09:33:46 AM »
We are brilliant even when we lose now
Although that’s an opportunity lost we would be right in the mix if we’d have won last night

We can moan about Burnley style of play all we like but breaking them down wasn’t the problem last night we scored two

It was conceding three at the other end that was the problem

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #235 on: January 28, 2021, 09:34:18 AM »

out thought ?  I think that we just got lazy thinking that the game would win itself and it cost us...

from where we were a year ago to here now is brilliant and we are a lovely football team to watch(that Grealish run along the bye line was amazing) and apart from the result, I thougt it was a great game.

onwards to Southampton nil :)

UTV
The Doc

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #236 on: January 28, 2021, 09:36:50 AM »
Quote from: Mister E link=topic=616 84.msg3902351#msg3902351 date=1611823874

I would have personally brought Marvelous on for Barkley and pushed McGinn a bit further forward. 

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #237 on: January 28, 2021, 09:39:46 AM »
Jack is being quoted as saying we need to start putting our chances away to finish teams off. This is spot on. Our defensive record is great this season so it just seems unfair when people are pointing the finger of blame at them whe so many chances are going begging at the other end. Jack himself would have scored one of our greatest ever goals if he could have just composed himself a bit better after his brilliant run. I dont think there's a player anywhere who could of made that run under such intense pressure from a team who we all know would have no qualms about inflicting serious damage if they could get near him.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #238 on: January 28, 2021, 09:40:45 AM »
Respect to the way Dean has turned things round (largely) since the re-start last June, but last night was a huge reality check. We are a long away from being a top ten side.

We are literally in the top ten with games in hand on all bar two teams in the league.

And we haven't been out of the top 10 all season. Strange comment.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #239 on: January 28, 2021, 09:42:52 AM »
We have repeated problems down our right side and that has to be addressed. Last night gives us the opportunity to change things for Saturday and one player I would certainly have back is Trez due to his impressive work rate in the first half of the season before his injury. He is not as creative as Bert but then we need to tighten up so that's the one change I'd make. I'd like to see Samson (sic) on the bench to give us a different option. I really like Barcley but there were a couple of occasions last night when he failed to tackle or close down a player in midfield during the second half when we were under pressure, an accusation levelled at Hourihane on here regularly.

Sometimes we need to really dig in to get the win and last night I thought we were found wanting in that respect.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal