collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Burnley vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 18870 times)

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
Re: Burnley vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #240 on: January 28, 2021, 09:48:49 AM »
Respect to the way Dean has turned things round (largely) since the re-start last June, but last night was a huge reality check. We are a long away from being a top ten side. what really pisses me off his brushing aside one antediluvian on Saturday and being out thought by another a few days later.
Out thought? With respect that's rubbish mate. Yes Burnley stepped up the pace and got stuck in more in the second half but that's not about out thinking us. Dyche's half time speech probably went along the lines of "come on lads get stuck into these fancy dan fukkers" They flunked one and got two very Burnley like goals. Out muscled us yes but out thought? No way.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 10:08:36 AM by The Edge »

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #241 on: January 28, 2021, 09:55:17 AM »
3 really shit goals.

Unmarked on a corner, there was another Burnley player gith behind him too, so it was 2 unmarked players in a row. Poor.
Jammy, cross, shit house, goes all the way in with no one attacking the ball on our side. Shit.
Overload on the right hand side, uncontested cross, good header.

3 wanker goals and poor defending for all 3 really on different scales.

Oh and can we not bother bringing on Davis when we need a goal. He's useless.

Online The Edge

« Reply #242 on: January 28, 2021, 09:57:26 AM »
Respect to the way Dean has turned things round (largely) since the re-start last June, but last night was a huge reality check. We are a long away from being a top ten side.

We are literally in the top ten with games in hand on all bar two teams in the league.

And we haven't been out of the top 10 all season. Strange comment.
We are now without doubt a bona fide top ten team. At times when it all clicks we have even the best teams on the rack even in spells against Man City. We have to turn more of these spells into goals. That's the next challenge. But after years of stinking out the Premier league we now look totally like a team that belongs in the top ten and have serious intentions of improving on that. It will come. I think some of our lot need to reflect on 10+ years of crap and be a little more patient. After all Rome wasn't built in a day.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #243 on: January 28, 2021, 10:00:25 AM »
If we start being more clinical, particularly the midfielders, then we can make a concerted effort on top 6.

Online The Edge

« Reply #244 on: January 28, 2021, 10:04:08 AM »
If we start being more clinical, particularly the midfielders, then we can make a concerted effort on top 6.
I agree with this. I mean West Ham are sitting top 4 so why not? Between them and VAR we were mugged at their place.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #245 on: January 28, 2021, 10:08:10 AM »
The problems
Corners
Our Right side
Barkley running out of gas
Poor game management

When you are so much the better team you should win, last night we were a shambles in the second half.
Some of these are recurring and Smith needs to sort it out.

Offline PhilVill

• Centre Right, but nice with it 😉😙
« Reply #246 on: January 28, 2021, 10:17:35 AM »
Morning all. Calmed down as was raging for the first time in years last night which shows how far this team has come in terms of progress.

The bottom line is that the top teams, when on top, put the opposition to the sword whilst their foot is on the throat. We need to be doing that as we should have been 3 or 4 up at half time. City on Tuesday night is the perfect example.

Hause is a good option for these types of games as he wins  heades every time for anything that's close to him. We desperately need another striker, Davis' time has come and gone and it now seems Wesley wont be fit until next season as he needs a pre season.

Anyway, would have been delighted with 29 points at this stage of the season four months ago so we go on!

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #247 on: January 28, 2021, 10:25:09 AM »
That felt like the Stoke 2-2.

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #248 on: January 28, 2021, 10:33:34 AM »
That felt like the Stoke 2-2.

Ah, don't remind me, I'm still not over it.

As comfortable an 80 minutes as I've witnessed at Villa Park and then... Is that the Top 4 leaving the building?

You're right. Last night felt as sick as that.

Offline martyn ellis

• http://www.martin-martyn.co.uk
« Reply #249 on: January 28, 2021, 10:35:14 AM »
12 hours on and having slept on it, I still can't believe that really happened. While Burnley are fairly low down on my 'what to like' list, they have a manager who knows how to battle through with a bunch of fairly average players (except McNeil who looked pretty sharp last night). With the games in hand I'm always anticipating that extra push to get us amongst the big boys so the pundits don't just simply ignore us (see West Ham 4th but with 20 games, which is where we could be), so last night was particularly galling - can't even moan about VAR, dodgy decisions or brutal tackles - OK, maybe Tarkovsky. This makes the Southampton game pretty crucial to our upward aspirations.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #250 on: January 28, 2021, 10:36:25 AM »
It’s extremely gutting to play so well and lose that and it’s a case of learning from it. I’d rather focus on how good we can be and how good we are too watch and remember how far we have come on this season than to keep dwelling on the negatives from that second half. There’s not a lot wrong really. The back four have been pretty damn good up to now, but they really did struggle with Burnley’s direct approach last night.

Offline martyn ellis

• http://www.martin-martyn.co.uk
« Reply #251 on: January 28, 2021, 10:36:56 AM »
Over two games 45 goal attempts and 1 point. Must be a record.

Offline Chris_Jephcott

• http://www.facebook.com
« Reply #252 on: January 28, 2021, 10:40:04 AM »
I’m over in the States with work at the moment and have just woken up.

First thing I did was to check the score to see if it was real or not. I simply cannot believe that we threw away the game yesterday.

If there’s one team I hate, it’s Burnley. Possibly due to what that bastard Mee did and got away with. Yet again, we needed to be more clinical. They rely on Pope to get themselves out of trouble far too much. Our defenders switched off too, I think our partnership between Konsa and Hause looked good and when Hause recovers, I’d like to see him get another go.

Either way, this defeat hurts.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #253 on: January 28, 2021, 10:40:32 AM »
Bogey teams come and go, expect for Newton Heath perhaps.

I remember Notts County being a particular pain in the arse, Wimbledon, Oldham, Palace.

Perhaps we have a new one in Burnley given the last two games agin them.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #254 on: January 28, 2021, 10:40:35 AM »
The galling thing about the goal from the corner was that there were two Burnley players attacking the ball against none of ours. You play all that silky, sexy football and then throw it away for a shittily won corner (Wood outmuscled Mings but he also could have been penalised for shirt-pulling) and a simple unmarked header.

I also blame Conor McNamara...he was on about the commentators curse in another recent Villa game he covered. First he bangs on about Villa never giving up a lead this season and Burnley never coming from behind to win (to which Stephen Warnock rightly poured scorn over) and secondly, just as Burnley won that corner (typically, it was their first of the game) he was waxing lyrical about how better we were playing. Just shut the fcuk up in future Conor or even better, stay away from our games. Clive Tyldesley is still weeping somewhere about being dumped by ITV, bring him in out of the cold and see how he does.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal